Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear ESPN, there are OTHER teams...

Dear ESPN, there are OTHER teams...

I flipped over to ESPN to catch Baseball Tonight and it started at 9:30 central time. They went immediately into, you guessed it, the Red Sox/Yankees game. The segment lasted for 13 MINUTES. One game, 13 minutes. Better than 25% of the program. I respect the history of the 2 franchises, but it's April. :thumbdown

But what should I expect from ESPN? Answer: nothing better.

Thanks for letting me vent, y'all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dear ESPN, there are OTHER teams...

It's not just them. Wait until Fox Saturday baseball starts. We'll be getting a steady diet of Yankees/Red Sox. Those of us in fly over country just don't know how lucky we are to have these east coast teams crammed down our throats.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

It's not about the fact that most of the country is sick of Yanks/Sawks, it's the fact that more people want to watch them than any other team.

Once you understand that, avoidance is easy.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Glad I'm not the only guy who gets nauseous every time I see the Yankees / Red Sox smeared all over the TV. It's like we're supposed to really give a ****.

Guess what? I don't!

I understand that both teams have a huge fan base and strong traditions. Networks are going to run games that bring in the biggest audience. I just get tired of major networks pushing all other teams to the back-burner.

UPDATE: Baseball Tonight was cut to 30 minutes. HALF of the program was dedicated to Yanks/Red Sox. 15 games played tonight and most ignored. Is it Baseball Tonight or Yankees Tonight? And Sportscenter begins with...you guessed it...Yankees/Reds Sox highlights.

:deadhorse

Hey...let me rant! It's my first rant on this subject here.

I'm waiting for the postgame coverage to include an interview with the fan in Section 118, Row K, Seat 3.....just to see what he had to say about the
    Red Sox/Yankees game.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

And tonight was the second time in a week that they've aired Yankee/Red Sox games.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

That's what I like about XM. Sure they mention the Yanks and Sox a lot, but they give pretty good coverage to the other teams, a lot better than ESPN does.

Directv has limited capacity right now for MLB games in HD. They have two channels for MLB HD. One is almost always the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    hahah that's awesome!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    ďIím a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.Ē - Sean Casey

This is the same reason the Red's don't get the first game anymore, becuase other teams are more worthy or popular..
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Directv has limited capacity right now for MLB games in HD. They have two channels for MLB HD. One is almost always the Yankees.
    Really, can you blame DTV or ESPN? If you've got limited capacity for HD channels, or limited programming time, wouldn't it make the most business sense to cover the team that plays in the largest city (with the most TVs) in the United States?

It sucks -- but thats business, and a rivalry between two of the largest fanbases is good for business in Bristol. Unfortunately for Reds fans, the best rivalry Cincinnati had died with reallignment.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?