Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WEHT Brad Kullman?

WEHT Brad Kullman?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...5/1082/SPT0101

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Quick, name the former Reds general manager who had the biggest effect on the current club as far as trades.

It's not Jim Bowden. Ken Griffey Jr. is the only player on the roster that he traded for.

It's not Dan O'Brien. He didn't trade for one player on the current roster.

It's Brad Kullman. Kullman was in charge of the Reds only briefly - in the interim between Bowden's firing and O'Brien's hiring, and between the time O'Brien was fired and Wayne Krivsky hired. Kullman was fired himself shortly after Krivsky took over.

But Kullman went along way toward shaping the current club by making a series of trades around the deadline in 2003.

He acquired two-fifths of the current rotation in Aaron Harang and Matt Belisle, as well as two lefties, Phil Dumatrait and Tyler Pelland, who could eventually make it to the big leagues.

"I'm especially proud of getting Matt," he said. "I've always pulled for him to be a starter. In 2005, his velocity was up, so they wanted him as an arm for the bullpen. But I always thought he was best suited for starting."

The Reds got Belisle for Kent Mercker. Of all the trades made in 2003, it came the closest to not happening.

"The Braves didn't want to give up Belisle," Kullman said. "We weren't able to get it done at the trade deadline."

But Mercker passed through waivers, and the Braves relented and offered Belisle in early August.

"(Then CEO) John Allen didn't want to do it," Kullman said. "We were getting hammered for all the the trades. I told John that Mercker was going to be a free agent. We could sign him back. He finally let us make the trade."

Kullman admits he wasn't certain Harang would turn into what he is now - a top-of-the-rotation guy. The Reds got Harang, Joe Valentine and Jeff Bruksch from Oakland for Jose Guillen.

"We knew we were getting a big workhorse type," Kullman said. "We wanted him to work on his conditioning. He's done that."

Dumatrait and Pelland came from Boston for Scott Williamson. Williamson was still a year from free agency, but the Reds were concerned enough about his arm to make the deal anyway.

Not all the deals Kullman made during what was known as the Fire Sale of '03 worked out.

The Reds were hoping to get a No. 1 starter when they sent Aaron Boone to the New York Yankees for Brandon Claussen. Claussen had one decent year before hurting his shoulder. The club ultimately released him.

Kullman still lives in Cincinnati. He is working as a consultant for Jon Niednagel of Brain Type Institute, doing motor skills studies. Niednagel is well-known in sports. He consulted for the Reds under Bowden.

Kullman watches the Reds with interest - particularly the guys he got.

"I'm very happy for them," he said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: WEHT Brad Kullman?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...5/1082/SPT0101

"(Then CEO) John Allen didn't want to do it," Kullman said. "We were getting hammered for all the the trades. I told John that Mercker was going to be a free agent. We could sign him back. He finally let us make the trade."
    Assuming he aspires to work in baseball again, this is not something he should be telling a reporter. Even if it's true, which I don't doubt it is.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I liked Kullman. I was just glad someone in the organization had a sabermetric background. Granted he annoyed a goodly number of folks here, but he made more good trades in 3 days than the last 2 GM's did in 4 years. And he made them under the gun with no real leverage.

It was quite apparent he had some difficulty in dealing with people- i thought a good organization could of used him in some capacity. When a new administration comes in Conventional Wisdom says you have to get rid of the old. That's beyond old school in my eyes, but baseball organizations tend to run about 30 or 40 years behind the times. It's right up there with loyalty oaths and everyone is fired until they sign on with the new admin. (eye roll).

I didn't know anyone that really liked him. Basically sounded like he was never a baseball guy, even a numbers guy. Somehow walked into a job when things kept opening up and he was the one sitting there waiting to take the job.

I heard the guy talk on about 10 different occasions- it wasn't like he was Bobby Knight. He was probably a little grandiose. My guess is he never fit in the organization --that's a compliment. I think Bowden hired him and probably protected him (he needed a sabermetric viewpoint -keep in mind that Bowden had 100 advisors). When Bowden leaves Kullman is not protected anymore so everyone he's ever crossed takes a swing.

A healthy organization would have been able to see his strengths and use them as they see fit. Whereas the Reds (at that time) were so dysfunctional
    it was everyman for himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost power because he wasn't "nice". People have been fired for less. Well, heck i remember a time when we had a racist owner fire a manager for morality reasons. Sometimes things don't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I heard the guy talk on about 10 different occasions- it wasn't like he was Bobby Knight. He was probably a little grandiose. My guess is he never fit in the organization --that's a compliment. I think Bowden hired him and probably protected him (he needed a sabermetric viewpoint -keep in mind that Bowden had 100 advisors). When Bowden leaves Kullman is not protected anymore so everyone he's ever crossed takes a swing.

A healthy organization would have been able to see his strengths and use them as they see fit. Whereas the Reds (at that time) were so dysfunctional
    it was everyman for himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost power because he wasn't "nice". People have been fired for less. Well, heck i remember a time when we had a racist owner fire a manager for morality reasons. Sometimes things don't add up.
    That's probably a fair assessment. It seemed like he sounded like he had a good head on his shoulders. Well, except the whole "Brain Type" stuff, which seems like junk science. However, I've never dealt with him personally, and I think Team Clark said he wasn't the most modest guy in the room and wasn't exactly well liked. Of course it seems like that was the culture under Bowden.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

sigh.fay might want to do some research. Bowden traded for EE.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Good point. You can't write an aritcle like that and miss something that major. Wonder what else his lack of proper research left out?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Where in the article does it say Kullman acquired EE?

Edit: Oh, I see your point. That Griffey is the only one he traded for.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 04-22-2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: understood his point.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I thought for sure that Bowden would hire Kullman. Good thing I didn't bet my house on it.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Assuming he aspires to work in baseball again, this is not something he should be telling a reporter. Even if it's true, which I don't doubt it is.
    Seems like a little bit of revisionist history to make himself look good.

Allen clearly wanted everyone making any money gone in 2003. Allen didn't give a rip about alienating the fans. Allen wanted the fire sale.

Also, didn't Maddox have a lot of input into those firesale trades as well.

Sure, Harang was a good score, but Guillen was a solid middle of the order bat. Harang deserves credit for making himself into an ace pitcher.. At the time, he was only projected to be a #5 pitcher.

As far as Belisle goes, I wish him the best, but I'm still skeptical. He might finally be able to contribute now, but he's still a question mark.

Kullman failed to mention how bad some of those 2003 trades came out.. He shouldn't be patting himself on the back so much.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Kullman failed to mention how bad some of those 2003 trades came out.. He shouldn't be patting himself on the back so much.
    And do you list your failures on your resume?
    Suck it up cupcake.

And do you list your failures on your resume?
    My point is that Kullman and Maddox made many trades. Fay said "Quick, name the former Reds general manager who had the biggest effect on the current club as far as trades." And said it was Kulman.

Let's see, there's 2 players that Kulman acquired on the roster.

There was another group of players besides Boone that Kulman traded and has nothing to show for them.

Even though Kulman/Maddox got Harang, they were a dismal failure as GMs.
    I want more than Harang when the team trades the following:

The best 3b on the market
    The best RF on the market
    Its entire bullpen, which was very good
    Its second string catcher
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Dumatrait and Pelland have a chance at being better than Williamson. A chance, not a sure thing, but a chance.

Claussen was a bitter disappointment, but in theory, that was a good trade.

Merker for Belisle was not just a good trade, it was free as Merker ended back in Cincinnati.

I doubt Guillen had more trade value than what was received, as he is on his third team since that trade. Nobody can stomach the guy.

Considering the circumstances, I'd say the tandem did pretty well.
    Suck it up cupcake.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I liked each of those trades made by the Maddox/Kullman tandem in 2003 at the time they were made. Claussen didn't work, but at the time, he was highly thought of.
    Last edited by deltachi8; 04-23-2007 at 03:15 PM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?