Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Goodbye to a friend

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Goodbye to a friend

I have a heavy heart right now. Last night a friend of several years lost a lengthy battle with diabetes and went to her reward. Sherri Chapin was the pastor of a church I attended when I was single and living in Kentucky. She pastored the Wesley United Methodist Church where I attended before moving on to another church. This was a small church and we were all a close knit family. Sherri as more than just a pastor to us. She was a confidant, a spiritual mentor, an uncompromising preacher, and a completely selfless person who would do anything for anybody, whether you attended our church or not.

As her health declined and it became evident that she was not going to live through the year, she also became an example to all of her friends of how to handle adversity with grace. She became more of an inspiration during these last few weeks than she ever was from the pulpit. She faced death with her head high and a smile on her face, secure in the knowledge of where she was going. Through the way she faced death, she taught a lot of us how to face life, how to take life one day at a time and get the most out of it.

So I am sad as I say goodbye to a good friend, but I am happy for her that her suffering is over and she is now enjoying a well deserved rest from her labor. Goodbye Sherri. We will all miss you, but we will see you again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Goodbye to a friend

Sorry for your loss ORH, she sounds like she was a solid individual.

GL

My condolences and prayers ORH
    Go Gators!

Very sorry to hear that, ORH.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I am sorry for your loss, a powerful witness to humanity and inspiration as you describe her.

I am sorry for your loss, excited for her gain!

Thanks for sharing with us how she shared Jesus in more than words...simply, awesome!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Very sorry for your loss, ORH.

Sounds like it was all of our loss.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?