Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phillies send Myers to pen

Re: Phillies send Myers to pen

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I have a whole new appreciation for Narron and Krivsky. This is basically the equivalent of putting Harang in the bullpen. My mind just can't grasp the fact that someone who is paid to know a lot about baseball could make this move. If WayneK spins a cheap deal for Myers, he'll have me won over for life.
    I don't think so...the Reds don't have a Lieber to replace Harang. Hell, they don't have a Lieber in the rotation after the top 2. It's a move that doesn't make much sense for the career of Myers, but it could make them a better team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wasn't Myers the guy who beat his wife last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Yes. That's him. Not exactly a character guy. Still...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yes. That's him. Not exactly a character guy. Still...

OK. Then I can be forgiven for thinking that pen meant penitentiary. :
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Why is this such a bad move? Has anyone seen Myers' numbers this year? Has anyone seen the Phillies bullpen this year? Has anyone seen anyone from the Phillies play this year?

This was a GOOD move once you actually look at the stats and the situation surrounding the team. I'm not sure I'd want a guy who's given up 16 runs in his 3 starts thus far.

Because, DT, you don't send someone like Myers to the pen over a few bad starts. This isn't the NFL. It's a horrible way to do business...

If the Phillies are THAT brain dead and would loose him, that is EXACTLY the time to pick him up.

I don't understand why some people don't understand about sample sizes, and the general failure built into the game of baseball...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Because, DT, you don't send someone like Myers to the pen over a few bad starts. This isn't the NFL. It's a horrible way to do business...

If the Phillies are THAT brain dead and would loose him, that is EXACTLY the time to pick him up.

I don't understand why some people don't understand about sample sizes, and the general failure built into the game of baseball...

The Red Sox moved Papelbon to the bullpen because they realized their middle relief was very suspect and everyone is applauding that move.

Yet Charlie Manuel puts Myers in a setup role in a bullpen that is 5x worse than ours and he gets shelled for it. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    The Red Sox moved Papelbon to the bullpen because they realized their middle relief was very suspect and everyone is applauding that move.

Yet Charlie Manuel puts Myers in a setup role in a bullpen that is 5x worse than ours and he gets shelled for it. That doesn't make much sense to me.
    Papelbon was never one of Boston's top starters. He came to the big leagues and went almost immediately to a relief role. Myers had two very good seasons as a starter in 2005 and 2006. He has been the Phils best starter for two years running. This situation is nothing like Papelbon's in my mind.

There are better candidates to move to the bullpen than Myers. I'm pretty sure the main reason he was chosen was b/c before the season he said he'd be fine w/a move to the bullpen. So Manuel chose him as opposed to Eaton, who would most likely complain if he got moved. When they were throwing this idea around before the season started, I thought it was just a joke. Clearly not the case, though.

I've been a Phillies fan pretty much all my life, and at this point, nothing really surprises me. It's almost impossible to even get angry about it, mainly b/c it is all so incredibly ridiculous. Manuel was on Comcast last night discussing how he likes Myers at the "backend of the bullpen b/c of his talent", and likes the idea of having him pitch "in 65 or 75 games as opposed to 35." There's just so many things wrong w/both of those statements that it is tough to know where to begin.

Coupled w/the news of Ryan Howard having to get an MRI on his knee today, this has been a fabulous morning.

There are a couple differences that need to be pointed out. First and foremost Myers is arguably the Phillies best starter and Jonathan Papelbon would have been the Red Sox #4 or #5. At the same time the Sox are going to be getting Lester back shortly so it only made sense to move Papelbon to the bullpen from the start of the season rather than bumping him midway. Also I think it's worth mentioning that Papelbon is being used as the closer while Myers is being used as a setup man / middle reliever.

IMHO moving your number one starter to the bullpen is beyond dumb and everyone responsible for such a decision should no longer be employed.

I hope Waynes is on the phone now trying to swing a deal for Myers at this exact moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    I hope Waynes is on the phone now trying to swing a deal for Myers at this exact moment.
    The Reds should let the Phils have Weathers, Stanton and Cormier.

Wasn't it last year no one on Redszone would accept a trade that involved Myers?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Wasn't it last year no one on Redszone would accept a trade that involved Myers?

That was hot on the heels of when he beat his wife. And I don't think everyone didn't want him. But the vast majority didn't want anything to do with him.

Just keeps getting worse and worse for the Phils. Looks like Howard may miss some time with a sprained knee ligament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2842888
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    He hasn't slugged his wife yet this year or if he has it was not reported.

Turn Off Ads?