Turn Off Ads?

Thread: "King" Felix Hernandez leaves game w/elbow injury

"King" Felix Hernandez leaves game w/elbow injury

Wow. You hate to see this. Hopefully it's nothing major, but it doesn't sound good. The Mariners coddled this kid, too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270418112&prov=ap

SEATTLE (AP) -- Felix Hernandez left with tightness in his pitching elbow in the first inning, a much bigger concern for the Seattle Mariners than their dramatic loss to the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday night.

The Twins held on for a 5-4 victory when Luis Castillo threw out Adrian Beltre at the plate to end the game.

Hernandez recorded just one out and was charged with three runs. The Mariners said the 21-year-old phenom left "for precautionary reasons" and would be re-evaluated Thursday.

Hernandez left the stadium before the end of the game, leaving his teammates to express their concern about the young right-hander.

"I was worried," catcher Kenji Johjima said though an interpreter. "I care a lot for him."

Mariners manager Mike Hargrove said his "gut feeling" was his franchise pitcher was going to be OK, but added, "I have nothing to base it on."
    After Hernandez threw a 2-1 pitch to Justin Morneau in the first, he grimaced, turned away from home plate and immediately signaled for umpire Ed Rapuano to halt the game. The right-hander then motioned for trainer Rick Griffin and manager Mike Hargrove to come out of the Mariners dugout. After Hernandez briefly squatted behind the pitching rubber, Hargrove summoned long reliever Jake Woods out of the dugout to replace Hernandez.

Hernandez (2-1) allowed singles to Minnesota's first two batters, Castillo and Jason Tyner. It took into the eighth inning for Boston to get its only hit off Hernandez in his previous start. On opening day, Hernandez allowed just three hits and struck out 12 in eight scoreless innings of a win over Oakland.

Joe Mauer walked and Castillo scored on a wild pitch. Michael Cuddyer drove in a run with a groundout before Morneau came to the plate and Hernandez was lifted. Woods then allowed an RBI single to Mike Redmond.

"That was definitely a rough situation," Woods said. "Especially with Felix, who you expect will go six, seven, eight innings."

Hernandez's velocity was near normal, reaching 96 mph on the scoreboard radar gun, but only 12 of his 24 pitches were strikes on a chilly night. His wild pitch that scored Castillo, the first run off him in 17 1-3 innings this season, bounced in the opposite batters' box.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: "King" Felix Hernandez leaves game w/elbow injury

There was talk on Cold Pizza this morning that he grabbed his elbow after getting knocked around in the 1st. They speculated nothing was wrong with him, he was just trying to give himself an excuse for the beat down.

I hope this is the case. I hope he's fine structurally.

On the other hand, I don't want him faking an injury just b/c he was getting knocked around.

Seriously doubt he faked an injury. Was that Skip who said that? I didn't see it, so I'm just speculating considering he is an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    There was talk on Cold Pizza this morning that he grabbed his elbow after getting knocked around in the 1st. They speculated nothing was wrong with him, he was just trying to give himself an excuse for the beat down.

I hope this is the case. I hope he's fine structurally.

On the other hand, I don't want him faking an injury just b/c he was getting knocked around.

This guy seems pretty immature. If you watched the Red Sox game, you could tell he was subtley taunting the Red Sox after every strikeout and such. . . at least that's what I thought. So yeah, he seems like the perfect type to give an excuse when things aren't going well.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    This guy seems pretty immature. If you watched the Red Sox game, you could tell he was subtley taunting the Red Sox after every strikeout and such. . . at least that's what I thought. So yeah, he seems like the perfect type to give an excuse when things aren't going well.
    He also glared at Sexson during that same game when he and Sexson both went to cover 1B on a throwback to complete a DP, Sexson got there first, took his eye off the ball while trying to find the bag and dropped the ball. After the play, Hernandez just glared at Sexson, and then tapped his glove on his chest as if to say "my bad, I got in the way".

The kid is only 21, IIRC. He still has a lot of maturing to do as a player. Loads of talent, can't deny that.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    They speculated nothing was wrong with him, he was just trying to give himself an excuse for the beat down.
    What a bunch of utter, complete nonsense. This is why cable tv should be banned.... I don't mind the nudity....it's the rotting your brain with an oversaturation of drivel that worries me.

EDIT: I retract some of that statement....cable tv is fine....it's sports commentary on cable tv specifically that rots your brain (it's the real reason terrorists hate us BTW)....
    Last edited by jojo; 04-19-2007 at 03:34 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Official word....flexor strain.....shut him down 5 days and poke around again...

Those pizza pimping yo yo's sure called that one...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?