Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Infield Fly Rule

Infield Fly Rule

I posed this question on the "Narron let me down tonight!!" thread, but have seen no response there so I thought I'd ask it anew.

I'm curious about the scoring Monday on Conine's infield fly rule call by the ump.

According to Yahoo Sports, Conine (in the box score) was 0 for 3, no RBI:"Bot 6th: Cincinnati- J. Conine popped out to shallow center, R. Freel scored, B. Phillips to third, A. Dunn to second." Shouldn't Connine have gotten an RBI?

What if the Brewer second baseman had actually caught the ball (without the infield fly rule being called) over the shoulder, sprinting into the outfield and all runners and Freel had tagged up and scored. That would have been a sac fly for Conine, right?

Perhaps it still should be a sac fly because Freel did advance a base after the "fly ball out" call by the ump. Seems similar to scoring after an ump rules "caught" on an outfielder's shoestring catch that appears to some (including runners) to be trapped.

How did the official scorer account for Freel's run, if not due to Conine's batted ball which was ruled "caught"? Granted, I do not know whether or not Freel tagged up.

From the rule book (abridged for sake of brevity):

10.04 Runs Batted In
    A run batted in is a statistic credited to a batter whose action at bat causes one or more runs to score, as set forth in this Rule 10.04.

(a) The official scorer shall credit the batter with a run batted in for every run that scores

(1) unaided by an error and as part of a play begun by the batter's safe hit ... sacrifice bunt, sacrifice fly, infield out or fielder's choice, unless Rule 10.04(b) applies;
    (2) by reason of the batter becoming a runner with the bases full (because of a base on balls ... or
    (3) when, before two are out, an error is made on a play on which a runner from third base ordinarily would score.

(b) The official scorer shall not credit a run batted in

(1) when the batter grounds into a force double play or a reverse-force double play; or
    (2) when a fielder is charged with an error because the fielder muffs a throw at first base that would have completed a force double play.
    (c) ... holds the ball or throws to a wrong base ...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Infield Fly Rule

I agree...I think Conine deserves an RBI.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Accordingly to Rosecrans' blog, official scoring change to an rbi.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    I posed this question on the "Narron let me down tonight!!" thread, but have seen no response there so I thought I'd ask it anew.

I'm curious about the scoring Monday on Conine's infield fly rule call by the ump.

According to Yahoo Sports, Conine (in the box score) was 0 for 3, no RBI:"Bot 6th: Cincinnati- J. Conine popped out to shallow center, R. Freel scored, B. Phillips to third, A. Dunn to second." Shouldn't Connine have gotten an RBI?

What if the Brewer second baseman had actually caught the ball (without the infield fly rule being called) over the shoulder, sprinting into the outfield and all runners and Freel had tagged up and scored. That would have been a sac fly for Conine, right?

I believe that would be correct. And the runners would have to wait until the fielder caught the ball to advance. Otherwise they could get a head start going to the next base.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I agree...I think Conine deserves an RBI.
    Yup...This got changed to an RBI for Conine, as it should. If you're scoring at home, that goes 4U.

Also, it's not a sac fly. A Sac fly has to either be:

A) caught (which is the normal situation, of course)

or

B) dropped for an error AND the scorer must rule that the runner would have scored even if the ball was caught cleanly. Neither was the case on that play.

Turn Off Ads?