Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alex Gonzalez

Re: Alex Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    My opinion hasn't changed much from day one...teams like Boston and NY would benefit from a signing like this one, not Cincy. Plug a hole with someone who will help defensively and not be an absolute black hole in the lineup. This team needed a lot more than that and this signing didn't get them any closer to the post-season.
    We've seen in years past what bad defense can do. You simply cannot give extra outs in the big leagues. You have to pitch well, play very good defense, and MAKE CONTACT at the plate. Those are the keys to winning baseball games. This team's main problem is lack of contact. If they put the bat on the ball more, Gonzo's offense would not be an issue.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If they could have every position filled with guys who can hit AND field, they'd be set. But, this is not realistic. SS is an important defensive position, and the Reds have on who can glove up. The same goes for Phillips. Now find some offense for the corner spots.

...14 million over three years isn't going to handcuff the team.

He's pretty smooth out there and has been as advertised with the glove and better than advertised with the stick. However, the few errors he has made have sure come at inopportune times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    If they could have every position filled with guys who can hit AND field, they'd be set. But, this is not realistic. SS is an important defensive position, and the Reds have on who can glove up. The same goes for Phillips. Now find some offense for the corner spots.

...14 million over three years isn't going to handcuff the team.
    Agreed, it's not the SS position that's killing us in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    mark my words agon will win the gold glove
    Marked, but it won't happen.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Agreed, it's not the SS position that's killing us in the lineup.
    It's not the position. It's just one of many that's killing the Reds offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    and MAKE CONTACT at the plate.
    "Ya know, making contact at the plate got me a play named after me."

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    This team's main problem is lack of contact.
    To me, that's only one facet of the main problem: these guys seem to have a problem with fundamentals. They leave runners stranded, they are inconsistent defensively, the offense can't be counted on to bail out a bad pitching start and the bullpen can't keep a game close.

But you keep on hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLaird View Post
    To me, that's only one facet of the main problem: these guys seem to have a problem with fundamentals. They leave runners stranded, they are inconsistent defensively, the offense can't be counted on to bail out a bad pitching start and the bullpen can't keep a game close.

Skip: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Larry: Lollygaggers!

Skip: Lollygaggers.

Gonzalez is smooth at shortstop it is true, but I would rather have Felipe Lopez's 4 errors and 24 hits than Alex Gonzalez's 2 errors and only 13 hits.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    mark my words agon will win the gold glove
    Mark my words, with Jose Reyes, Adam Everett, Omar Vizquel and Jack Wilson around he won't even get a sniff of the Gold Glove. Khalil Greene, Jimmy Rollins and Cesar Izturis aren't going to get a sniff either and they're all very good defenders too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Mark my words, with Jose Reyes, Adam Everett, Omar Vizquel and Jack Wilson around he won't even get a sniff of the Gold Glove. Khalil Greene, Jimmy Rollins and Cesar Izturis aren't going to get a sniff either and they're all very good defenders too.
    Good point.

Alex Gonzalez has never won the Gold Glove in his career. He wasn't even a full-time player for the Red Sox last year. Besides, when guys like Derek Jeter and Palmeiro win the Gold Glove it shows that being the best fielder is rarely the criterion required for winning the award. Palmeiro only played 28 games at 1B in 1999 but he won the Gold Glove.

Turn Off Ads?