Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Honesty

Re: Refreshing Honesty

I'd jost like to thank Fox Sports Ohio for letting us watch games this year and not have to listen to Grande ramble on the whole time. Thom and Jeff have made watching the games fun again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It was also refreshing when Brantley would openly criticize the ump's strike zone... IE Hamilton's strikeout looking at the low pitch, Brantley called it a 'horrible call'...

My wife stated "now that sounded like a professional broadcast"

In reference to Valentin's double, I loved how Brantley said afterward, well it many not have been smart baseball but it worked. Had me rolling...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    agreed.... Welsh and Grande are homers
    I wouldn't say homers, I'd say afraid to call out anyone on anything.

the 2-0 pitch was thigh high right down the middle, exactly the kind of pitch he should be swinging at (the 2-1 pitch they rightly called him on) but in those situations you are looking for a pitch to drive and score multiple runs. Why let the pitcher off the hook by taking a really good pitch to hit?
    Totally agree. That 2-0 pitch was a pitch Valentin will often crush. I was glad he took a rip at it -- he didn't miss it by much. The next pitch was just a good slider -- give the pitcher credit.

So far, I'm not a big fan of Brennaman Junior. The righteous indignation when he perceives Reds players to being playing poorly is going to get old fast, at least for me. If he's going to announce that way, put a powdered wig on him and give him a gavel to smash. I really can't stand guys who never played sitting in judgment of the best players on the planet -- so long as those players are giving it an honest effort.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the 2-0 pitch was thigh high right down the middle, exactly the kind of pitch he should be swinging at (the 2-1 pitch they rightly called him on) but in those situations you are looking for a pitch to drive and score multiple runs. Why let the pitcher off the hook by taking a really good pitch to hit?
    Because the pitcher just threw 10 straight balls with the bases loaded of a tie game. Swinging at a 2-0 pitch after two straight walks, with the bases loaded, is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do. Take until the pitcher throws a strike. Luckily, it paid off a couple of pitchers later, but so many of these Reds really don't know how to play the game. This time it worked, but so many times it hasn't.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Not Laughing

Thom has annoyed me so far. He called out Javy then jumped right on his bandwagon when he drove the runs in.

I think it's about Thom making himself fimiliar with the players. Javy is not going to take borderline pitches. It's not his style. The Reds don't have many patient hitters and he just needs to adjust to it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Dad and I laughed are butts off when they both said that he should not have swung then he slamed the ball for a three run double.lol
    Yeah but they were they first ones to say something about it too. As soon as it happened Brantley said something along the line that 'it may not have looked like a professional at bat but he sure made it work for him'. I've enjoyed the heck out of Thom & Jeff so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Because the pitcher just threw 10 straight balls with the bases loaded of a tie game.
    Game was no longer tied

My biggest Thom gripe is the constant use of the phrase.."I'm getting the feeling."

What an empty phrase, one that holds no water other then ..In my opinion" Thom uses that line too much, too often and somewhat cloaked in a aura of undefined "authority" It becomes a hammer during an at bat and he relentlsly often pounds on the point.

With that said here's as interview with a D Backs fan (and blogger) about Thom's time in the SW.

http://baseballchurch.blogspot.com/

1. Did you like having Thom as a broadcaster?

Overall, I'd say yes, all though it really depended on who was doing the color commentary that night.

2. What did you like best about him? What did he do well?

He was easy to listen to and had a very distinctive voice and was an overall classy guy. He always seemed like he was having fun while calling the game, and seemed like he enjoyed his job immensely.

3. What did you not like about him? What grated on your nerves?

Thom wasn't very savvy when it came to the game at times. He'd often ramble on about "first pitch hacking" or relatively meaningless stats like average with runners in scoring position. He'd often attack rookie players for making mistakes, when veteran players were playing poorly. He had very little knowledge when it came to the more "modern" statistics, such as on base percentage. It was the little things like that that a lot of fans hated. He'd often go wildly off topic and not even call the game depending on who he was paired with (especially Mark Grace.)

4. What do you think of his home run calls?

Not very memorable.

5. Did you ever get the impression that he was arrogant? Can you give examples?

Yes. His rants about first pitch hacking, and rookie mistakes.

6. What were some of the irritating things he would say over and over again?

First pitch hacking

7. Did you ever scream shut up at your television?

Most fans would just turn the volume down and turn the radio. But yes, I have. Mostly when he'd veer completely off topic,and go on and on for an inning with out talking about what's going on in the field.

8. Do you think Thom's national broadcasts are different than his local broadcasts?

Yes, he tends to stay more focused on the game, and he tends to not go off on tangents as much.

9. Are you glad to get rid of him?

Yes and No. Thom has been the only constant with this team since the beginning. He was there for all the memorable games in Dbacks history - the 2001 title, Johnson's 20k game, and Johnson's perfect game. Those games are etched in the minds off all Diamondbacks fans. However, with the new direction the team has taken, it was appropriate that Thom left when he did. Unfortunately, a few fans have taken his leaving negatively, and feel that there's some sort of "conspiracy" by the front office that forced him to leave. These are the same fans who hate the new colors and who don't have any clue how good these young guys are.

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My biggest Thom gripe is the constant use of the phrase.."I'm getting the feeling."

What an empty phrase, one that holds no water other then ..In my opinion" Thom uses that line too much, too often and somewhat cloaked in a aura of undefined "authority" It becomes a hammer during an at bat and he relentlsly often pounds on the point.

With that said here's as interview with a D Backs fan (and blogger) about Thom's time in the SW.

http://baseballchurch.blogspot.com/
    This D-backs fan has pretty much nailed it. Thom is even worse when paired with Brantley.

I don't understand his obsession with swinging on the first pitch. In some situations it's not wise (i.e - lead off batter of the game, 1 pitch outs made prior to your at bat), but a lot of times the best pitch you see in an at bat is the first one you see.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Wow, that is spot on by that Diamondbacks fan.
    Go Gators!

I think the more casual fan likes the team of Grande/Welsh, while an intense fan like myself enjoys Thom and JB a lot more. I'm a guy who screams at the TV after an error, but runs around in circles when the Reds hit a homer. I like an announcer who is critical of a player that makes a mistake, PARTICULARLY a mistake that can be easily corrected. Notice how they don't criticize someone for popping up a 2-2 pitch? They criticize for mistakes like Griffey not hustling from 2nd base to score on a base hit. Yes, Griffey has had a great career, but if he's not going to hustle then he's teaching some of our players horrible habits. For instance, Phillips "strut" after the ball he hit off the wall in center. Where'd he learn that? Griffey.

Yes these players are the most talented in the world, and some say we have to right to criticize them. But notice the criticism isn't necessarily about talent, but bout mental mistakes. Lack of patience at the plate, lack of hustle. I hate hearing GG and CW act like it's a sunny day in the park when we're down 6-1 because I'm pretty ticked off in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU View Post
    This D-backs fan has pretty much nailed it. Thom is even worse when paired with Brantley.

I don't understand his obsession with swinging on the first pitch. In some situations it's not wise (i.e - lead off batter of the game, 1 pitch outs made prior to your at bat), but a lot of times the best pitch you see in an at bat is the first one you see.
    I actually think as a fan you will learn more from thom. He is a little arrogant and likes to drive home the point a little too much, but he is vey knowledgable.

I do agree with him on the first pitch hacking obsession. Too many times the reds are undiciplined and give pitchers easy innings. Freel swinging at the first pitch monday after milton struggled through a high pitch inning is bad baseball. Last night when Valentine swinging at an 2-0 pitch when the pitcher had thrown 6 straight balls was poor. EE too often chases bad pitches early in the count to fall behind. Unless your Jr. or Dunn I dont want to see a red hacking at a bad first pitch to fall into hole. Especially in the first innings of a game I want the reds batters to see as many pitches as possible. If that means giving Freel the take sign on his first at bat then so be it.

Notice how they don't criticize someone for popping up a 2-2 pitch?
    True, but they also pick their spots.

Example, Valentin, Griffey and Dunn all K'd looking at the same pitch, inside and tailing in on the hands, Javier got a pass from Brantley, he went on about how hard that pitch is to hit, and the action moving in is/was unexpected.

Griffey and Dunn do the same thing after Hamilton and Freel get on and they go hard on them about what a great opportunity they just missed (no doubt it was) and how Dunn had K'd before and Griffey didn't score from 2nd and how amazing it was that they failed and Hamilton succeeded.

Which is all fine and dandy... except the whole time "I'M thinking (maybe not others) why not allow Dunn and Griffey the same excuse that Valentin received? That and give a little credit to Shouse who did HIS job.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    True, but they also pick their spots.

Example, Valentin, Griffey and Dunn all K'd looking at the same pitch, inside and tailing in on the hands, Javier got a pass from Brantley, he went on about how hard that pitch is to hit, and the action moving in is/was unexpected.

Griffey and Dunn do the same thing after Hamilton and Freel get on and they go hard on them about what a great opportunity they just missed (no doubt it was) and how Dunn had K'd before and Griffey didn't score from 2nd and how amazing it was that they failed and Hamilton succeeded.

Which is all fine and dandy... except the whole time "I'M thinking (maybe not others) why not allow Dunn and Griffey the same excuse that Valentin received? That and give a little credit to Shouse who did HIS job.
    I'm disgusted that DISH doens't have EI this year, but I have had the opportunity to listen to Brantley/ Marty. There is no doubt that Brantley has elevated Marty's overall professionalism. I completely agree about the 'honesty'....which Marty has always had, it's just not as cynical and snide this year. I think Marty respects Brantley's baseball knowledge, and is more on his game than he has been for the last few years.

For the love of all that is holy, however....Marty needs to do PBP only, (and when he's doing pbp, do pbp, not random dialogue in the 7th inning of a great ballgame) and Brantley needs to do color only.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?