Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 266

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

  1. #61
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,190

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Come on now M2. It's only natural that people who have been around a while tend (notice I said tend, not will) be a little more sarcastic and loose with the rules from time to time.
    You may think that, but, quite frankly, we were always a pretty sarcastic bunch to begin with. You're talking about people who've known each other from multiple boards in the past (Fastball, DDN, Cincinnati.com, Dickie Thon). I'm telling you, it's the tendency of those people on that rep list to be themselves and that's probably no small part of the reason why they're on that list.

    For instance, I'm as obnoxious, overbearing, smug and self-congratulatory as I ever was. I'm totally on top of my game.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    For instance, I'm as obnoxious, overbearing, smug and self-congratulatory as I ever was. I'm totally on top of my game.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  4. #63
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,316

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    I don't really understand why some people feel the need to raise the minimum to get in the ORG. Unless it's just because they want it more exclusive, and that's fine, but I don't think that has much to do with the problems of the board or game threads. I mean is it people like me, who are barely stretching into the ORG, that are causing the problems? Maybe, but IMO it's the mostly from people who are no where near the ORG. If they are two seperate issues, then I get that and understand the want for it to be more exclusive.

  5. #64
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You may think that, but, quite frankly, we were always a pretty sarcastic bunch to begin with. You're talking about people who've known each other from multiple boards in the past (Fastball, DDN, Cincinnati.com, Dickie Thon). I'm telling you, it's the tendency of those people on that rep list to be themselves and that's probably no small part of the reason why they're on that list.

    For instance, I'm as obnoxious, overbearing, smug and self-congratulatory as I ever was. I'm totally on top of my game.
    So it isn't comfort level and longevity. Just some of those folks are plain old jerks? hahahahahah That makes it much easier to understand then. hahahaha

    Most of the folks you mentioned were grandfathered into ORG wern't they? Impossible to do, but it would be interesting to see how some of those sarcastic and occasionally condescending remarks would fly if they only had 107 points and 2 months of service time and working their way towards ORG.

    Like I said, I think the one thing you highlighted from my post is a very small part of the overall problem regarding the use of rep.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  6. #65
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,060

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Is it possible to make the game threads a slightly more elevated posting level than Reds Live but less so than ORG? I avoided it last night, and, like I said earlier, don't go near them when the team is losing, but if it is new people still getting acclimated, would holding off game threads from new posters for a month, and raising the level to posting in there to something like 75 or so points help at all?

    By the way, I have finally been here long enough to know that this comes up every year...

    Also, I think it was CE who defended the reason for the game threads earlier, and I am in 100% agreement. They are often fun to read after the fact, and a nice place to put general observations while the game is going on (or even after it is over). Unforunately, too many times new folks in particular are slow to realize the best way to participate in them...

  7. #66
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Maybe, but IMO it's the mostly from people who are no where near the ORG. If they are two seperate issues, then I get that and understand the want for it to be more exclusive.
    Agreed. The issues of the game threads have little to nothing to do with enterence into ORG. Totally unrealated issues IMO. Somone who has -52 rep points and is casuing trouble in the game thread likely is a ways off from posting on ORG.

    The issue has more to do with the proper self policing we all do. As GL said very well, we generally do a poor job of it.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  8. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I'm currious, why are you uncomfortable negging someone?
    Because I realize that:

    A: There is an emotional element involving the Reds for most people.

    B: There are some people on this board that I will not connect with due to style. However, that doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong to use that style.

    C: If people would not reward them/ignore them they would have no audiance, which is (IMO) what some people crave. Some posters get off on neg points because it proves (to them) that they are getting the audiance that they want and that they are 'getting to you'.

    Just me, I guess. (shrug)

    Rem

  9. #68
    Bada Bing cincy09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Zanesvegas, OH
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Let's talk about not negging. I have never negged someone on this board. I've always felt it's not necessary nor am I comfortable with it (even though someone has personally ticked me off). Maybe I'm wrong in that approach but I balance it with being very stingey with plus rep points. (shrug) Most days I give out none. I feel if rep points were more difficult to come by it would make ORG more 'exclusive' but I'm open to opinions on the matter.
    Rem
    I feel the same way about giving out the rep points. I have never been negged and I always try to post something that adds to the board. At the same time it took me almost 2 1/2 years and 1300 posts to reach Org. When I saw people getting here in a matter of days it was very discouraging. I realize some posters add enough to the board to warrant this, but at the same time rep points should be somewhat tough to come by.
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

  10. #69
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,096

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I would agree with that, but I like the seperation of ORG and Reds Live. Less noise.

    Maybe instead of rep there should be a mandatory 1 year wait to get access to ORG. Make it based on time rather than "rep". That way you can't say that a poster doesn't know what the "culture" of the board is before getting access to ORG. In 1 year they should know how this board is run and how they are expected to behave. If they don't want to stick around for a year, then how big of contributors are they going to be anyway?
    I think we have to accept that if we have a rep system or something similiar to it.. That no matter how tough the initiation is, we are going to see people on ORG that we'd rather not see.

    Personally, I make good use of the ignore feature. I have a group of people that rotate in and off it, depending on whether I want to deal with them on a given day.. For me, that's the best way to handle it, but I'm not saying it's ideal for everyone.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  11. #70
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Because I realize that:

    A: There is an emotional element involving the Reds for most people.

    B: There are some people on this board that I will not connect with due to style. However, that doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong to use that style.

    C: If people would not reward them/ignore them they would have no audiance, which is (IMO) what some people crave. Some posters get off on neg points because it proves (to them) that they are getting the audiance that they want and that they are 'getting to you'.

    Just me, I guess. (shrug)

    Rem
    Interesting. Never really thought about it that way.

    A: True, you have to use some judgement to know when someone is just "blowing off steam" and someone is downright being nasty.

    B: I've positive rep'd plenty of people I dissagree with, don't understand, don't get, etc. Conversly, I've negged a few people I usually agree with, or at least enjoy. But your point is a good one. People have to check themselves to make sure they are not negging someone just because they don't get them. But that gets back to the proper use of rep in the first place IMO.

    C: You may be right, but how many of those folks are lurking around casuing problems. 2 or 3? out of 500 or whatever it is. I'd say that's a very small minority of folks. That leaves plenty of people who have posted something that is beyond what is generally acceptable on RZ and a "slight correction" via neg rep would help them understand the decorm a bit better.

    Just my opinions. I might be way off on all that.

    PS: I might start negging you if you keep posting (shrug) in every last one of your posts :
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  12. #71
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    With this my first full year in RZ I've been interested in following some game threads and have clearly come to the same conclusion every single night...unless you want to truly be miserable and feel awful about the Reds and every single mistake, DO NOT FOLLOW ALONG...it's a simple premise, if a player has a previous record of doing something poorly and is on the RZ hit list (Milton, Castro, now add Ross), then the moment they don't succeed you know the board will explode with negativity...if a player with a poor track record is doing well (Lohse and the bullpen for ex.) their good results are going to be downplayed because we all know he stinks anyways...and expect a firestorm when the opposing forces of nature collide when Griffey and Dunn's names are invoked...

    Count me among those who can't handle that much negative emotion at the end of a day, when enjoying and rooting for the Reds is a joy in my life...I rooted like heck for Milton last night, I forgave Griffey and wondered how frustrating it must be for a HOF CF to have to learn a new position knowing your personal pride is on the line...I got excited for Ross because he looked much better at the plate and I will be confident the next time Coffey takes the mound...why???...because it's just a heck of a lot more fun rooting for this team for finding reasons why not to root for them...

    I have no problem with the intellectual debate that baseball brings (should he have pinch-hit, did he leave that pitcher in too long, why did he swing at the 2-0 pitch???) but on game threads the raw emotions render the debates unintellectual and simply become "he sucks" posts...I recognize folks' rights to let loose like that, but I've realized I just can't get sucked into it and feel good about watching or listening to the game...

    I hope I'm not out of line in my thinking...
    I agree coach.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

  13. #72
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,437

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That no matter how tough the initiation is, we are going to see people on ORG that we'd rather not see.
    What qualifies someone as a person you'd "rather not see" on ORG?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  14. #73
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,190

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Most of the folks you mentioned were grandfathered into ORG wern't they? Impossible to do, but it would be interesting to see how some of those sarcastic and occasionally condescending remarks would fly if they only had 107 points and 2 months of service time and working their way towards ORG.
    Honestly, I doubt a single person on that list would act any differently. I'm 100% positive those people would post the same as they do now and not give a rip if it was in the ORG or Red Live. There's a reason why RedsZone became the phenomenon it did in the first place, because you had a large group of Reds fans who weren't shy about writing down what they think.

    My guess is if you polled every single person on the board with more than 400 rep points whether they ever think about rep when they're making a post, you'd get a 100% response rate of no. I tend to view the assemblage we've got on the ORG as inevitable. We accept you, one of us.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  15. #74
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    What qualifies someone as a person you'd "rather not see" on ORG?
    People who can not spell.

    Serriously, very interesting question.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  16. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Game thread forum a mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    I feel the same way about giving out the rep points. I have never been negged and I always try to post something that adds to the board. At the same time it took me almost 2 1/2 years and 1300 posts to reach Org. When I saw people getting here in a matter of days it was very discouraging. I realize some posters add enough to the board to warrant this, but at the same time rep points should be somewhat tough to come by.
    I just looked and you're averaging about 1.6 posts per day. There are a number of people that come on here and post in the double didgit category from the get go---those people tend to acquire points very rapidly. (And I understand that, for some people, finding a place to talk to other Reds/baseball fans is a very emotional, exciting thing, so I'm OK with that.) Others, like yourself, tend to take a more conservative approach---one influences the rep points more directly than the other. (For LtlAbner : )

    Rem


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25