Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds To Honor Three Long-Time Broadcasters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds To Honor Three Long-Time Broadcasters

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this, but I looked and didn't see one. If I missed it, please excuse this.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...b-641c30212648

The Cincinnati Reds will honor three long-time broadcasters during ceremonies prior to their Sunday, June 10 game against the Cleveland Indians.

Radio microphones representing Waite Hoyt, Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall will be unveiled for permanent display below the 700 WLW Radio broadcast booth at Great American Ball Park, alongside retired uniform numbers 1 (Fred Hutchinson), 5 (Johnny Bench), 8 (Joe Morgan), 10 (Sparky Anderson), 18 (Ted Kluszewski), 20 (Frank Robinson), 24 (Tony Perez) and 42 (Jackie Robinson).

The first 30,000 fans entering the ballpark for that afternoon's 1:15 p.m. game will receive a commemorative poster featuring the three broadcasters.

"We want to recognize these Cincinnati legends for their exemplary service to our organization as broadcasters," said Reds president and chief executive officer Bob Castellini. "Through their eyes and voices, Reds fans have followed the game for the last 65 years."

Hoyt broadcast games on both Reds Radio (1942-65) and Reds TV (1948-55, 1972). From 1948-55, his radio call was broadcast simultaneously on television.

A Hall of Fame pitcher for the New York Yankees, Hoyt the broadcaster quickly developed a reputation as one of the great story tellers in baseball. His enthusiasm and infectious laugh delighted listeners, and he filled rain delays with stories of his playing days and tales of teammates Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

During his 21-year playing career, Hoyt went 237-182 for the Yankees, Detroit Tigers, Philadelphia Athletics, Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Giants and Pittsburgh Pirates. He was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1969. In 1984, Hoyt passed away at the age of 84.

Nuxhall, 78, began his broadcasting career with the Reds in 1967 and for 31 seasons from 1974-2004 teamed with Brennaman on the Reds Radio Network. In December 2003 and December 2006, Nuxhall was nominated for the Ford C. Frick award, given annually by the National Baseball Hall of Fame to a broadcaster “for major contributions to the game of baseball.” He still broadcasts games on Reds Radio.

The Reds Hall of Fame lefthander pitched in the Major Leagues for 16 years (1944, 1952-’66), including all or parts of 15 seasons with the Reds, and went 135-117, 3.90 in 526 appearances and 287 starts for Cincinnati, Kansas City and Los Angeles. As a 15-year-old on June 10, 1944 vs the Cardinals, he became the youngest player ever to appear in a Major League game, a record that never will be broken. Nuxhall has played in or broadcast games in 59 ballparks, including each of the existing ballparks except for Toronto’s Skydome, Seattle’s Safeco Field and Baltimore’s Camden Yards.

Brennaman, 64, received the Ford C. Frick Award on July 23, 2000, in ceremonies at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Brennaman, Red Barber and Russ Hodges are the only Reds announcers ever to receive the Hall of Fame’s prestigious broadcasting award.

The 2007 season is Brennaman’s 43rd as a broadcaster. He joined the Reds radio team in 1974 and has been named Ohio Sportscaster of the Year 13 times, most recently in 2006.

He also is a member of the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Hall of Fame, the National Radio Hall of Fame and the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.

"These three broadcasters are giants in Reds lore," said Greg Rhodes, executive director of the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. "They have become synonymous with Reds baseball over the years. This is a tribute they richly deserve and one that Reds fans everywhere will celebrate."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Reds To Honor Three Long-Time Broadcasters

I'm cool with honoring Reds broadcasters. However, most teams usually reserve such honors for broadcasters who have passed away. Do they risk confusing fans into thinking that Marty and Joe have passed away?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm cool with honoring Reds broadcasters. However, most teams usually reserve such honors for broadcasters who have passed away. Do they risk confusing fans into thinking that Marty and Joe have passed away?
    I think it's nice to do this for them while they're still with us. Logic and common sense tell us that Joe won't be with us much longer, and Marty's career with the Reds is likely (and in my opinion, sadly) coming to a close as well.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Sounds like a wonderful tribute. As much as folks like to complain about Marty on here, living away from Cincinnati the past few years and listening to other broadcasters of other teams has made me realize it is an absolute blessing to listen to Marty call 162 games a year. He makes most announcer sound like amateurs. I don't care if he's a little more cranky than he used to be, I will never take him for granted now after not being able to listen to him the past couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I think it's nice to do this for them while they're still with us. Logic and common sense tell us that Joe won't be with us much longer, and Marty's career with the Reds is likely (and in my opinion, sadly) coming to a close as well.
    I think it's a good idea to honor people while they're alive. Better to show appreciation while they are with us. I thought it was awesome when they decided to put Joe's catchphrase on the side of the ballpark and, as much as I disagree with Marty and don't care for his "grumpy old man" routine, I thought it would have been cool if they had put Marty's catchphrase "This one belongs to the Reds" on the side of the Reds Hall of Fame.

I was just noting the practice among other teams. The other question is, if you honor them in this manner now, what do you do as a memorial when they do pass on?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I was just noting the practice among other teams. The other question is, if you honor them in this manner now, what do you do as a memorial when they do pass on?
    Bury them in the bullpen were everyone else in Redsland goes when they're dead.

Put patches on the Reds uni's
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I think it's a good idea to honor people while they're alive. Better to show appreciation while they are with us. I thought it was awesome when they decided to put Joe's catchphrase on the side of the ballpark and, as much as I disagree with Marty and don't care for his "grumpy old man" routine, I thought it would have been cool if they had put Marty's catchphrase "This one belongs to the Reds" on the side of the Reds Hall of Fame.

You know the grumpy old man routine can get me as well, but then I hear other announcers and realize how great Marty is. Can you imagine a year of?

1. "Yankees Win. Yankees Win, Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. Yankees Win" or worse yet
    2. "An A-Bomb, from A-Rod." yuck.

Congrats to Marty and Joe.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You know the grumpy old man routine can get me as well, but then I hear other announcers and realize how great Marty is. Can you imagine a year of?

1. "Yankees Win. Yankees Win, Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. Yankees Win" or worse yet
    2. "An A-Bomb, from A-Rod." yuck.

Congrats to Marty and Joe.
    Well, to me, the Yankees broadcasts are unlistenable anyway. Maybe if I were a Yankees fan, I'd feel differently. We'll have to get vaticanplum's take on that.

In any case, I don't want to sidetrack the thread into another debate whether or not we like Marty's style. Unassisted brought up another point. Like ballplayers, should they wait until said broadcasters retire to give bestow such an honor upon them? When is the proper time to honor a broadcaster? What happens if you honor them by putting their name up there before they retire and then the relationship between the team and the broadcaster turns sour?

I think the Cubs honored Harry Carey with a statue before he died and I think the Cardinals did something for Jack Buck before he died. I want to say it was a statue but I'm not sure.

If you're going to honor a broadcaster that is getting up in years, it's best to do it while they are still alive. Guys like Buck and Carey were still active when they passed away. I wonder if the Dodgers have done something similar to honor Vin Scully?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

IMHO, it would be better to bestow honors like this in the fashion that players are so honored - after they retire.
    /r/reds

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I need one of those posters.

Schnickelfritz

A fitting honor for three well-deserving gentleman.

Y'know, I appreciate that Castellini and the Reds honor the past so well. Now let's see them do something about the present and the future.

every time fox sports shows a Marty and Joe Kroger commercial from the 80s I get a little teary eyed.

j/k

Good move for three legends. My late father used to tell me stories about Wait Hoyt. As for me, Marty & Joe on Reds Radio is a memory I'll cherish to the grave.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Turn Off Ads?