Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ervin Santana or Brett Myers?

Ervin Santana or Brett Myers?

I have Santana on my team and he is struggling right now. Historically he has a somewhat high WHIP for a fantasy starter and does not have a high K rate.

I have been offered Myers in a trade. If Myers stays in the pen for a long time then obviously it would not be a good trade for me to take. If he returns to being a starter though then I see it as an upgrade over Santana. My fantasy team is about to be 0-3 even though on paper I should be rolling over my league so I feel I need to do something to roll the dice and shake up my team, but I am wary over how long incompetent Phillies management is going to keep Myers in the pen.

Thoughts???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ervin Santana or Brett Myers?

I wouldn't do it.

Ervin Santana is pretty young, and should have a pretty solid season IMO

Also, a full season of Myers at starter isn't a whole lot better than Santana. And Myers won't be starting anymore, and I really don't see him moving back (you know how stubborn old managers are)

I could see him getting back into the rotation at the all star break when Maniel is fired (just a guess), but that would be begging for an injury IMO

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

When you look at Santana's home/road splits, you can only start him when he's at home, so he's effective for basically 18 starts a year.

I think he's terribly overrated, and I should have realized that when I drafted him myself. He was valuable last year because he had a winning streak, but wins are flukey.

Brett Myers is no longer a starter. He has been send to the bullpen since no one else can get anyone out. Myers as a reliever doesn't have much value unless he is the closer.

I declined the trade offer. Santana's road starts are killing me. I did not pay any attention to his home/road splits before the season and thought he would be a high quality fantasy starter for me. I guess I will only start him when he is pitching at home and maybe then only against weaker AL teams.

Hopefully Lincecum comes up soon because I grabbed him this week. I just need some wins out of my pitching staff. Quality starts by guys like Bonderman and Hamels are being ruined by their teams' bullpens and I keep getting slaughtered in the wins category every week.

I'm thinking of just dumping Santana, but he does have a home game this Sunday, so I'll use him for that.

I actually would do the Myers for Santana deal. Depending on how deep your bench is, you could stash Myers until the Phillies realize they are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I actually would do the Myers for Santana deal. Depending on how deep your bench is, you could stash Myers until the Phillies realize they are idiots.
    What makes you think that they will?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

I would like to be able to take that chance but I am already holding roster spots for Lincecum and Bailey and am hurting for wins.

I would keep Santana and drop Bailey for someone else.

Even in a keeper league with 16 holdover spots? I am scared of losing Bailey for the years to come...

I didn't realize it were a keeper league. In that case, I'd hold on to Bailey with a very firm grip.

Turn Off Ads?