Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notes: Freel willing to give up job

Notes: Freel willing to give up job

Say what you want about Freel, but there's no doubting he is a team player and wants to win.

Notes: Freel willing to give up job
    Selfless veteran says rookie Hamilton needs to stay in lineup
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- You won't hear something like this every day from a ballplayer.

The ink had barely dried on Ryan Freel's new, two-year, $7 million contract extension on Monday, and he was already discussing his willingness to give up his everyday spot in center field to Josh Hamilton.

"I think this kid is something special," Freel said. "With the addition of him on this team, I might be working a little more in the infield, which I don't have a problem with. I just know that kid helps us win. He's an unbelievable player."

Hamilton, the former overall No. 1 draft pick in 1999 by Tampa Bay with a well-chronicled off-the-field past, has been a national sensation since making the Reds out of Spring Training as a Rule 5 Draft selection.

With Hamilton as the fourth outfielder behind Freel, Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn, manager Jerry Narron has been challenged to find the rookie starts and at-bats. Narron has had Freel, a utility player that can play five positions, taking ground balls at second and third base the past few days.

"I know you have to have a guy like that in the lineup," Freel said of Hamilton. "He's one of the better athletes I've seen. Sky's the limit for him. I will put myself aside any day, any time in order for us to win a championship. Regardless of where he's been and what's he done or only playing this much, he's the type of guy that can step in and play every day. And he's the type of guy that will put up good numbers if you stick with him. I don't have any problem with that ... especially now."

Hamilton was not in Monday's lineup vs. the Brewers, but he started four of the previous five games. And as a pinch-hitter Monday, the 25-year-old Hamilton hit his third homer of the season, a two-run shot in the ninth inning in the 10-6 loss. He has plenty of respect for Freel and his selflessness.

"That speaks for itself," Hamilton said. "Me and Ryan have a good relationship. We get along, not just in baseball but off-the-field things. We have a lot of stuff in common. I'm the same way he is. If he plays, I'm rooting for him. If I play, he's rooting for me."

Reds manager Jerry Narron planned to start Hamilton somewhere in the lineup on Tuesday.

"We have to find a way to get him out there as much as possible," Narron said.

Dunn's back: Dunn was back in the starting lineup Monday after he was a late scratch Sunday because of back spasms. Before flying home on the charter flight from Chicago, the left fielder had to take muscle relaxers.

Dunn said his back locked up on him a second time before going to bed Sunday night, but he was in better shape a day later.

"It's not even close," Dunn said. "I can stand up. It's still real sore like someone had taken knives out of me."

In Monday's game, Dunn went 3-for-5 with a double and a run scored.

Gonzalez not back: Still away tending to his hospitalized 7-month-old son, Johan, in Miami, shortstop Alex Gonzalez remained on the bereavement list and did not play Monday. Juan Castro started at shortstop, as he has since Friday.

Gonzalez met with his son's doctors on Monday afternoon, and it is possible he'd be back in time for Tuesday's game.

Harmon honored: One day after a Major League Baseball-wide celebration to honor the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking baseball's color barrier, the Reds honored Robinson and their own history-maker, Chuck Harmon, on Monday.

Harmon was the Reds' first African-American player 53 years ago. He made his debut on April 17, 1954, against the Brooklyn Dodgers. Harmon, 82, threw a ceremonial first pitch to Griffey before Monday's game. Griffey wore Robinson's No. 42 in Sunday's game at Chicago.

In memory: The Reds held a pregame moment of silence in reflection of Monday morning's tragedy at Virginia Tech, where 32 students were shot and killed by a gunman.

Coming up: Matt Belisle (2-0, 1.50 ERA) will start for the Reds on Tuesday at 7:10 p.m. ET in the second and final game of their series with the Brewers. Right-hander Dave Bush (1-1, 5.25) is Milwaukee's scheduled starter.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Notes: Freel willing to give up job

Wow.

I'm impressed
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Unbelieveable selflessness by Freel, say what you want about his play on the field, good or bad, these kinds of quotes are ones that you hardly ever see in professional sports nowadays. Kudos to you Ryan, a breath of fresh air, I applaud you.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Lets just hope he doesn't ride with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Freel is a every manager's ballplayer. Plays 110% and does what's good for the team.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

How very Pete Rose of him.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Or become real good friends. If there is anyone that shouldn't hang around together it is Freel and Hamilton. Maybe Freel is just really smart and is trying to act like his friend and then when Josh least expects it, he is "partying with Freel and Farney." Man that Freel is smart... He is trying to eliminate his competition while we applaud him.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

While I appreciate the sentiment, I think it's worth pointing out that it's easy to say "I'd rather win than play" when you're capable of playing so many positions on the field. It's hard to imagine the Reds other 2 starting OFs making the same bold pronouncement. I don't think it should be held against them if they don't.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    While I appreciate the sentiment, I think it's worth pointing out that it's easy to say "I'd rather win than play" when you're capable of playing so many positions on the field. It's hard to imagine the Reds other 2 starting OFs making the same bold pronouncement. I don't think it should be held against them if they don't.

True, but he did just sign a contract extension and win the centerfield starting job.

I say give credit where credit is due.
    ~ Mark Twain

"That speaks for itself," Hamilton said. "Me and Ryan have a good relationship. We get along, not just in baseball but off-the-field things. We have a lot of stuff in common. I'm the same way he is. If he plays, I'm rooting for him. If I play, he's rooting for me."
    "Plus, Farney is my NarcAnon sponsor."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

How does Narron get Freel into the lineup with lots of right handed pitchers coming up? Hamilton must start these games. EE sat last night; I don't think EE will sit regularly.

Could be that Freel will sub for Phillips occasionally; for Hatteberg occasionally with Dunn playing first; for Griffey occasionally to rest him; for Hamilton against lefty pitching. Still, Reds are again in the position of having 9 starting position players with only 8 positions.

I wonder if the Reds are thinking of making Freel the regular third baseman and either converting EE to first base or trading EE. I don't like this solution defensively, where EE has really picked things up at third. I do think the Reds need EE, offensively since EE is one of the few power righty bats.

If EE were moved, perhaps along with Votto, for a power righty first baseman, with Freel then moving to third, that could improve the lineup, if the Reds were to get the right guy.

But realistically, I think we will see Freel subbing all over the field, resting everybody except the catcher and shortstop.

Am I the only one not distressed by Phillips' start to the season? Sure, it's been slower than I would like, but why hold him to a higher standard for that slow start than the rest of the team? He's taken enough walks to allay some of the OBP fears, and is hitting the ball with authority. I don't think Freel grabs too much playing time from Phillips. Especially as well as Phillips plays defense...

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Or become real good friends. If there is anyone that shouldn't hang around together it is Freel and Hamilton.
    It's happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal McCoy
    Freel and Hamilton, fast becoming close friends, were ecstatic when they saw the lineup card and realized they were 1-2 in the batting order.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Or become real good friends. If there is anyone that shouldn't hang around together it is Freel and Hamilton. Maybe Freel is just really smart and is trying to act like his friend and then when Josh least expects it, he is "partying with Freel and Farney." Man that Freel is smart... He is trying to eliminate his competition while we applaud him.

Insanely brilliant.

Turn Off Ads?