Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why didn't the Reds protest the game last night.......

Why didn't the Reds protest the game last night.......

after the bad infield fly ruling or can you protest a thing like that? Just curious.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why didn't the Reds protest the game last night.......

Judgment call by an umpire isn't something you can protest.

PROTESTING GAMES.
    Each league shall adopt rules governing procedure for protesting a game, when a manager claims that an umpire’s decision is in violation of these rules. No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire. In all protested games, the decision of the League President shall be final.
    Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team’s chances of winning the game.

Anyone have a link for a video of the infield fly call?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

thanks for the info.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Anyone have a link for a video of the infield fly call?
    I saw replays of it last night- the 2nd base ump clearly called the infield fly rule (incorrectly) while the ball was in the air (ie- before the 2nd baseman mistimed his leap).

Terrible call, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about it at this point.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I saw replays of it last night- the 2nd base ump clearly called the infield fly rule (incorrectly) while the ball was in the air (ie- before the 2nd baseman mistimed his leap).

Terrible call, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about it at this point.
    It sounds like a bad call. An infield fly should only be called if the fielder can catch the ball with ordinary effort.

Between this and not calling EE getting hit on the hands the other day in Chicago, makes me wonder whats up with the umps this year.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Isn't every call a "judgement call" by the umpire?

I've never seen a play reversed because of a protest. Never. So, IMHO, it would be futile.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

An umpire can screw up a rule interpretation, the George Brett pine tar incident I am pretty sure was protested.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    An umpire can screw up a rule interpretation, the George Brett pine tar incident I am pretty sure was protested.
    That wasn't my point at all.

I know they can screw up a call; they do it all the time.

But you saw the rule posted earlier in the thread... a judgement call can not be protested. Again, isn't every call a judgement call?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

That wasn't my point at all.

I know they can screw up a call; they do it all the time.

But you saw the rule posted earlier in the thread... a judgement call can not be protested. Again, isn't every call a judgement call?
    Lets say for example a team bats out of order, the umpire then makes a wrong ruling and allows a batter to bat who should not of been allowed to bat because the team batted out of order. This is not a judgement call but instead its screwing up a rule interpretation which ultimately could be protested.

I've never seen a play reversed because of a protest. Never. So, IMHO, it would be futile.
    I believe some incorrect home run calls have been...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Tommy Lasorda got a play reversed that wasn't a judgement call in a game vs. the Reds several years ago.

I don't remember the exact circumstances, but it had to do with a baserunner being hit by a batted ball and being called out. However, because he was hit behind the fielder, he should not have been called out.

The ump blew the call, Tommy was right and the call was changed. But in arguing the call, Tommy got ejected. Fun times.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

What's exactly the protest rule stating what you can and what you can protest?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

pretty much so.

I'm surprised it wasn't overruled by one of the other umpires. But I think what happens is this- as soon as the infield fly is called, the defensive part of the play is essentially over. So, once it's called (rightly or wrongly) it's irrevocable. The defender, at least in theory, stopped defending when he saw the infield fly signaled by the 2nd base ump. In other words, I don't think it was overturnable, like a home run call might be, if another ump had a better angle.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    pretty much so.

I'm surprised it wasn't overruled by one of the other umpires. But I think what happens is this- as soon as the infield fly is called, the defensive part of the play is essentially over. So, once it's called (rightly or wrongly) it's irrevocable. The defender, at least in theory, stopped defending when he saw the infield fly signaled by the 2nd base ump. In other words, I don't think it was overturnable, like a home run call might be, if another ump had a better angle.
    I think that's the deal right there. It was the baseball equivalent to football's "inadvertent whistle" on a fumble.

Turn Off Ads?