Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Honesty

Re: Refreshing Honesty

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I'm disgusted that DISH doens't have EI this year, but I have had the opportunity to listen to Brantley/ Marty. There is no doubt that Brantley has elevated Marty's overall professionalism. I completely agree about the 'honesty'....which Marty has always had, it's just not as cynical and snide this year. I think Marty respects Brantley's baseball knowledge, and is more on his game than he has been for the last few years.

For the love of all that is holy, however....Marty needs to do PBP only, (and when he's doing pbp, do pbp, not random dialog in the 7th inning of a great ballgame) and Brantley needs to do color only.
    I've only radioed up once this year and Brantley's PBP is lower scale when measured against his peers, good color though, however he like Grande has a word he overuses (it's escaping me now, but Grande's is "Brilliant")

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Props to Thom B. for showing some self-awareness. His acknowledgement that he DID beat it to death in Arizona gives me hope. That line most of us see, where he can impart a criticism without leaving the point lifeless and strewn all over our tv sets, was found last night. He and Brantly had a solid broadcast...

He said that?! I'm impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Because the pitcher just threw 10 straight balls with the bases loaded of a tie game. Swinging at a 2-0 pitch after two straight walks, with the bases loaded, is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do.
    Yeah…I'm going to…disagree….
    [/lumberg]

A guy who has thrown 10 straight balls is going to try to throw a get-it-over fastball at some point. If a batter thinks he's looking at that pitch right now, you better believe I want him swinging at it.

Now, I certainly understand that some people advocate taking until you have a strike, but that strikes me as awfully passive if it means watching a crushable pitch go by just because.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He said that?! I'm impressed.
    He did.

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I've only radioed up once this year and Brantley's PBP is lower scale when measured against his peers, good color though, however he like Grande has a word he overuses (it's escaping me now, but Grande's is "Brilliant")

JB's overused phrase has been "My Goodness!!". But not just a regular "My Goodness!!". A country boy "My goodness!!". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

And using "fixin" as an adjetive for "going to". But Thom already called him out on that one.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU View Post
    JB's overused phrase has been "My Goodness!!". But not just a regular "My Goodness!!". A country boy "My goodness!!". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

And using "fixin" as an adjetive for "going to". But Thom already called him out on that one.
    No, I'm thinking of a descriptive word that is equal to "Brilliant" something like "Superb" or "Premier"

It's not a big deal, I just keep hearing that same word and it really stands out.

But as a somewhat "new" announcer (at least day to day without production meetings and a teleprompter.) he'll likely listen to tapes of himself and note what phrases he overuses or maybe understates.

Jeff also says "we" a lot when referring to the Reds, which Marty calls him out on, since Marty himself used to make that same mistake until a player corrected him, way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Yeah…I'm going to…disagree….
    [/lumberg]

A guy who has thrown 10 straight balls is going to try to throw a get-it-over fastball at some point. If a batter thinks he's looking at that pitch right now, you better believe I want him swinging at it.

Now, I certainly understand that some people advocate taking until you have a strike, but that strikes me as awfully passive if it means watching a crushable pitch go by just because.
    You green light Dunn and Jr not Valentine. Even if he does throw a get over fast ball the hitter still has an advantage considering the pitcher is having control problems, the count is 2-1, and bases are loaded.

It's all about philosophy. That's what makes baseball so great. Neither decision (either having him swinging away or taking) is the wrong call, it just depends on your philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You green light Dunn and Jr not Valentine.
    The poster I was responding to would disagree with you. He said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    Swinging at a 2-0 pitch after two straight walks, with the bases loaded, is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    No. He doesn't. But you can always count on him to tell it like he THINKS it is.
    Isn't that what we do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    No. We always have all the facts.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    No. We always have all the facts.
    That's right. I forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Nobody tunes into us to hear the game
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Nobody tunes into us to hear the game
    The complaints from the game threads beg to differ.

Turn Off Ads?