Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ARod on pace for...

ARod on pace for...

159 strikeouts. Boy he sucks....

Oh yeah, he's also on pace for 106 HR and 274 RBI, but who cares, dude needs to start putting the ball in play a bit more.

:deadhorse
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ARod on pace for...

I hope he hits 80 HR and strikes out 250 times this year, just to make a point.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I hope he hits 80 HR and strikes out 250 times this year, just to make a point.
    ...The point being, of course, that he's a rally killer either way, the bum.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Dunn on pace for 200 K.

Lazy.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Pinch Hits

Ross on pace to hit under a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch Hits View Post
    Ross on pace to hit under a buck.
    Larue's on pace to be replaced by a Buck.

I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    159 strikeouts. Boy he sucks....

Oh yeah, he's also on pace for 106 HR and 274 RBI, but who cares, dude needs to start putting the ball in play a bit more.

:deadhorse
    Let me see if I have this straight. If someone else makes a point that you don't agree using a limited number of at-bats you scream 'sample size'. But if you want to make a point you can use a limited number of at-bats and extrapolate out. Cool. Since you have taken sample size off the table how about these numbers.

In Adam Dunn's first 9 games he struck out 8 times in 39 PA. That is roughly 21% of the time. His OPS in these games was 1.171.
    In Adam Dunn's last 6 games he struck out 12 times in 27 PA. This is roughly
    44% of the time. His OPS in these games was .604.

Maybe making more contact isn't such a bad thing after all.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Let me see if I have this straight. If someone else makes a point that you don't agree using a limited number of at-bats you scream 'sample size'. But if you want to make a point you can use a limited number of at-bats and extrapolate out. Cool. Since you have taken sample size off the table how about these numbers.

In Adam Dunn's first 9 games he struck out 8 times in 39 PA. That is roughly 21% of the time. His OPS in these games was 1.171.
    In Adam Dunn's last 6 games he struck out 12 times in 27 PA. This is roughly
    44% of the time. His OPS in these games was .604.

Maybe making more contact isn't such a bad thing after all.
    I think he used the small sample size to make his point...

A brilliantly clever combination of literary device and smilie that would've no doubt made Shakespear wish he'd been a blooger...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I was actually making 2 points. Let me do so explicitly so there's no confusion:

1.) Hitters can still strike out a lot while being incredibly productive
    2.) Small sample sizes early in the season make projections ridiculous.

Regarding Dunn, I don't think anybody on this board would complain if he struck out less and continued to do everything else at the same rate. We just don't want to see him trade 30 strikeouts and 30 walks for 5 weak hits and 55 outs on balls in play. Strikeouts come from a plate approach in which the player is focusing on getting a pitch he can drive with authority. It usually involves seeing more pitches and getting deeper in to counts. Dunn takes the approach to the extreme, perhaps, and couple with only mediocre contact ability, strikes out a fair bit. But the strikeouts are part of an entire approach and changes to that approach will likely affect more than strikeout totals. To date, his altered approach, being a bit more aggressive on the first pitch he can handle, has had good effect.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-20-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Strikeouts come from a plate approach in which the player is focusing on getting a pitch he can drive with authority.
    David Ross will be happy to hear that. Sometimes strikeouts come from not being able to hit the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    David Ross will be happy to hear that. Sometimes strikeouts come from not being able to hit the ball.
    Wow. And homers come from hitting the ball. Therefore, since Juan Pierre rarely strikes out, he should hit lots of homers. Let's all be snarky and use overly simplistic critiques!

Wow. And homers come from hitting the ball. Therefore, since Juan Pierre rarely strikes out, he should hit lots of homers. Let's all be snarky and use overly simplistic critiques!
    I was actually pointing out your over generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I was actually pointing out your over generalization.
    Feel free to read the quite lengthy posts that at least a dozen of us have posted on the subject over the past few years. Given the context, I figured there wasn't a necessity to go in to every single detail about the concept to which I was referring. Next time I'll be sure to give the complete explication for you.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-20-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    ...The point being, of course, that he's a rally killer either way, the bum.
    The Creeper revisted his "rally killer" philosophy last night.

Luke Scott went deep, Welsh said, "Sometimes a solo home run can be a rally killer," and then, oh by the way, the Astros scored the most runs and won the game.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Are you trying to tell me that Luke Scott's HR counted toward their overall run total that helped them win the game???

Turn Off Ads?