Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball is a funny game!!

Baseball is a funny game!!

The reds luck is just plain horrible!! I mean all these years we could hit and score with the best teams in the league and had a good bullpen.Now this year we FINALLY have a decent starting pitching rotation that will keep the other teams from scoring our Hitting has hit rock bottom and our bullpen is terrible.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Baseball is a funny game!!

It sure is. I posted this in a Reds Live thread not long ago:

"After tonight, our starters(if my calculations are correct)have gone 112.2 IP, 50 ER for a 4.01 ERA. And we're nothing more than a .500 team right now. It's an absolute shame that our offense is wasting this great pitching."

The starting pitchers deserve alot better than what they are getting.All the starters yes even Milton goes out there every night and pitches their butts off to only get a lose or a no decision.The whole team needs to have a closed door meeting and try to figure out how to fix this mess.Yes we are 9-9 but we should be alot better.

i don't really think it's bad luck - i think it stems from trading a lot offense for pitching, from having too much salary tied up in an aging superstar who sadly doesn't contribute that much any more, and to consistently signing very bad offensive players such as juan castro.

I keep waiting for this offense to bust out. They're bad, but they aren't this bad. Things will improve. That said, this team could be 12-6 right now with some better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    I keep waiting for this offense to bust out. They're bad, but they aren't this bad. Things will improve. That said, this team could be 12-6 right now with some better luck.
    It must be my morning to disagree with you, Herd Fan.

I wouldn't say our offense is bad. It's not as powerful as in previous years, but there's no reason it should be this anemic. A lot of folks are starting out very slowly. As I said elsewhere, I'm hoping this April is last September and then we're done with it. We'll see.

Has anyone noticed that Dun has dropped his hands? He (when he was going a little better) had his hands up higher and i think it took the hitch out of his swing. Now the hands have dropped and his hitch is back. I wonder if that's because his back is hurting, thus he's compensating with his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Has anyone noticed that Dun has dropped his hands? He (when he was going a little better) had his hands up higher and i think it took the hitch out of his swing. Now the hands have dropped and his hitch is back. I wonder if that's because his back is hurting, thus he's compensating with his hands.
    I personally think that Dunn is more hurt than he's letting on. Back spasms have the ability to hang around for a good while. He won't sit so I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle for a few weeks. Shame too, he was off to such a good start.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    I agree they are not this bad. However, I don't think the pitching is as good as it's been. This is a below .500 team.

It's really sad
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    i don't really think it's bad luck - i think it stems from trading a lot offense for pitching, from having too much salary tied up in an aging superstar who sadly doesn't contribute that much any more, and to consistently signing very bad offensive players such as juan castro.
    While the trade was a failure, I believe that if Kearns and Lopez were still with the team, they would be fitting in perfectly with the struggling offense, rather than playing the roll of slump busters.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    While the trade was a failure, I believe that if Kearns and Lopez were still with the team, they would be fitting in perfectly with the struggling offense, rather than playing the roll of slump busters.
    Kearns I have no problem with being gone. I'd take FeLo back in a minute though. He's thriving in the leadoff role in Washington so far this year while playing second base. Not trying to turn this into yet another "trade" thread though.

This team is in transition. It will take awhile. There will be new players as Dunn's big option comes up (perhaps not exercised), Griffey's deal fades off, Hatteberg/Conine will give way to a more permanent first baseman (hopefully a middle-of-order guy), some younger pitchers come up for rotation and pen. There will be continued development of guys like EE. There will Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce -- both of whom appear to be the real thing. (Bruce should be moved ahead more quickly.)

Right now, the Reds don't look like a contender, but they have some talent and could do ok this year. Most importantly, the future is bright as they add better hitters and some young developing arms, many of whom are already in the system.

When the trade happened something told me that this was a mistake b/c they was alot of our ofense exspecially Lopez.The way things are going now for our ofense I really think Kearns could have helped us.Ah the trade is over and done with and Bowden burned us.

Dunn has his hands back up--this is good.

Turn Off Ads?