Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds hustling out of the box

Reds hustling out of the box

It's mighty nice to see the Reds players hustling out of the box following the Griffey, Encarnarcion, and Phillips episodes. I hope the tone has been set for the entire season. Maybe other teams will notice and follow their lead.

I mentioned the same view on another thread. Forgive me for being repetitive.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds hustling out of the box

hustle out of the box is overrated. I just want guys to hit the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pete Rose says hi.

Preferrably so hard and far that hustle is optional....

"This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It may not matter in the grand scheme of things. It just looks better if you do hustle out of the box and shouldn't require that much more effort.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As I pointed out in another similar thread:

As for the debate about whether some guys have earned the right to dog it sometimes, or if dogging it doesn't affect the outcome of the play then its OK; I've got one thing to say.

THERE IS ONLY ONE THING A POSITION PLAYER IN BASEBALL HAS COMPLETE CONTROL OVER: HOW HARD HE PLAYS. IF YOU CAN'T RUN HARD FOR 90 FEET A FEW TIMES A NIGHT, AND IF YOU CAN'T DO YOUR BEST TO MAKE EVERY PLAY IN THE FIELD, GO HOME.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    THERE IS ONLY ONE THING A POSITION PLAYER IN BASEBALL HAS COMPLETE CONTROL OVER: HOW HARD HE PLAYS. IF YOU CAN'T RUN HARD FOR 90 FEET A FEW TIMES A NIGHT, AND IF YOU CAN'T DO YOUR BEST TO MAKE EVERY PLAY IN THE FIELD, GO HOME.
    Let me ask you a question.. Do you think that if you played 160ish games from April 1st to the end of September / early October that you would run every foul ball, lazy pop fly, and every little dribbler back to the pitcher out 100 percent?

Hustle is completely overrated. The only reason people are complaining about hustle is because our team has stunk for the better part of 6 years!

Quote Originally Posted by T7-niner View Post
    Let me ask you a question.. Do you think that if you played 160ish games from April 1st to the end of September / early October that you would run every foul ball, lazy pop fly, and every little dribbler back to the pitcher out 100 percent?

Hustle is completely overrated. The only reason people are complaining about hustle is because our team has stunk for the better part of 6 years!
    well that and for the most part that most of this city saw Pete Rose play and think that every play should play just like that.... when in actuality he was given the name Charlie Hustle because he 'hustled' more than almost anyone before him, so my question is if he hustled so much to get a nickname like that, then why on Earth do a lot of people think everyone can hustle the same way? This city is nuts sometimes.

Personally I'm just glad to see that Narron is sitting Arroyo tonight after watching Bronson's poor effort running down the line during his last at bat (he barely made it a third of the way before turning into the dugout!!!!!!)...

"This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

One of the reasons they have stunk is that the Reds are one of the most undisciplined teams at the plate I have ever seen. Another reason is that many of the players who have played with the Reds in recent seasons will never be accused of going the extra mile to get better. The main reason is that stupid mistakes kill the Reds time and time again. Hustle is not about running hard to first, it's about going the extra mile and going all out to do your best at all times. The Reds don't do that nearly often enough.

Yes I would. There is no reason not to run as hard as you can every time. What's the downside? Only good things can happen, and even if nothing good comes of it then nothing has been lost.

160ish baseball games over six months is not so hard a job that one can't give maximum effort throughout.

I think HUSTLE does matter...it's an attitude, a mindset and it carries over into the field too. I also think it ultimately helps the morale of the team when guys are hustling.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

This city is nuts sometimes.
    Sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Red White View Post
    Yes I would. There is no reason not to run as hard as you can every time. What's the downside? Only good things can happen, and even if nothing good comes of it then nothing has been lost.

160ish baseball games over six months is not so hard a job that one can't give maximum effort throughout.

Right...Who cares if we can't hit because we sure do try hard

Talent trumps hustle.....95% of the time. Just ask Josh Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Red White View Post

In the dog days of August I would rather see a player use his energy wisely for when he needs it most. Try being a catcher on a August Sunday afternoon when the temperature in 90 plus degrees on the field and some fat slob sitting in the stands is screaming at you for not hustling to first base on a walk. Use hustle wisely and not foolishly to where it will hurt your team in the long run.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?