Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ross has hit rock bottom

Re: Ross has hit rock bottom

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Only one thing will help....David Ross has to go into the dryer, pronto...:dancingco
    Memories of Davey Concepcion
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

David Ross - Making Mario Mendoza look like Ted Williams since mid-2006...

Can he be stopped?

Aaron Harang, the worst hitting pitcher of all time (maybe this is hyperbole, but its not far from the truth) and his .100 BA says hello.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

I usually get mad when someone is going like this and at the beginning I was with Ross. Honestly, right now though I just feel bad for the guy. As I type this I am confident he is going to get a hit. Its the 7th inning so you know what AB I am talking about and no matter what I am not going to hit backspace base hit!!!!!!!!!! Told ya.

Let's hope that hit is the start of something good.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Recovering Cubs Fan

I tried but I'm unable to keep from pointing out that this makes Ross 3 for 3 in catching good starts by Harang. It would be great if he started hitting but his effect on the starting pitching appears to be huge.

Ross with a 2-5 night and an RBI. Is this what he needed to get his head clear and finally start hitting the ball? Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Ross with a 2-5 night and an RBI. Is this what he needed to get his head clear and finally start hitting the ball? Stay tuned...
    Maybe. Certainly got a good swing on the last one.

He may not be as good as he was last year, but he will improve from where he is now. .230 with 15 hrs is not impossible.

At last tally, Reds pitchers had posted a 3.07 ERA with Ross behind a plate vs. a 5.37 ERA with Valentin catching. While the number of games played to date is small, that's still a huge and significant difference in CERA.

As long as Ross can contribute at this level with his game-calling and handling of the pitchers, he should remain the primary catcher, with Valentin relegated to a backup role as the relief catcher and a pinch-hitter.

Mind you, I'm not defending Ross' hitting. So far this season, you would have to judge him as being more bench-like than Bench-like. Hopefully, he can soon demonstrate some power and clutch situational hitting like he did in the first half of 2006 when he effectively wrested the job away from Jason Larue.

For now, I'm inclined to cut Ross some slack. As I recall, Larue used to always take a month or two to warm up and find his groove at the plate. Then Larue would explode and carry the team through the dog days of summer -- and there were always plenty of dog days back then, with the Reds seemingly vying with the Pirates and Cubs for permanent status as cellar dwellers.

We are not yet out of the woods, and neither is Ross. The verdict's still out on whether he's a wooden batter or someone who can occasionally flash some Wood.

For now, he's our best in-house option to squat for the Reds. Over the long haul, that might mean something, it might mean squat or it might be cause to raise a ruckus and a red (Red?) flag. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    wanna bet? identifying balls and strikes was my strong point. however, actually hitting said strikes is where it would be problematic. but if you give me waist high fastballs or hanging breaking balls, i'm going to kill it.
    Im sure you would "kill" major league waist hight fastballs and hanging breaking balls.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Turn Off Ads?