Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow is this team a wreck

part of BBN

Re: Wow is this team a wreck

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yeah he's a real "great"announcer, I wonder who's keeping a tally of his gaffes?
    I will just throw this out.
    Last year towards the end of the year....Marty gave out that question thing where they give the answer in the 8th inning.
    Anyway the question was on the last song sung at Elvis Presley's last concert ever.I knew this answer and waited but when they gave the choices, the correct answer was "not" one of the 3.
    Marty said paraphrasing "this one I know "and said it was "Bridge over troubled water".(later said to be the right one)
    Well..I thought it would be interesting to get Marty's reponse to being "so sure" and finding out he was wrong so i sent a PM to Matt and informed him and also sent a copy of the songs and order of the songs from the last concert.I told him from his Las Vegas years till the end , Elvis always ended his concerts with the same song "I Cant Help Falling In Love".
    Well I listened to 8th and Marty again gave the answer as what he had said saying he "knew" that one all along.
    I sent another PM to Matt who told me the guys at the station pick the questions so I dont know if Marty was ever told or not.
    BTW....his last concert had an intermission and the song before the intermission was "Bridge Over Troubled Water" so...I dont know, maybe Marty went to the concert and left at "halftime" to go watch the reds or something.
    Anyway...Marty was wrong on that.
    Just a little extra nugget.
    Last edited by jmac; 04-22-2007 at 12:13 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    Did Adam Dunn do something to the Brennaman family? Why do they hate him? My money is on little-man's comlex towards him. Seriously.
    i dont think dunn did anything to the brennaman family. and they dont like him because he is a professional baseball player that is not a good hitter or fielder. dunn has his moments, but overall he just isnt that good of a hitter, and he kills the reds when the few chances they have to score runs, he strikes out to kill the rally.

Why are people acting like Thom and Marty single only Dunn out? Thom has ripped on Freel plenty from what I've seen.

They are both fans. I'd rather have them doing the game then "gee whiz" Grande. Did anyone hear Thom's emotion during the Hatte homer and BP walkoff single? Those 2 calls were better then anything I heard from Grande.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I wouldn't care if Thom and Marty ripped on Dunn if their arguments were correct. The constant bashing of Dunn reminds me of how New York treats A-rod. I just can't believe the amount of disrespect given to the most productive offensive threat. I saw somewhere earlier where Marty was suggesting the Reds should bench Dunn. Considering the Reds should've lost 86 games last year, take another 100 runs out of this lineup and you lose 100 games.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why are people acting like Thom and Marty single only Dunn out? Thom has ripped on Freel plenty from what I've seen.

They are both fans. I'd rather have them doing the game then "gee whiz" Grande. Did anyone hear Thom's emotion during the Hatte homer and BP walkoff single? Those 2 calls were better then anything I heard from Grande.
    Agreed.

Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I saw somewhere earlier where Marty was suggesting the Reds should bench Dunn. Considering the Reds should've lost 86 games last year, take another 100 runs out of this lineup and you lose 100 games.
    Oh, I'm laughing!! So his replacement doesn't produce any runs? Does his replacement atleast get to field?
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Marty in the first: "Dunn doing what he does best: swinging right through it."

Marty in the eighth (?): "Time to face facts. Adam Dunn is not a run producer."

Marty later in that inning: "I would think this team might look at putting Junior in left, Ryan Freel in center, Josh Hamilton in right, and sitting Adam Dunn on the bench."
    Why is he wrong? You would think a guy who hits 40 HR in a year would have more than 92 RBIs. You would think a guy who hit 46 HR in a year would have hit more than 102 RBI's in a year. You would think a guy who's hit 40 HR in a year would have more than 100 RBI's period. Run producers drive in runs when their team needs them to. Does that not bother anyone? I'd like to know the percentage of runs driven in by Dunn other than the HR. My guess. . .not so many.

i have said before and will probably say again that one reason the reds aren't as popular in cincinnati as they once were is that there primary spokesman - marty - is not a positive force and makes fans bitter about the team and its young players.

It also may have something to do with not making the playoffs in over a decade.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    David Ross needs to go. . .I'm serious. . he needs to go. Last year was a career year.
    So, who do you replace him with?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Marty in the first: "Dunn doing what he does best: swinging right through it."

Marty in the eighth (?): "Time to face facts. Adam Dunn is not a run producer."

Marty later in that inning: "I would think this team might look at putting Junior in left, Ryan Freel in center, Josh Hamilton in right, and sitting Adam Dunn on the bench."
    Dunn is still getting on base at a .373 clip, and slugging .522 for an OPS of .895.

Oh yeah, he's also batting .299 and leads the team with 20 hits. He's struck out in 37% of his at bats. For the sake of argument, Manos de Oro has also struck out in 37% of his at bats. Dunn doesn't lead the team in outs made by the way. Dunn's 9 RBI are third on the team behind Hamilton's 11 and Phillips' 10.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Why is he wrong? You would think a guy who hits 40 HR in a year would have more than 92 RBIs. You would think a guy who hit 46 HR in a year would have hit more than 102 RBI's in a year. You would think a guy who's hit 40 HR in a year would have more than 100 RBI's period. Run producers drive in runs when their team needs them to. Does that not bother anyone? I'd like to know the percentage of runs driven in by Dunn other than the HR. My guess. . .not so many.
    RBI is such a subjective stat. You have to consider that the guys in front of you have to be on base before you can drive them in.

In 2004, Dunn finished fifth in the NL in extra base hits with 80. He came in sixth in 2005 with 77 extra base hits.

For his career, Dunn has hit a homerun every 14.3 at bats. That's sixth among active players, and 10th all time. The top 20?

1. Mark McGwire
    2. Babe Ruth
    3. Barry Bonds
    4. Jim Thome
    5. Albert Pujols
    6. Manny Ramirez
    7. Ralph Kiner
    8. Harmon Killebrew
    9. Sammy Sosa
    10. Adam Dunn
    11. Alex Rodriguez
    12. Ted Williams
    13. Ken Griffey
    14. Carlos Delgado
    15. Juan Gonzalez
    T. Dave Kingman
    17. Mickey Mantle
    18. Jimmie Foxx
    19. Mike Schmidt
    20. Jose Canseco

There sure are a lot of "not very good hitters" on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Dunn doesn't lead the team in outs made by the way.
    To quote myself and follow up on this post, here is how the Reds rank in # of outs:

1. Brandon Phillips-56
    2. Adam Dunn-47
    3. Edwin Encarnacion-44
    4. Ryan Freel-44
    5. Ken Griffey Jr.-38
    6. Alex Gonzalez-37
    7. David Ross-34
    8. Scott Hatteberg-32
    9. Josh Hamilton-22
    10. Jeff Conine-20
    11. Juan Castro-17
    12. Javier Valentin-16
    13. Chad Moeller-5
    14. Norris Hopper-2
    15. Enrique Cruz-1

Yeah, he controls how many guys are on base when he homers. Especially when the guys batting in front of you are 8,9,1.

Quote Originally Posted by Marge'sMullet View Post
    Oh, I'm laughing!! So his replacement doesn't produce any runs? Does his replacement atleast get to field?
    Well........let's look at the Reds backup outfielders..........no, they don't produce runs real well.

Turn Off Ads?