Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting a dog to sleep.

Re: Putting a dog to sleep.

Remdog's kidneys failed when he was about 12. I didn't know it at the time so when he got sick I took him to the vet. They kept him overnight and did tests and called me the next day with the bad news.

I went to the vet's knowing what was going to happen. When they brought him into the room Rem was so weak that he couldn't lift his head but his tail started weakly wagging the moment he saw me. As soon as I put my arms around him he seemed to relax. I spent 30 minutes holding him and talking to him before it was time. I held him while the vet took care of matters and he seemed to be OK with it....maybe I'm just imagining that but that's the way it felt.

I managed to make it out of the vet's office without making too big a fool of myself....then spent 15 minuets in the car bawling uncontrolably.

That was 14 years ago and I'm crying as I write this. I know some folks may find that pathetic but I don't care.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

My thoughts are with you and yours, HHF. We had to put our dog down last year so I know how hard it is. I still think about him every day. Know that you did what was best and remember that you had 17 good years together. Take care.
    Last edited by BuckWoody; 04-18-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    That was 14 years ago and I'm crying as I write this. I know some folks may find that pathetic but I don't care.
    Anyone who has ever owned a dog would not find that pathetic.

Very sad news Freel. My condolensces.

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Remdog's kidneys failed when he was about 12. I didn't know it at the time so when he got sick I took him to the vet. They kept him overnight and did tests and called me the next day with the bad news.

I went to the vet's knowing what was going to happen. When they brought him into the room Rem was so weak that he couldn't lift his head but his tail started weakly wagging the moment he saw me. As soon as I put my arms around him he seemed to relax. I spent 30 minutes holding him and talking to him before it was time. I held him while the vet took care of matters and he seemed to be OK with it....maybe I'm just imagining that but that's the way it felt.

I managed to make it out of the vet's office without making too big a fool of myself....then spent 15 minuets in the car bawling uncontrolably.

Rem
    Wow that story is rough...

We've got a 4 year old Pug, we don't have any children yet, but I imagine our love for our first dog would be pretty close to our love for our first child.

I couldn't even begin to imagine what it will be like when our dog passes on.

MrsK

That was 14 years ago and I'm crying as I write this. I know some folks may find that pathetic but I don't care. Rem
    You and your actions - your feelings - are NOT pathetic. Anyone who has a pet definitely understands and we've all probably acted in a similar way.

I have 2 cats now but I still am very sad at losing my other cats over the years.

I love dogs too - just never owned one. My brother has a dog, and several of my friends, family and neighbors have dogs. They are all very precious and sweet creatures.

I guess I love all animals - call me strange - but I get very emotional when I hear or see bad things that happen to animals.

So, to you HHF (and to Rem and others who have lost a pet) I just wanted to say, my thoughts are with you and your family on your loss. I hope you can take comfort in the good years you had with your Dog.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsK View Post
    You and your actions - your feelings - are NOT pathetic. Anyone who has a pet definitely understands and we've all probably acted in a similar way.

I have 2 cats now but I still am very sad at losing my other cats over the years.

I love dogs too - just never owned one. My brother has a dog, and several of my friends, family and neighbors have dogs. They are all very precious and sweet creatures.

I guess I love all animals - call me strange - but I get very emotional when I hear or see bad things that happen to animals.

So, to you HHF (and to Rem and others who have lost a pet) I just wanted to say, my thoughts are with you and your family on your loss. I hope you can take comfort in the good years you had with your Dog.

Take care.
    Thanks, Mrs. K. I, and hopefully others, truly enjoy the memories of the time we had with our animal 'family'. The fact that I chose my 'screen name' to reflect that admiration and careing for Rem is a reflection of that.

Rem was definately a very good part of my life.

Rem

Thanks, Mrs. K. I, and hopefully others, truly enjoy the memories of the time we had with our animal 'family'. The fact that I chose my 'screen name' to reflect that admiration and careing for Rem is a reflection of that.

Rem
    And here I was thinking all this time your name combined with you living out in California meant you must be a homey of Snoop Dogg!

Sorry to hear that HHF. We had to do that same thing last Tuesday. Ours was 17 too. It sucks.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Rem
    I had to put the dog from whom my screen name comes to sleep a little over a year ago. I was in my fourth year of vet school at the time. He had battled congestive heart failure for nearly a year (far above average). His last set of X-rays showed that it was time for the battle to end. All the medical training in the world is no help when it is YOUR dog. I was able to stay on task while I helped another doctor put him to sleep and prepare his body to take home for burial. Like you, once I got in my truck, I lost control for a long, long time.

I miss him.

Rem
    I had pretty much the same story. When I first met my wife in college, she had just bought a dog 2 weeks before. He was a little ball of fur. She lived in off campus housing and would just open the door and let him out. He'd run around the neighborhood for a half hour or so and then come back. A couple of times during the winter, he decided he liked playing in the snow and I had to go chase him down. I'd get so mad. I knew him so well eventually that I knew where he'd be. I'd go there, find him, and then walk up to him. He thought I was playing, so he'd run from me. Really, a lot of fun when you've got a class in 15 minutes. Looking back, though, it was a bonding time for him and I. I continued this all through college, hunting the dog down throughout the neighborhood. After my wife and I were married he moved back to Dayton with us. We got an apartment and my wife continued to do the same thing, let the dog out the front door, tell him to run, and he'd do his business and run around. He loved people. Would approach anyone and wag his too-shortly-cut stub on his butt. He was a miniature schnauzer but weighed in at around 31 lbs. Not exactly miniature. Anyway, life continued to move, we had our oldest son, and the dog loved him. Would follow him around, keep an eye on him, etc. Eventually we moved into a house with a fenced in yard. He was confused at first, but got used to it. Our second child was born. Same thing. The dog absolutely loved him and would protect him to no end. Last July, I came home from work and he didn't rush to the door to greet me (which NEVER happened). I found him in a corner of a room, panting, like he couldn't catch his breath, or was overheated. I took him to the vet that night. The vet told me he had pancreatitis. Schnauzers were suseptable to pancreatitis because they have such high fat content in their blood. The condition, I was told, was too bad to be reversed. He was suffering. I talked to my wife and we decided to have him put down. We both went to the vets office the next day. Both of us with huge tears in our eyes. My wife held him for about a 1/2 hour and then I held him after she said goodbye and left the room. He glanced at me with those big black Chewbacca looking eyes. He was sad. I think he knew he wouldn't see us again. The first tear dropped from my eyes. He put his head down and gave a large exhale. Another tear fell. I held him as the doctor put him down. One last time he glanced at me and I swear he looked right through me and to my heart to tell me everything would be ok. It was gut-wrenching. I walked out of the room and cried for a good hour and a half. Uncontrollably. We buried him in our backyard later that day and that was hard, too.

A month later we did the dumbest thing we've ever done. We went to a breeder to "replace" our long lost buddy. We ended up buying two puppies, both schnauzers. They're still pups and still learning the ropes, but neither of them compares to that dog, and quite frankly, I don't think it's fair that I try to compare them to that dog, but I do. No dog can replace the dog we lost. Part of my heart is buried in our backyard.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The Last Battle
    If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Sorry to hear that HHF. We had to do that same thing last Tuesday. Ours was 17 too. It sucks.
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss too, creek.

We just got a new puppy about three weeks ago. He's dumb and clumsy and silly and excitable but completely adorable and lovable. He's learning fast, though, and I know we'll grow to love him as much as we did our Benny. He'll never replace him but I think he'll have a place in our hearts right along side him.

Wow, it's really dusty in this room...

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    Wow, it's really dusty in this room...

Yeah, and those onions. Almost unbearable.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

jnickols

So sorry for your loss, they are truly our best friends. Over the years we have had to do this and it is a very sad time for the family, they were a part of our family. My heart goes out to you.

Two years ago we had to put down a 2 year old horse who went into colic. We tried to keep him on his feet for 45 min. until the vet arrived. His intestines were twisted, we had to decide a $10,000 surgery 2 hours away with no guarantee or put him to sleep. I'll never forget his big beautiful eyes looking at us. We now have his half brother a beautiful 2 year old gelding named Rookie. Time does heal, but the love never dies.

Turn Off Ads?