Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Narron's double standard

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Narron's double standard

Me, being the fair and unbiased one that I am () thinks Jerry is insulting our intelligence.

This isn't EE standing in the batters box on a pop up bad, but, it still goes against the "you better hustle" stuff he preaches.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-18-2007 at 03:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jerry sent a message with the EE thing that he was going to be more of a diciplinarian this year. That he wasn't going to put up with some of the stuff in the past. I think he completly destroyed that with Phillips last night. If you ask me Phillips is about as important of a cog as EE is to this team's success this year and why send a message to one yet not the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    This isn't EE standing in the batters box on a pop up bad, but, it still goes against the "you better hustle" stuff he preaches.
    This is the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. I know what Phillips did wasn't as bad as what EE did and I know the situations are a little different. However, Jerry's stance was "hustle or sit" after EE's incident. Now it seems the stance is that a lack of hustle is alright as long as you hustle later.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but this is Narron's quote about Phillips' triple from C Trents blog.

"I told him I was thankful he made it to third base, because I would have hated for him to not been in there in the ninth inning," Narron said. "I thought it was out. The only thing I can tell you is, as long as guys get the bases they're supposed to get, that's all I ask for."

Thats fair enough if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't know if this has been discussed, but this is Narron's quote about Phillips' triple from C Trents blog.

"I told him I was thankful he made it to third base, because I would have hated for him to not been in there in the ninth inning," Narron said. "I thought it was out. The only thing I can tell you is, as long as guys get the bases they're supposed to get, that's all I ask for."

That's the very quote that caused this thread.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

So if Phillips ran to third first instead of first, does that count as making it to the right base?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That's the very quote that caused this thread.
    E - K Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    So if Phillips ran to third first instead of first, does that count as making it to the right base?
    If EE had sprinted straight to the dugout that night, would that have been sufficient?

As some one who works with young, talented people (read: BIG fragile egos) I can't necessarily blame Narron. He knows his players far better than we do. EE will react far differently than Phillips. Anyone who has ever coached or taught knows that you have rules, but if you are honest with yourself you don't apply them the same way to everyone all the time.

I was ticked at Phillips for not hustling, but in the end he got the job done and the game was out of hand. Edwin stood and watched a pop fly in a tight game, and that is inexcusable.

Jerry Narron is a huge hypocrite.

That's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jerry Narron is a huge hypocrite.

That's all I got.

I just think a lot of folks here hate Narron and Krivsky so much that they parse and dissect every word Narron and Krivsky say to the point that there is no way they can open their mouths w/out someone questioning them. And then when they don't talk, they're accused of not being forthcoming. RZ is sure a tough crowd to please.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

And EE thought his ball was foul. So he gets benched and Brandon gets a talking to. Yeah. That's real fair.

The question her is did Brandon hustle out of the box. The answer is no he didn't. At least EE thought his ball was foul. Brandon was just trying to style on what he knew was a fair ball. Everything I ever learned about baseball is when you hit the ball fair, you run. If you don't run, you're loafing. What if the OFer fell down? What if his throw was wide of 3rd base? Brandon could have scored but because he loafed out of the box, it wouldn't have happened. Narron has a double standard just as plain as day. I know he says he loves EE but I bet EE wishes he would quit loving him so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    This is the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. I know what Phillips did wasn't as bad as what EE did and I know the situations are a little different. However, Jerry's stance was "hustle or sit" after EE's incident. Now it seems the stance is that a lack of hustle is alright as long as you hustle later.
    That's my take on it, too, BRM.

I was there last night, and was busy following the ball, slack-jawed (he killed it, I swear the thing jumped and then knuckled back down), as it hit the CF wall; I did not notice BP not running at the time, but I do believe what I've read since.

I was more put out with his "no look, behind the back, pitch-flip" on a possible DP ball last night, earlier in the game- what kind of crap was that?? I hope now that Brandon is feeling more comfortable here in Cincinnati, that he doesn't revert back to the "bad-boy Brandon" of Cleveland infamy. He said and did all of the right things last year, and made many fans for himself in the process.

After thinking about this for a while, I can understand how Junior has a different standard than some of the younger guys. It might not be fair, but that's just how it is. I don't understand a different standard for EE and BP. All I can guess is that Phillips eventually ran, and EE did not, and that was Narron's deciding line, at that point, in his mind.

If I'm the manager, I put Freel at 2B tonight, EE at 3B, and Hammy in CF. Just to make a small point with Brandon. Then the next night I put EE and BP both back in and leave them there, to give them some love, and build their confidence back up. But I can understand using the same lineup tonight as last night; it's the most hits this team has had since August, I'd bet.
    sorry we're boring

But Chip, once EE realized that the ball was fair he just stood there. That's not excusing Phillips' show boating but it's just not the same thing IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I was more put out with his "no look, behind the back, pitch-flip" on a possible DP ball last night, earlier in the game- what kind of crap was that?? I hope now that Brandon is feeling more comfortable here in Cincinnati, that he doesn't revert back to the "bad-boy Brandon" of Cleveland infamy. He said and did all of the right things last year, and made many fans for himself in the process.
    That was durring the small portion of the game I got to see. I also thought that was a bad decision on his part.

Turn Off Ads?