Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Teams that are in first.....

  1. #1
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Teams that are in first.....

    Are the teams that have done the best against their own division.

    So far at least, through about 1/12th of the season, every division's leader also has the division's best record against their own division opponents, including the REDS.

    It pays to have a fast start when you start off the year playing against your own division.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,054

    Re: Teams that are in first.....

    [QUOTE=Eric_Davis;1307555]Are the teams that have done the best against their own division.
    QUOTE]

    This is also a reflection of the fact that the majority of the games played to date have been within each division.

  4. #3
    Member Moosie52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    577

    Re: Teams that are in first.....

    It's interesting that no team has taken off on a rocket yet.

  5. #4
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,139

    Re: Teams that are in first.....

    The Dodgers, Braves and Mets are out of the gates fairly strong. I've seen a few Mets games and that team looks awesome. It's at the top of MLB in ERA, SB and DER, second in runs per game (1st in the NL). It's a haymaker of a club.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  6. #5
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: Teams that are in first.....

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Dodgers, Braves and Mets are out of the gates fairly strong. I've seen a few Mets games and that team looks awesome. It's at the top of MLB in ERA, SB and DER, second in runs per game (1st in the NL). It's a haymaker of a club.
    Their rotation (without Pedro) is their only "weak" spot, and it's still decent.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  7. #6
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,139

    Re: Teams that are in first.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Their rotation (without Pedro) is their only "weak" spot, and it's still decent.
    I actually think their rotation is going to be pretty good. Maine and Perez are both picks of mine to have good seasons. Plus, they've got a Hall-of-Famer about to blow past 300 wins, two top prospects (Pelfrey and Humber), a reservoir of guys like Jason Vargas and Jorge Sosa, Pedro coming back for the latter portion of the year and the means to go and get a pitcher this summer.

    IMO, the biggest problem that team is going to face is that the game will seem so easy by the time it gets to October that it might not be properly focused for the playoffs (though losing the NLCS in seven games last year might have innoculated against that too).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  8. #7
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: Teams that are in first.....

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I actually think their rotation is going to be pretty good. Maine and Perez are both picks of mine to have good seasons. Plus, they've got a Hall-of-Famer about to blow past 300 wins, two top prospects (Pelfrey and Humber), a reservoir of guys like Jason Vargas and Jorge Sosa, Pedro coming back for the latter portion of the year and the means to go and get a pitcher this summer.

    IMO, the biggest problem that team is going to face is that the game will seem so easy by the time it gets to October that it might not be properly focused for the playoffs (though losing the NLCS in seven games last year might have innoculated against that too).
    I think they'll definitely acquire another SP in July. They'll want another veteran at the top of the rotation for the playoffs.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25