Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Narron's double standard

Re: Narron's double standard

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    ...You can lollygag and showboat as long as you start running once you realize you've screwed up. Nevermind that it likely cost you a base...
    A. What if Phillips had been forced to hold up at second with a double, or had been thrown out at third? Would he then have been benched?

B. Was it not Brandon's showboating reputation about which Narron first spoke to Phillips upon his joining the Reds? Something about wanting more substance and less "style" from the ex-Indian?

C. I think that on two ground balls on which Phillips deftly charged and scooped in front of the bag, Brandon's "stylish" "no-look" flip behind him towards the SS cost the Reds a force out (involving Castro in one of the previous recent games) and a DP (involving Gonzales Tuesday night). Granted, they were extremely difficult plays for an average athlete, but personally I would have expected more substance, less style, and a better result from one of the best MI athletes I've ever seen. Obviously, this instance if not from lack of hustle.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    They clearly see some work ethic/attitude/approach issues with Edwin that they're trying to correct. You really can't criticize Phillips for those things. He's one of the real gamers on this team.

And I think EE is in danger of punching a ticket out of Cincinnati. Not saying it's the right move, but I think they want to get Hamilton in the lineup without getting Freel out of it (as has been said many times, Freel is the team's only true leadoff hitter). I think Edwin could be the odd man out and trade bait by the deadline.

If anyone listened to the radio broadcast last night, it's pretty obvious that those close to the team see this as a little more than just Freel going back to super-sub duty. It may not play out that way, but that's the way they see it right now.
    Edwin's outburst against the Cubbies didn't help anything either. Not that it wasn't justified, but it was another example of him winding up on sports center for the wrong reasons, and I don't know if Jerry has a lot of patience for that kind of stuff.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

It's funny, one person's "outburst" is another person's "passion". For my part, I loved seeing him heated about the call. He's struggling, he knows he's struggling, and is fighting to escape the slow start. I appreciated his display of emotion and would have been more discouraged if he had just accepted the bad call...

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It's funny, one person's "outburst" is another person's "passion". For my part, I loved seeing him heated about the call. He's struggling, he knows he's struggling, and is fighting to escape the slow start. I appreciated his display of emotion and would have been more discouraged if he had just accepted the bad call...
    I'm glad he argued the call... to not do so would have been a crime. But slamming all of his equipment on the ground is no good. Its like when pitchers trash the dugouts. There are other ways to express your anger, and other avenues to use to argue calls. And then there are the players who are too "passoniate" like Big Z. He gets in trouble a lot when he cares too much about a call.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I can't think of a single team I've ever seen in which the manager treated all the players exactly the same.

True. But when a manager says for the record that anyone who doesn't hustle will not play without exception, I tend to believe that if you don't hustle, you don't play. I didn't think it meant that you could loaf at first then hustle and it's OK. I didn't think it only applied to young Hispanic players.

The wheels are being greased for EE to be sent out of town sure as I'm sitting here. I've seen it before. Young player comes on the scene and he's praised for his hard work and dedication and after a couple of years, if he's not producing, there starts to be whispers about how he doesn't work hard. Then when he's finally shipped out of town, he becomes the object of ridicule and scorn and there will be stories about how he was a lazy player and how much better off they are without that player. It happened with Pokey - although he did help dig his own grave, it happened with WMP, Kearns and Lopez and the same thing is happening with EE. It's just a matter of time.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Not at first. Apparently it's okay to not hustle as long as you make up for it later.

Yes you are pretty much right. Don't fool yourself and think that Phillips had an inside the park homer. Berry woudln't have sent him; not at that point in the game with that score. Nothing was lost here. Phillips ended up on third no matter if I jogged up the first base line or not. My money is on the fact that he realized he wasn't hustling, then went all out to correct it.

What EE did was different. Once he picked up the ball he should have ran it out. What if the fielder dropped the ball and had the thorw to first base? EE would still have been watching from the batters box. He did nothing to correct his mistake.

It's all about bad judgment recognition...
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

I don't necessarily agree with Narron pulling EE from the game the other day but I don't equate what he did and what Phillips did as exactly the same thing either. As for EE, IMO he seemed to be sleepwalking through the first week of the season and I think it's the managers prerogative to shake a guy's cage if that's what he thinks is going on. I've seen Bobby Cox pull Andruw Jones from CF in the middle of an inning for not hustling on a single into the OF. Managers do do that sometimes.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I don't see it that way. He got to third, thats what he was supposed to do. I guess he could've gotten an in the park HR, but you can't get upset with a guy for a triple. He made up for his lack of hustle by busting his butt to make it where he was supposed to.

On the other hand, EdE was supposed to get zero bases since the ball was caught.. Appliying that logic, EdE shouldn't have been yanked from the game since it was an out anyhow, and he "got the bases he was supposed to".
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    And I think EE is in danger of punching a ticket out of Cincinnati. Not saying it's the right move, but I think they want to get Hamilton in the lineup without getting Freel out of it
    I agree with your speculation. This fits in with an earlier rumor thread (forget the source) which speculated the Reds might be shopping EdE and moving Freel back to 3b.

We've seen what happens when Wayne shops a player he's not particularly fond of, and the results aren't good.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If you thought EE's defense was bad at 3rd last year, just wait until Freel plays there this year.

I think there is just as much hypocrisy on this board when a situation concerns EE than what many are accusing Narron of. If situations were reversed and it was anyone else on this team who had gotten benched during that game in Arizona for not running out a popout, the majority of this board would have had no problem with it. But for some reason, EE seems to be untouchable and can do no wrong when it comes to RedsZone.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 16-14
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I agree with the poster who noted that there were clear differences between the two circumstances. Now for those who continually say that the Reds are going to ship out EE because WK or JN dislike him, I just don't see that. Jerry Narron, every chance I see, speaks highly of Edwin. I think, short of something stellar bowling us over, that EE's here for a while. And Ryan Freel taking some balls at third (and spelling Eddie last night) is not going to replace him. Freel's value remains as the super-sub, something he's saying himself.

I think EE's benching had as much to do with the half-hearted bunt attempts the night before as it did the pop-up in question.

It was something Jerry saw as a trend, so he did what a two-testicled manager is supposed to do: nip it before it becomes a big problem.

I'm ok with it and would expect him to do something as drastic if Brandon watches one of his hits again during this homestand.

And speaking of watching from the batter's box, how is it a trained monkey like me can plainly see that the ball is NOT carrying yet this year, especially in this ballpark. Why in Sam Hell is anyone watching anything from the batters box? Nine out of every 10 well hit balls seem to be hanging up.

My two pennies.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Again, unprofessional. Deal with it or excuse it.....those are the only 2 choices. This "60 degrees of shading" that exsists is intolerable to me.
    Let's play two!!!

Turn Off Ads?