Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seabass?

Seabass?

I've never heard that term before, and though I read through the entire game thread last night, and enjoyed every bit of it, I never even noticed the reference. I wonder if I'm of the majority or the minority around here who don't even know what Seabass is referencing, or the story behind it.

So, why is it offensive? Or is it endearing? And, what does Alex Gonzalez think of it? The kicker for the Raiders loves it, (knowing him personally) I guess that's why I didn't even pay attention to it?

Last night's game thread was absolutely wonderful....full of good humor, a good balance of play-by-play, and analysis and excitement. I had to leave it when we were down by a run, and got home and finished reading the whole thing before seeing the final score. I really enjoyed it.

As one poster pointed out, it's like sitting in the stands with a bunch of friends watching the game. Sometimes a side conversation will break out for a moment, and that makes it enjoyable, and sometimes dull (I have the choice to read fast through that), but as last night was a great example, the flow of the game continued. Just like when you're in the stands, the game is what's in the background, and you're there to share the experience of speaking to others about both the game and other things.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Seabass?

All I know is he got it from his playing days in Florida. Was it Millar that gave it to him? But personally I like Bonzo Gonzo better.

It is a legitimate, albeit rarely used nickname for Alex. Type Alex Gonzalez Seabass into google and you'll see that the nickname pretty much just pops up in blogs, but not much if any in the media. I just ignore it however. I do feel that those who do use it are trying to jam it down everyone else's throat, along the lines of what Boss-Hog said in his post. I bet 1% of this site knew that his nickname was Seabass before he came to the Reds. Which led to some posters using that term in their thread knowing others will be like "who are you talking about", then the orignal "Seabass" poster will get a superiority complex and will be able to speak down to the person who questoned the name Seabass. Thats my take as an amateur psychologist. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

And...speaking of nicknames...how is it Hafner is "Donkey" and Dunn is "Big Donkey"....can you have 2 Donkey nicknames in the state of Ohio? Seems like we need a Donkey showdown. (Granted, Dunn is the BIG Donkey)

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I thought it was big dunkey!!!!

I always thought people used Seabass because they didn't know how to spell Gonzalez. Misspelling a player's name on your team is more embarrassing than using a rarely used and seldom known nickname.

I thought Hafner was Pronk?
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It is a legitimate, albeit rarely used nickname for Alex. Type Alex Gonzalez Seabass into google and you'll see that the nickname pretty much just pops up in blogs, but not much if any in the media. I just ignore it however. I do feel that those who do use it are trying to jam it down everyone else's throat, along the lines of what Boss-Hog said in his post. I bet 1% of this site knew that his nickname was Seabass before he came to the Reds. Which led to some posters using that term in their thread knowing others will be like "who are you talking about", then the orignal "Seabass" poster will get a superiority complex and will be able to speak down to the person who questoned the name Seabass. Thats my take as an amateur psychologist. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

And...speaking of nicknames...how is it Hafner is "Donkey" and Dunn is "Big Donkey"....can you have 2 Donkey nicknames in the state of Ohio? Seems like we need a Donkey showdown. (Granted, Dunn is the BIG Donkey)
    I've never heard Hafner referred to as "donkey". I have heard him referred to as "Pronk".
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I've never heard Hafner referred to as "donkey". I have heard him referred to as "Pronk".
    Pronk is a combination of project and donkey.

From what my Indians loving friend has told me Pronk is a mixture of Project and Donkey. Though "Project Donkey" sounds like a good nickname. Or maybe a Disney movie.

And it appears I'm a touch too slow. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I thought Hafner was Pronk?
    should be Shrek

The Seabass saga continues...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    The Seabass saga continues...
    As a nickname it fails miserably due to the fact that it is neither humorous nor is it in any way descriptive of Alex Gonzalez.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    should be Shrek
    That's a NYY fan nickname for another well known DH.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

He had himself a good night last night. Amazing how a little plate discipline works wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?