Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel signed to a two year extension

Re: 2 more years for Freel

Generally you don't sign guys to be able to trade them.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

WHen CF's like Pierre get a 4 year deal worth $10M per season, I don't mind extending Freel at, what, $4M?

Freel is better than Pierre, I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Freel is quite a bit more than a solid back up player.

He plays at a near regular pace.
    But he hasn't played well at a regular place, IMO.

He might lose his job to Hamilton before the end of the year.

I would've prefered to "Wait and see" on this one.

I don't think he has enough service time to be a free agent after this year anyhow.. but that is just a guess. If he's only arb eligible, I wait until after the season. If Freel plays well and burns us next year at arb, so be it.

I'm all for extending core players, but Freel is not a good risk, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Just because other teams jumped off a cliff this off-season doesn't mean we should follow. We already had Arroyo signed for a few years. I think we should have waited to make sure he proved his value over a larger sample size. His 2006 season, by all accounts, was due to a lot of luck with BABIP. I liked the Harang signing a great deal, I just thought we jumped the gun with Arroyo.

I hear what you say, but if Arroyo repeats his 2006 season, his price would have been jacked up even more.

We extened him like the 200 inning 4 ERA guy he likely is. If he gets better than that, we have a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Just because other teams jumped off a cliff this off-season doesn't mean we should follow. We already had Arroyo signed for a few years. I think we should have waited to make sure he proved his value over a larger sample size. His 2006 season, by all accounts, was due to a lot of luck with BABIP. I liked the Harang signing a great deal, I just thought we jumped the gun with Arroyo.
    For his career...Arroyo has a 4.20 ERA. He averages 200 IP over the past few years. Ted Lilly has a 4.50 ERA for his career and has never pitched 200 innings. We did just fine with the Arroyo deal.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    He might lose his job to Hamilton before the end of the year.
    Freel doesn't have to start to be valuable -- especially when you consider how fragile Jr. has been the last few years.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I am pessimistically optimistic about the underlying themes of this move. Either that or totally ambivilant.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Generally you don't sign guys to be able to trade them.

Bronson is the exception to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Believer since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I am pessimistically optimistic about the underlying themes of this move. Either that or totally ambivilant.
    At least we know where you stand.
    Bowman Card Collector

Extending Freel is a good deal. It gives the Reds someone who can play the OF or 2b at a moments notice and he is the teams only true leadoff hitter.

He's even the emergency catcher, and if Ross continues to hit at a subpar .100 pace, the emergency may be sooner than later.

Additionally, as I said last year, another good sign is that the Reds have finally got rid of the darn "we won't negotiate contracts in season" that was a hallmark of the Uncle Carl era.
    Where we gonna go?

I wonder if they shoved him this pile of money so he won't start to moan about getting less and less playing time because of Hamilton? Like the rest of you, I am interested in the numbers. He's never been an everyday player and at his age I doubt he becomes one now, however I love him as a super sub who gets 450 ABs a year. Let's hope WK sees this and pays him appropriately.

As fans we have a right to be leery of big contracts because they force us to watch players who otherwise would have been cut or benched...not to mention any names...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Freel doesn't have to start to be valuable -- especially when you consider how fragile Jr. has been the last few years.

4.5 million for a 4th OF seems too much (assuming we gave him 9 million over 2 years), even if he can play CF.

An outside observer would claim the Reds are jacking up the market again, and have a pretty good argument.

Freel has a decent OF glove, but if his OBP skills are vanishing, he's not worth much, since he has zero power. I really don't consider his value at 2b/3b either, since he is a weak glove there and Narron never uses him there.

My fear is that Freel has been showing a decline in OBP since the second half of last year (when he started playing more). Hopefully, he can reverse that trend.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

4.5 million for a 4th OF seems too much (assuming we gave him 9 million over 2 years), even if he can play CF.
    That's nothing. 8+ million for a fifth starter is way too much!
    Where we gonna go?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Insurance policy for Junior getting injured, Hamilton falling flat and reverting back to what he was: an old A-baller, or Chris Denorfia never getting back on the horse after his injury.

If either of those happen, then the Reds are short an OF -- with still probably 2 more years until the cavalry (Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs) come charging in from the minors.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

John Fay thinks it's a good signing, FWIW.

I think any time you can get a player of Ryan Freel's caliber locked up for a reasonable rate, it's a good deal. I think that's what happened here. I don't know the numbers yet, but he Reds wouldn't have signed him if they had to break the bank to do it. That said, I could see Freel going back to being a utility guy if Josh Hamilton is what they think he is. So, no, I don't think they signed him to trade him.

Turn Off Ads?