Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moeller DFA, Norris up from AAA

Re: Moeller DFA, Norris up from AAA

I'm guessing this isn't the last we'll see of Moeller. No one's going to want him so he'll go to LOU and be 90 miles from glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Another smart baseball move by the much maligned Red's front office. I never understood the 3 catcher thing this year either, but if it was to wait for Hopper and reaction to Deno's injury, then a few weeks of Moeller didn't hurt anything.

I don't see Hopper getting hardly any starting jobs. Has to be strictly a pinch runner, defensive replacement and RH bat in late innings. No rooms with Hamilton absorbing as many ABs as possible with Freel, Dunn and Griffey.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I don't think the Reds start this season with three catchers, had Deno or Hopper been healthy.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    Another smart baseball move by the much maligned Red's front office. I never understood the 3 catcher thing this year either, but if it was to wait for Hopper and reaction to Deno's injury, then a few weeks of Moeller didn't hurt anything.

I don't see Hopper getting hardly any starting jobs. Has to be strictly a pinch runner, defensive replacement and RH bat in late innings. No rooms with Hamilton absorbing as many ABs as possible with Freel, Dunn and Griffey.
    Of course it was the very same front office that signed Moeller to a major league contract in the first place. A move that many never quite understood.

I'm sorry, but I just can't consider getting rid of someone that had no business even being on the roster a 'smart' move; necessary and obvious - yes, but not smart.
    Last edited by puca; 04-19-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    C. Trent's blog:

Fay's blog:
    Thank God. Can we just forget about the 3 catcher rotation for good now?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Of course it was the very same front office that signed Moeller to a major league contract in the first place. A move that many never quite understood.

I'm sorry, but I just can't consider getting rid of someone that had no business even being on the roster a 'smart' move; necessary and obvious - yes, but not smart.
    That's a puzzler to me, too, puca.

Ross and Valentin were already going to be on the roster.

My guess is that WK has hedging his bets on them by signing Moeller to a ML contract, with the verbal understanding that he would be riding the AAA shuttle as need be.

And if that's the case, why sign Ross to a 2 year deal?

I think WK panics and signs vets to 2 year deals (as in the relief corp) and then when others come through, he is somewhat surprised, and happy (and it makes us all happy when a young player comes through and produces).

On one hand it does give your team depth, and players to choose from. I am of the opinion that the pitching here is deeper than it's been in some time.

On the other hand, I think it's an expensive way to do business for a small market team, locking up $ that could be better spent elsewhere...
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm guessing this isn't the last we'll see of Moeller. No one's going to want him so he'll go to LOU and be 90 miles from glory.
    You're cruel.

That's a puzzler to me, too, puca.

Ross and Valentin were already going to be on the roster.
    With Moeller around, he could have traded Ross or Valentin and I think having that option open may have been worth Moeller's contracts. Indeed there were several folks here who where screaming that Ross should be dealt while at a height point in value and in retrospect...that looks like it might have been a decent idea.

One of the big differences I see between the way Krivsky does things and the way Bowden and (to a lesser degree) O'Brien did things is the depth of talent on the 40 man roster. Both Bowden and DanO had a habit of putting several kids on the 40 man roster who then ran into option problems later on. Krivsky is much more inclined to keep 4 or 5 33 year olds around in those same slots.

Moeller would be a fool not to go to Louisville. If David Ross has another 50 at bats as bad as his start has been, they'll have to sit him. Chad isn't going to get a better offer from anybody else.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    With Moeller around, he could have traded Ross or Valentin and I think having that option open may have been worth Moeller's contracts. Indeed there were several folks here who where screaming that Ross should be dealt while at a height point in value and in retrospect...that looks like it might have been a decent idea.

One of the big differences I see between the way Krivsky does things and the way Bowden and (to a lesser degree) O'Brien did things is the depth of talent on the 40 man roster. Both Bowden and DanO had a habit of putting several kids on the 40 man roster who then ran into option problems later on. Krivsky is much more inclined to keep 4 or 5 33 year olds around in those same slots.

Moeller would be a fool not to go to Louisville. If David Ross has another 50 at bats as bad as his start has been, they'll have to sit him. Chad isn't going to get a better offer from anybody else.
    I think you're on to something there. I felt all along that Moeller was around for some manuvering. I think WK does that alot (e.g. Cody Ross). Sometimes roster squeezes don't allow that to pan out and that's why we're seeing Moeller go now. I think, particularly with Moeller, that they like what he brings to a staff and working with pitchers, not so much his batting skills. Whatever trade movement might have been considered, it appears it has panned out, hence the current move.

I think that will always be a highwire that WK will walk. We best get used to it. Sometimes, I'm guessing, it will be thrilling. Other times, working without a net, it won't be pretty.

I don't think the Moeller signing was very smart...to me we could have gone after a Corky Miller type if Kriv felt he had to have another catching options.

But it was a smart move to get Hopper on the roster and move Moeller off. Moeller's move wasn't that great to begin with but we are a better team today than we were a few days ago w.o Hopper.

I just think so many on here go on and on over every single move Narron or Krivs make and in the end, they don't decide the fate of the season or even games. Moeller didn't really hurt anything for 2 weeks and he only cost $500k. We ended up getting it right after Hopper was healthy and we didn't know Deno would have his injury. The same knashing of teeth occured over Bubba Crosby, Bellhorn, Paul Wilson, etc. and it isn't a big deal.

In the end, it will be Griffey, Dunn, EE, Harang, Arroyo, 3rd starter, Weathers, etc.. that decide the games and season...not Moeller, Hopper, Castro, etc... But we hear 10 times more about the latter guys failures than the formers on that list for some reason.

[QUOTE=UK Reds Fan;1309294]Another smart baseball move by the much maligned Red's front office. I never understood the 3 catcher thing this year either, but if it was to wait for Hopper and reaction to Deno's injury, then a few weeks of Moeller didn't hurt anything.

Agreed, and that's exactly what I think happened. The injuries to Denorfia and Hopper, predicated Moeller being on the team at the beginning of the season, IMO.

At least, Chad got a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You may be right, but the White Sox could use a back-up catcher with Hall hurt. Moeller is better than what they have now (seriously).

Not saying the Reds could trade him for anything, but Chicago may be willing to take him off the Reds hands (i.e. payroll). This would probably be as a waiver claim and the Reds probably would want to keep Moeller at AAA (see below).

I'm ok with him at AAA as the emegency back-up. The Reds really have no internal options if Ross or Javy get hurt. As bad as Ross is so far, he is clearly the best option.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

According to Trent's blog, it's official. Moeller has cleared waivers and has accepted his assignment to Louisville.

Chad Moeller cleared waivers and accepted an assignment to Louisville, where he can be the Crash Davis to all the Luke LaLooshes in Class AAA.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Moeller cleared waivers? How on earth did that happen?

Well I am glad to see that Moeller cleared waivers and will be in AAA. hopefully he will be able to work with some of the young pitchers. Plus he adds depth to the Reds in case of injury or if a trade is made.

Turn Off Ads?