Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HHow long before Narron and Jacoby are fired?

HHow long before Narron and Jacoby are fired?

Do you think Narron and/or Jacoby will be fired? If so when? I say by athe all star break if this crap continues.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: HHow long before Narron and Jacoby are fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio View Post
    Do you think Narron and/or Jacoby will be fired? If so when? I say by athe all star break if this crap continues.

Well, if Narron doesn't start pitching better, he's definitely on the way out. And Jacoby better stop striking out, or he's toast.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Well, if Narron doesn't start pitching better, he's definitely on the way out. And Jacoby better stop striking out, or he's toast.
    However, Dick Pole has been a major surprise. He can still pitch. And Tom Hume closing? WOW - hasn't been this lights out since '79.

Positives, old man, positives.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Narron doesn't swing the bats or throw the pitches. I'm not his biggest fan but he can't play the game for the team. Now, maybe Tracy Jones could.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    Narron doesn't swing the bats or throw the pitches.
    No, but he tells them what to do.

Narron doesn't swing the bats or throw the pitches. I'm not his biggest fan but he can't play the game for the team. Now, maybe Tracy Jones could.
    Maybe? tsk tsk - If Jones were here, we would need no other outfielders, only one infielder, and the pitcher could throw underhanded as he would telepathically make the batter miss every pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    No, but he tells them what to do.

Jerry Narron: Now, Rossie, you go up there and just look silly at the plate

Rossie: yes sir.

Jerry Narron: Phillippy, swing at the first pitch all the time (even if it bounces three feet in front of the plate

Phillippy: yes sir

Jerry Narron: Coff, just groove those pitches and let them smack you around.

Coff: yes sir.

Oh, please!

Certainly there are concerns on the team thus far, but there have been surprises. I'd rather have our slump now than later (think last September!). I doubt either will be fired this season, nor do I think they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd rather have our slump now than later (think last September!)
    I agree except I dont know if it is a slump or just a bad team offensively.

Just checking, but isn't the team .500? And, the whole, you-can't-win-the-division-in-April-but-you-can-lose-it-then line, isn't the team basically doing fine for the division and the time of the season? Why would anyone get fired?

What are people's expectations?

I thought the predictions thread showed that the board pretty much thought this was a .500 team (on balance). And they are .500 so far. What is the fireable event?

I see enough here to leave me with optimism. Better than expected starting pitching so far. The hope that it can be better than expected for the long haul. An offense that will be better when Jr. wakes up and EE returns from his coma. A bullpen that will be on occasion decent.

It all adds up to a team that will win roughly as much as it loses, and, if it catches a few breaks, maybe a few more than that. A few injuries and bad breaks? A few less than that.

But, really, ebbs and flows people. It's a long season, and this is not a powerhouse team. So, no, no firings. Ridiculous.

He micro manages enough, perhaps he is playing through them vicariously.

Narron reminds me of a couple other managers like Narron that never had a winning record, Boone and Miley.

People defended them to the death , they got fired.

People blamed the players then too, of course they blame them now, seems reasonable, but what isn’t reasonable is that the front office no matter who’s name has been on the door has not improved the team so that a Boone, Miley or Narron could win with the resources that they have available.

People say be patient, people say don’t spend money on established stars, six losing seasons working on seven is not patient? Enough money has not already been spent?

I blame the optimist, not the manager, not the general manager, not the players but the optimist that support a bad product giving ownership a thought that they can profit without offering a quality product. The optimist offer up a lot of boilerplate and puffery, but selectively ignore the losing seasons.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-22-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Considering the team has done much better than most expected, and considering the starting pitcher has been excellent (considered my most to me our weakest point), I'd say we should be celebrating.

As long as we stay around .500, it's hard to suggest we are under achieving.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Of course, Jerry Narron will be fired. Someday; but most probably not this year.

Narron is not this team's problem. Eric Milton is not this team's problem.

The Reds, as of this morning, rank 6th in pitching (ranked by ERA) in the NL.

They rank 15th in hitting (BA) and 10th in runs scored. And tied for 2nd last in defense.

Much the same as the collapse of late summer 2006, the offense (lack of it, to be precise) gets most of the blame here, IMO. Relief pitching must also take some of the blame, especially at the back of the bullpen, in tight situations.

Ross, EE, and BP have been disappointing, thus far. I think the worse thing Brandon Phillips can do anymore is hit a home run, because whenever he does, he swings as hard as he can, from his heels for 2-3 games thereafter. Phillips can be a very fine ballplayer, if he would just concentrate more on putting the bat on the ball and hitting line drives; he doesn't have to hit HR's.

Edwin Encarnacion is a favorite of RZ fans, but he has been truly bad this year, thus far at the plate, and now it's starting to show up on the field as well. EE has improved his defense over last year, and has always been solid at the plate. This is kind of a mystery to me. I look for him to snap out of it, but sometimes a young player needs a kick in the rear in order to do that, which Narron applied, to my applause. He's no Brandon Larson, at least I hope he's not. But I've noticed the comparisons starting to come up on some threads this weekend. I always read with a chuckle how badly Narron is screwing Edwin up, when all Jerry keeps doing is putting him down there at 3B. Of course JN wants EE to do well- if Eddie plays well and hits like gangbusters, JN looks good too.

Dave Ross is a back-up catcher. Many folks here predicted that this would happen. He had a hot 1st half last year, and that's been it. I really hope Dave Ross can regain the form of early 2006. I was a LaRue fan, but Jason has lost it, too, and would be no improvement over the 2 guys we have now. He's currently hitting below the Mendoza line as well. The Latin Love Machine can't catch everyday (more specifically, he cannot throw), although he can hit the rock. Catching is going to be a big problem all year for this team.

The need for a RH hitting OF with some pop, has been exposed. If EE, BP and Ross would step up at least against LH pitching, a big problem would be solved. Personally, i think Deno would help, but he would have been in the way of Hamilton's play. Had Deno been here, Hammy would not have received the AB's he has to this point, and might still be rusting on the bench.

It remains to be seen, IMO, if Jacoby is good hitting coach or not. It's way too early to make any decision on him. He was brought in specifically to work with Dunn, as he did when Dunn was knocking the ball with power to all fields in the Reds minor league system. Dunn was playing well until he went out one game with back spasms, and he has been a strikeout machine (ala September 2006) since.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I think Tony Perez lasted a little longer than this....

Fire Narron? Wow.

Jacoby?? If this keeps up through JULY "maybe".
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Considering the team has done much better than most expected, and considering the starting pitcher has been excellent (considered my most to me our weakest point), I'd say we should be celebrating.

As long as we stay around .500, it's hard to suggest we are under achieving.
    Agreed, I am thrilled to see the pitching performing like it is. Years past when the Reds were at .500 or better it was usually because the hitting was outperforming the woeful pitching. This time it is the other way around and anyone who has a clue about the game knows that good pitching wins in the long run. Its the optimist is me that has lotta hope for this team simply because the Central is not very good and I have the gut feel the hitting will come around sooner or later.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?