Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 266

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

  1. #181
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    That's my problem with the game threads. Either you have a bunch of people doing the pbp and the same post is repeated for 6 posts in a row:

    Dunn!
    Dunn HR!!
    Dunn goes yard
    Dunn, gone
    Adam!
    Adam HR
    That's like cheering or clapping. Game threads don't have to be boring. I like it when 6 posts in a row says that Dunn hit a homerun. People get to share their enthusiasm with each other for what happened.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #182
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,474

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    We're gonna have to get some sort of wager going... loser has to display a UK/Indiana avatar of the other's choosing for a couple weeks or something.

    If you're not CHICKEN, that is!

    As a Hoosier grad, I want in. Especially with the team IU has next year!
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

  4. #183
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Maybe we need to define "noise".

    To me, it's mindless yapping. No thought behind it.
    I would think it would be hard to crank out long, thought provoking posts in a game thread. While the pace of baseball isn't that fast, it's fast enough, IMO to prevent cranking out a paragraph about why a player could have gotten to the base quicker by sliding rather than running through the bag.

    But then again, I rarely show up in the game thread so it doesn't much matter to me.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  5. #184
    Member TeamCasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    TeamBoone's Attic
    Posts
    12,317

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Maybe we need to define "noise".

    To me, it's mindless yapping. No thought behind it.

    Are you TRYING to get me banned?
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

  6. #185
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wait a minute. In all this feal good vibery I overlooked one important thing. Does this mean that WillyMo guy will be allowed into chat? Holy crap! Wait a second. I have to rethink everything now.

    Everybody should stay in the game thread. Chats the sux ! Stay away!

    Lt and BRM type this 1000 times

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #186
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    As a Hoosier grad, I want in. Especially with the team IU has next year!
    Ahhh! Those damn IU fans! Just like cockroaches... you see one, that means there's a hundred more just waiting to scurry out! :
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  8. #187
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,061

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    To me a game thread is basically like sitting with your buddies in the stands and watching the game....sometimes the conversation is going to be rah, rah or uuuugggghhhhh.... sometimes a great conversation about strategy will break out where you can gain alot of insight or you'll talk about scouting reports or how to pitch a guy etc.... the only difference is that game threads alllow you to fact check via the internet in real time and the number of people who can hear you and your buddies (as well as join in on the conversation) is much greater...

    I like it when the game thread has an "at the stadium in your lazyboy" feel...

    The only draw back is sometimes people get a little more obnoxious on the computer than they would in the stands,,,, but redszone has that taken care of too.... think of the rep point system/moderators as cyber ushers....

    I guess I don't see the gamethreads as being in critical condition per se... they aren't 70 page versions of the Bill James Abstract for sure, but they still have redeeming qualities...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #188
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,474

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Ahhh! Those damn IU fans! Just like cockroaches... you see one, that means there's a hundred more just waiting to scurry out! :
    Well educated cockroaches.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

  10. #189
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    That's like cheering or clapping. Game threads don't have to be boring. I like it when 6 posts in a row says that Dunn hit a homerun. People get to share their enthusiasm with each other for what happened.
    Maybe that was a bad example. I agree, it doesn't bother me to hear people overjoyed when someone hits a HR or makes a big play. It's the routine plays, non events by the Reds or the team they are playing.

    It's a little worse when you see:

    "Eckstein grounds out to 3rd" in 7 variations, including 2 after the next batter has come to the plate and done something else after that...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  11. #190
    Member TeamCasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    TeamBoone's Attic
    Posts
    12,317

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Maybe that was a bad example. I agree, it doesn't bother me to hear people overjoyed when someone hits a HR or makes a big play. It's the routine plays, non events by the Reds or the team they are playing.

    It's a little worse when you see:

    "Eckstein grounds out to 3rd" in 7 variations, including 2 after the next batter has come to the plate and done something else after that...

    You're never going to be able to do anything about the numbers with multiple people posting about the same event within seconds. That's something you just have to live with considering the numbers of folks participating.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

  12. #191
    Member TeamCasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    TeamBoone's Attic
    Posts
    12,317

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    So sac up, RL!
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 04-17-2007 at 05:12 PM.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

  13. #192
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    You're never going to be able to do anything about the numbers with multiple people posting about the same event within seconds. That's something you just have to live with considering the numbers of folks participating.
    You're right.

    For the most part I'm at home when the games are on. I'm either watching or listening, but rarely am I online when a game is on. For the most part, I only notice game threads when there are day games, so most of my observations are drawn from those specific occasions. I should have just said "put me in the camp with M2 and others in that I don't like hitting refresh 100 times to keep up with the game thread." Would have been a lot easier than going into detail.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  14. #193
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    So sac up, RL!
    Professional advice right there. Noted.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  15. #194
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I would think it would be hard to crank out long, thought provoking posts in a game thread. While the pace of baseball isn't that fast, it's fast enough, IMO to prevent cranking out a paragraph about why a player could have gotten to the base quicker by sliding rather than running through the bag.

    But then again, I rarely show up in the game thread so it doesn't much matter to me.


    I'm not suggesting long, elaborate posts. I'm talking about saying something interesting.

    The whole "goRedz" vs. "you suck" dialogue is what I'm talking about.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  16. #195
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,702

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    So sac up, RL!
    Go Gators!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25