Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting a dog to sleep.

Re: Putting a dog to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Yeah, and those onions. Almost unbearable.
    Who's been playing with the pepper spray?

Seriously, I don't think I can read much more of these. My allergies are really starting to kick up.

When I was in high school, my friends and I rescued a black lab mix puppy from a neighbor kid who had found her and some other puppies and caught her before the others ran away. He thought it was funny to give her beer and vodka, so that when we saw him playing with her, she was too drunk to walk. When he told us to watch the dog while he went to the bathroom, a friend stuffed the dog in her shirt and started to walk away. When he came out, two of us stayed behind and told him the owner came and claimed the puppy. Then we went to meet up with our other friends. Since my family didn't have a dog, I was elected to keep it overnight until we could find it a home. When my mom came home, she just couldn't resist and let me keep her. She became our family dog and was one of the most lovable and well behaved dogs ever. Fast forward 15 years. The week before my wedding I got a call from my parents. Brandy had had a stroke. My dad and my sister had taken her to the vet and had her put down. Since I was in Chicago, I was too far away to be there, and so they didn't tell me until after it was done. I still wish I could have been there to say goodbye.

Darn it. There go the allergies again.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

A very tough thing to do. You have my sympathies, all of you.

I will repeat some advice I've given many times before: after you lose a pet, get a new pet soon.

After one of my cats died, my wife, my other cat, and I were utterly miserable for a couple of weeks. Finally, we decided to get a new kitten. Best decision I ever made. Instead of sinking deeper into depression, we were all enthralled by the new kitten (I named him Griffey). He actually brought back fond memories of the old cat -- we noticed all the similarities and differences in their behavior. We were much happier, and I'm sure my old cat would have wanted it that way.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

We had to put a dog to sleep last falll. Worst thing I've ever had to do. Watching the life slip out of something is a profound experience that words are utterly unable to describe.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Wow, thanks for all of the responses.

I'm feeling a little better today, but I didn't get much sleep at all last night. And yeah, i got something in my eye too!

At the end of the day, it's never easy, and you're never alone in feeling that way. What is physically gut-wrenching, nauseating, and mentally grueling for you is just as bad for someone else and it never gets easier.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

As someone who almost lost his cat to poisoning, you have my sympathy.

When the vet told me we might have to put Tyson down, I had to drive him to the hospital right then and there. On the way, I bought him a hamburger from Wendy's and was relieved to know that despite being so sick, that hamburger didn't stand a chance. I fed it to him through the holes in his carrier while saying, "Let's keep this between us guys..."

There wasn't any way in the world my little guy was going away without having his favorite meal first.

After he finished, he was sticking his paw through the cage and swatting my arm to get more. It was cute.

Life is full of ugly decisions. I was sitting there at the vet's office sort of hating being a grown up. I had to make a life or death decision, I had to pay the bill, and I had to live with whatever became of a situation I had no control over.

Part of the rules of life is that it can end for any living thing at any time. We don't make the rules, so the only thing we can do is play by them as best we can. If you have to put an animal down, that's playing with the rules as best you can. Tough to see it that way, but it's the truth.

I love the advice of getting a new pet.

The thing is that our pets dogs and cats are so trusting of us and yet we are having to make a decision that will end their life.

The sinking feeling that still comes around
    Did we do the right thing?
    Was the timing right?

This thread made me miss my dogs (4 of them) so much that I drove home for lunch to let them out and run around the yard for a half hour.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    As someone who almost lost his cat to poisoning, you have my sympathy.

When the vet told me we might have to put Tyson down, I had to drive him to the hospital right then and there. On the way, I bought him a hamburger from Wendy's and was relieved to know that despite being so sick, that hamburger didn't stand a chance. I fed it to him through the holes in his carrier while saying, "Let's keep this between us guys..."

There wasn't any way in the world my little guy was going away without having his favorite meal first.

After he finished, he was sticking his paw through the cage and swatting my arm to get more. It was cute.

Life is full of ugly decisions. I was sitting there at the vet's office sort of hating being a grown up. I had to make a life or death decision, I had to pay the bill, and I had to live with whatever became of a situation I had no control over.

Part of the rules of life is that it can end for any living thing at any time. We don't make the rules, so the only thing we can do is play by them as best we can. If you have to put an animal down, that's playing with the rules as best you can. Tough to see it that way, but it's the truth.

I love the advice of getting a new pet.
    You feed your cats mcdonalds?

I'm sure my cat Cleveland would love that. Pearl OTOH, maybe not so much.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

A couple years ago, my mother gave me the dreaded phone call. My childhood dog, Shadow, a miniature long-haired Dachshund, was not going to make it much longer. I left work and met her at the vet's office. Since it was my dog growing up, I felt like it was the right thing for me to be the one to hold him as the doctor gave him the injection. He was looking at me and all I could tell him was "Thank you". "Thank you, little buddy, for being there for me all those years". I was surprised how quick he went. I could feel him let out his last breath and at that moment I was hit with such extreme guilt. Guilt that I had grown up, gotten married, and had my own family and left him there with my mom as he grew older. I only really saw him once every few months his last few years. Being there with him for his last breath, was very surreal, but also very beautiful in a way and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

You feed your cats mcdonalds?
    When I go to McDonald's, I get two hamburgers and a six piece chicken McNuggets and I share it with Tyson everytime.

His great grandfather is an African Serval, so these cats love meat. And when he eats it, he attacks my hand, the other cats, and lets out a growl that continues until he's done. It was sort of funny in the car that day because Tyson was growling in his carrier while chomping away. I was like, dude, nobody is going to get your food. Relax.

If I have to warm up meat in the microwave to feed to him and it's too hot to eat, he'll swat at it, as if that is going to cool it down. Bambambambam with his paw until it's ready to eat. I think he is trying to kill it or something.

But yeah, he loves fast food. And lunch meat.

I tell my girlfriend that we should hand out awards every year to our cats, and Tyson will get the "Most Entertaining" or "Most Likely to Kill Something That's Already Dead" awards.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Being there with him for his last breath, was very surreal, but also very beautiful in a way and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
    Surreal is the only word I could think of to describe the situation. I've had losses in my family, but I've never actually seen the life leave them. Holding the dog in your arms as it happens, it just can't be explained in words, I don't think. I was happy to see that the suffering had ended, but I couldn't help but cry uncontrollably.

I am sorry that you have had to experience this moment.

Their faith, trust, and belief in us along with their unconditional love makes the decision to put down a genuine friend and companion very difficult beyond the common expressions and words that we routinely reflect. The thread brought tears to my eyes, and yes a recall of the dreadful experience myself.

I understand that making the decision is hard, but at least you get the chance to share a few last days/hours with your pet. It's worse to simply come home and find that they passed away while you were out. That leaves you full of regret.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Turn Off Ads?