Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why keep bringing Coffey in?

Why keep bringing Coffey in?

Why does Narron keep bringing in Coffey in close games.Coffey has proven over the last couple years that he faulters in close game situations.Narron is completely clueless.If there is a worse manager in all of baseball I would like for someone to point him out to me.You cant because Dusty Baker and Don Baylor arent out there any more.So that just leaves Narron,one word terrible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why keep bringing Coffey in?

Todd Coffey pitched pretty well in some close games last year.

deja vu on the board. this thread will be interesting in the morning

I believe we'll see less and less of Coffey after this outing. With Sarloos, Santos, Stanton and Cout pitching very good and Weathers in the closer spot...I just don't think we'll see Coffey unless it is games out of hand either way.

Does Coffey have options to AAA if/when Maj or Bray get healthy? That may be a better option to help Coffey get it together.

Narron suffers from day late dollar short, wrong place at the wrong time syndrome.

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but Thom was going absolutely crazy in the booth that Narron left Coffey in - stating that Berkman hit weaker right handed (.268/.383/.412/.795 since '87 vs. lefties, and .313/.425/.609/1.035 vs. righties); that Lee was doing miserable against lefties this year - not to mention leftie Luke Scott following.
    Sure, hindsight is 20/20 - but he was right. Cormier has traditionally done better against righties. And, it was obvious from the start that Coffey simply did not have it last night.
    Was this a case of Coffey not having it, or of Narron once again being outmanaged by the opposition as well as himself?

Coffey is the best that the Reds have right now....maybe that's why?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

In addition, this was supposedly a low stress situation starting off an inning. It would have been a good chance to get the Bill Hall GS monkey off his back. You can't get better or over it sitting on your hands.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I am sure this has been mentioned before, but Thom was going absolutely crazy in the booth that Narron left Coffey in - stating that Berkman hit weaker right handed (.268/.383/.412/.795 since '87 vs. lefties, and .313/.425/.609/1.035 vs. righties); that Lee was doing miserable against lefties this year - not to mention leftie Luke Scott following.
    Sure, hindsight is 20/20 - but he was right. Cormier has traditionally done better against righties. And, it was obvious from the start that Coffey simply did not have it last night.
    Was this a case of Coffey not having it, or of Narron once again being outmanaged by the opposition as well as himself?
    I watched the game on FSN so i missed Thom's epsiode. I did wonder why Stanton wasn't pitching that inning rather than Coffey/Canadian Tee though...

EDIT: DUH....Stanton had went 2 innings the night before.....
    Last edited by jojo; 04-19-2007 at 09:42 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post

It wasn't hindsight at the time. Anyone who has access to those stats, and already has Frenchie warmed up in the pen makes the move. Anyone who is logical that is. Of course, Narron's a baseball guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Coffey is the best that the Reds have right now....maybe that's why?
    Are you serious?? Right now Santos has been pitching pretty darn effective and I think should assume the set up roll. In Coffey's last 2 innings he has hit 3 batters. You CANT do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Are you serious?? Right now Santos has been pitching pretty darn effective and I think should assume the set up roll. In Coffey's last 2 innings he has hit 3 batters. You CANT do that.
    Santos is a mirage.... I'm talking about actual repeatable skillsets....

chrisj

Hi all. I ranted and raved on about Todd Coffey on another site most of last season. It's just ashame that a starter leaves with a lead and has to sit on the bench biting his fingernails, wondering whether or not he's gonna get a win.

Coffey has hit 4 batters and there's still more than a week left in April. It makes me wonder if he needs to go to Louisville to work on some control issues.

I agree with UK Reds Fan. We have some guys in the bullpen who (so far) appear to be more ready to pitch than Coffey at this time.

chrisj

I have said before that the Reds might as well bring up a few minor leaguers to test them out as relievers, and send screwups like Coffey back down for awhile. I cannot for the life of me understand why Narron keeps putting that guy in. Setting up? Yeah, he's setting things up for the other team to win.

Turn Off Ads?