Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/17/07 - Brewers @ Reds

Re: 4/17/07 - Brewers @ Reds

I don't think they were saying he isn't selective. I think they were saying that he hasn't really "cut loose" with his swing -- that he is erring on the side of making contact and taking a more defensive stroke. In fact, I think they were paying him a compliment -- saying "hey, just wait until he starts looking for a pitch in his zone and really taking a full cut." Sorry if I didn't make that clear with my post.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    How many walks does he need to have... Hamilton has been pretty selective so far.
    4 walks.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by jfar23 View Post
    Take out Griffey and put back in Edwin and we're onto something.
    Agreed

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Take out Griffey and put back in Edwin and we're onto something.
    That would be too easy, though Freel should really sit. How on earth he takes away at bats from anybody, I have no clue.

He's Chris Sabo without the bat.

I do like the idea of him catching, though.

I have this sinking feeling that Hamilton is going to be treated like he has to fight for a spot all year.

Why not take the reigns off and see what he can do full-time?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Actually, I'd like to see Freel be the everyday catcher. That would answer most problems this team has (except for the defense part of catcher).
    Other than the fact that he wears down fast enough when he plays the OF, such that catching should wear him down after a game or two, and other than the fact that he's probably caught only a few innings in his life, it sounds like a wonderful idea.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    According to Trent's blog, Josh Hamilton hit a ball over the right field stands in batting practice this afternoon.

That's unreal.
    Well Hamilton is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Edwin finally gets a hit and now he's benched.
    I agree, even some of his outs have been well hit.

But Freel adds the speed and possible table-setting factor early in the game, and EE would be a more potent late RBI threat if the right PH opportunity arises.

What?

Redszone has a complaint about a lineup?

You don't say...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Edwin finally gets a hit and now he's benched.

A lot of times what happens is that guys are told a few days in advance they are going to play or sit. Maybe EE was told even before last night's game that he was going to sit this one out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    What?

Redszone has a complaint about a lineup?

You don't say...
    I'm completely stunned.

The Cardinals got smacked around by the Pirates and the lefty Gorzelanny today. It would be nice to win tonight and put another game between us and the Cardinals.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-17-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Encarnacion sitting out tonight doesn't bother me too much. If he sits three games per week now, then I'll be a bit irritated, but I'll give Narron the benefit of the doubt for now ... until it happens (if it happens).

I've always believed that most players should get a day off for rest/reset the mind around every three weeks or so, and that includes guys such as Encarnacion and Phillips. Even if they sit once out of every dozen games or so, I'm fine with that provided the replacement is at least ok. Freel qualifies in that sense.

I'd love to see some sort of rotation where both Encarnacion and Phillips get one game off every two weeks with Freel filling in for those days. If all players were healthy thoughout the season, Encarnacion and Phillips would still play around 145 games each season, and Freel would log around 30 games in the infield.

Then give Griffey one day off per week and give Hamilton one day off per week with Freel filling in for them during those games. Griffey and Hamilton would still log around 140 games, and Freel gets 40 more games himself. Heck, give Adam Dunn a game off per month and let Freel fill in for that game too. That's six more games for Freel. Even give Dunn one or three starts at first base per month and give Freel even more games in the outfield, which in that case is sort of like Freel giving the 1B platoon a rest. That could be another dozen games for Freel.

If that type of system was implemented, then Ryan Freel would start around 90 games per season just as a side-effect of giving players some regular rest. That's not even counting any possible number of injuries where any of those core players may miss a few more games with Freel filling in for those too.

Those are some of the things I would do if I were managing the team. All the core every day players would still be playing basically full-time, and Freel himself would log a ton of plate appearances himself throughout the season.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Encarnacion sitting out tonight doesn't bother me too much. If he sits three games per week now, then I'll be a bit irritated, but I'll give Narron the benefit of the doubt for now ... until it happens (if it happens).

I've always believed that most players should get a day off for rest/reset the mind around every three weeks or so, and that includes guys such as Encarnacion and Phillips. Even if they sit once out of every dozen games or so, I'm fine with that provided the replacement is at least ok. Freel qualifies in that sense.

I'd love to see some sort of rotation where both Encarnacion and Phillips get one game off every two weeks with Freel filling in for those days. If all players were healthy thoughout the season, Encarnacion and Phillips would still play around 145 games each season, and Freel would log around 30 games in the infield.

Then give Griffey one day off per week and give Hamilton one day off per week with Freel filling in for them during those games. Griffey and Hamilton would still log around 140 games, and Freel gets 40 more games himself. Heck, give Adam Dunn a game off per month and let Freel fill in for that game too. That's six more games for Freel. Even give Dunn one or three starts at first base per month and give Freel even more games in the outfield, which in that case is sort of like Freel giving the 1B platoon a rest. That could be another dozen games for Freel.

If that type of system was implemented, then Ryan Freel would start around 90 games per season just as a side-effect of giving players some regular rest. That's not even counting any possible number of injuries where any of those core players may miss a few more games with Freel filling in for those too.

Those are some of the things I would do if I were managing the team. All the core every day players would still be playing basically full-time, and Freel himself would log a ton of plate appearances himself throughout the season.

That sounds like it makes a little too much sense.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Why is Cavs live on FSN right now?
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick View Post
    Why is Cavs live on FSN right now?
    Reds Live is on for me but I have both FSN Ohio and Cincinnati.

Turn Off Ads?