Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst blown umpire calls....

Worst blown umpire calls....

In honor of last night's horrific "infield fly" call, I give you...

What is the worst blown call you've witnessed in a baseball game?

I might have started a simular thread before, but frankly I've started so many threads, I don't feal like going back through all of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Worst blown umpire calls....

MLB only or amateur also? If its amateur I could write a book on calls I have missed alone..lol
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Jorge Orta and Denkinger

The new one I can think of is Doug Eddings. I've watched baseball my whole life and I've never seen an umpire make such a weird call in such an important game.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The one I will never forget that was later reversed was a Reds-Cubs game from Wrigley back in 1984. Ron Cey hits a foul ball way foul into the seats in the left field corner. This was not in any way close to being fair. The 3rd base umpire called it a home run. At that point Mario Soto lost it he pushed the ump and later was waving a bat at someone that I believe had thrown something from the stands. Another ump reversed that call because it was so obviously foul but I remember that one because it led to a near riot and Soto was suspended for about a week.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

The first one can can ever recall seeing is the one that hurt maybe the most.

Bottom of the 6th inning, 1st game of the 1970 World Series (1st one ever played on artificial turf), the Reds had two on and one out. Ty Cline bunted, Bernie Carbo came flying down the line, and he, Elrod Hendricks, and the home plate ump, Ken Burkhardt, all tangled together. Burkhart never saw the play, Hendricks tagged Carbo with his glove (and the ball was in his bare hand) and Burkhart called Carbo out.

Replay clearly showed the play to be incorrect, a young Sparky Anderson almost had a stroke on national TV, and the score remained tied at 3-3. The Orioles went on the win that game 4-3, and take the series 4-1.

I'll see if I can find a picture to post...
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    The one I will never forget that was later reversed was a Reds-Cubs game from Wrigley back in 1984. Ron Cey hits a foul ball way foul into the seats in the left field corner. This was not in any way close to being fair. The 3rd base umpire called it a home run. At that point Mario Soto lost it he pushed the ump and later was waving a bat at someone that I believe had thrown something from the stands. Another ump reversed that call because it was so obviously foul but I remember that one because it led to a near riot and Soto was suspended for about a week.
    Is that the game when Zimmer was the 3rd base coach for the Cubs and he went bonkers? I remember him protesting a HR or a foul ball against the Reds, but I don't remember the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The new one I can think of is Doug Eddings. I've watched baseball my whole life and I've never seen an umpire make such a weird call in such an important game.
    The call was Doug Eddings? That is a weird call!

It was around 1978, the Reds had I believe Morgan on first base and a batter with a count of three balls and i think no strikes on him. Morgan stole on the next pitch but the umpire did not say if the pitch was a ball or strike. The throw nailed Morgan and he was out but if the pitch was ball four then Morgan would of advanced to second base with the batter walking. I dont remember a whole lot else other than Sparky got ejected over it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    The first one can can ever recall seeing is the one that hurt maybe the most.

Bottom of the 6th inning, 1st game of the 1970 World Series (1st one ever played on artificial turf), the Reds had two on and one out. Ty Cline bunted, Bernie Carbo came flying down the line, and he, Elrod Hendricks, and the home plate ump, Ken Burkhardt, all tangled together. Burkhart never saw the play, Hendricks tagged Carbo with his glove (and the ball was in his bare hand) and Burkhart called Carbo out.

Replay clearly showed the play to be incorrect, a young Sparky Anderson almost had a stroke on national TV, and the score remained tied at 3-3. The Orioles went on the win that game 4-3, and take the series 4-1.

I'll see if I can find a picture to post...
    This is the one that came to mind for me. I was able to find one picture of it that shows Burkhardt horribly out of position.

There is another photo that I've seen that clearly shows Hendricks tagging Carbo with his glove with the ball in plain site in his bare hand, stretched far away from the tag.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    Jorge Orta and Denkinger
    Easily the worst call in MLB history, almost called him safe before he touched the bag.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

I was at the game where Pete shoved Pallone. Whether or not the call at first base was "bad" or not wasnt the issue. It was the fact that Pallone took what seemed an eternity to make the safe call. Meanwhile the entire time that he was hesitating the runner from second was coming home. Sure Esasky should have just thrown home anyway but he believed that he hadnt come off of the bag and the inning was over. I still remember the first base coach, I believe it was Bill Robinson, pointing at the corner of the bad insinuating that Esasky's foot had come off the bag. Pallone deserved to be shoved if you asked me.

By the way, what people tend to not remember about that game was the fight that happened earlier in the game. Tim Teufel had homered off of Browning in the first inning I believe and the second time he came to bat, Browning just absolutely drilled him in the back. Right between the numbers. Teufel fell to the ground and Strawberry charged the mound from the dugout. Lloyd McClendon was catching that night and came out from behind the plate and tackled Straw before he got to Browning, but then a pretty formidable fight broke out. Good times.

Jorge Orta and Denkinger
    Yep. Worst call with the most impact.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Jorge Orta and Denkinger
    By far the worst, especially in a very meaningful game.

IMO, Pallone was the worst MLB umpire I have seen in my 36 years of watching baseball. No one else is even close.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post

IMO, Pallone was the worst MLB umpire I have seen in my 36 years of watching baseball. No one else is even close.
    Frank Pulli was bad also. I remember he blew a outfield catch call Dave Collins made in the first game of the 79' Playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?