Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tzu Kai Chiu

Tzu Kai Chiu

I had the chance to talk with the translator for a few minutes on Monday this week. He said that Tzu is feeling great and should be ready to go when the rookie leagues begin in June. Both seemed upbeat and Tzu should pitch in the scrimmages next week. Interestingly, the translator told me that Tzu has six pitches that he uses regularly. I asked what all the pitches were but, I may have lost it in translation. Around their hotel, the two can be seen walking about, usually with a McDonald's bag in hand. His size is right in line with the reports. Has a couple of tree trunks for legs and a big solid torso. After seeing Robbie Nickols throw, I see a couple of strong lefties moving up through the system, with Robbie turning out as a real bargain with huge potential.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tzu Kai Chiu

Thanks for the report, fargo. I'll be keeping an eye out for this kid.

Is one of his pitches the infamous Gyroball?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Fargo, you are the man! Thanks for these consistant updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Thanks for the report, fargo. I'll be keeping an eye out for this kid.

Is one of his pitches the infamous Gyroball?
    It might be. Can you give me some idea as to what that might sound like in a Taiwanese dialect. One of his pitches that I did see, was the dreaded 54 foot fastball, complete with a nice skip to it. If the Reds switch to a Cricket league that could come in real handy. My son has several variations to that pitch, including the one where he skips it behind the batter. Surprisingly, this doesn't seem to fool many batters. I have asked several of the players, including Rice, what Tzu's pitches are and they have not seen enough to hazard a guess.

Fargo, if you know, how is Brandon Rice doing down there? He was someone I have some interest in after his performance last year.

Brandon pitched two innings in the Twins scrimmage, 5th and 6th I believe. He looked sharp with good control but his velocity was not at the level he had last year, or when I saw him throw at GABP, before the draft. Probably just needs more innings and a little confidence boost. I think most of the players left in extended spring training could use the same remedy.

I could imagine that just feeling like you were "left behind" in extended spring training doesn't do much for your confidence. Scrimmages probably don't do much to light the competitive fire, either. Always felt bad for those kids that had to go that route. It would be tough.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

One thing that I can give the Reds, they must've done a good job deciding who to go with. Their minor league records and pitching stats are superb. Maybe we just have to frame it that way, and perhaps many of these extended spring guys wpuld have performed just as well. Plus, in six weeks we have the draft, that'll bring in thirty more. Which is about enough to stock the two rookie teams. With Robbie going home sick and Eric arriving too late to get much experience, they should understand.

Tzu Kai started the game today, going 3 innings giving up one run in a strong debut. His control was good and his fastball hit 87 a few times. Overall, a good start. Brandon Rice went 2 and was improved from his last outing. Tyrell Young went into the game and gave up several without getting an out. He was terrific last week, so this is probably just a blip.

fargo, I may be in Sarasota/Tampa next weekend. Do they have Ext ST games scheduled for Sat and Sun, and if so....

what time and where at? (Sarasota, Bradenton, etc.)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    fargo, I may be in Sarasota/Tampa next weekend. Do they have Ext ST games scheduled for Sat and Sun, and if so....

what time and where at? (Sarasota, Bradenton, etc.)
    Jax Red, I'll find out and let you know. And Red Leader, regarding the Gyro-ball, I did ask and one of the outfielders said they've seen him throw a few gutter-balls but that's it. On that "six pitch" thing, reports only had him throwing two today. One pitcher joked "Yeah, balls and strikes".

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    One pitcher joked "Yeah, balls and strikes".
    Hahaha that was funny. Made my day better.

If nothing else, I can promise you this, those guys are having fun and livin' the dream.

Turn Off Ads?