Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast

Thread: 4-22 vs Phillies -- No Griffey again

Re: 4-22 vs Phillies -- No Griffey again

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Think about how many times teams have either torn down and rebuilt or retooled since the start of the Reds' run of futility in 2000.

Marlins (twice)
    Braves--countless times
    A's--countless times
    Giants--often
    Cleveland
    Detroit

With each passing year, the excuses continue to weaken.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Think about how many times teams have either torn down and rebuilt or retooled since the start of the Reds' run of futility in 2000.

Marlins (twice)
    Braves--countless times
    A's--countless times
    Giants--often
    Cleveland
    Detroit

With each passing year, the excuses continue to weaken.
    I hate to say it but if we continue to play like this I wouldn't be opposed to a firesale at the trade deadline this year with anyone and everyone on the big league club available (this of course would not include Hamilton). It seems like many of us wouldn't mind having a new team to cheer for. At least that way we could have a new team while still cheering for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    So if you "create" six runs in a game and only score 4, do those extra 2 "created" runs carry over into the next game like Cingular rollover minutes? Or does each game start at zero, since a walk on Monday really doesn't have much of an impact on Thursday?

Once again, going into today's game.

Actual Runs-71
    Runs Created-67.9

Seems pretty accurate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Once again, going into today's game.

Actual Runs-71
    Runs Created-67.9

Seems pretty accurate to me.
    Go game by game...because if you "create" 5 runs on Monday and 0 runs on Tuesday and actually score 3 runs on Monday and 2 on Tuesday, the sum will look good but the details aren't that great.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I hate to say it but if we continue to play like this I wouldn't be opposed to a firesale at the trade deadline this year with anyone and everyone on the big league club available (this of course would not include Hamilton). It seems like many of us wouldn't mind having a new team to cheer for. At least that way we could have a new team while still cheering for the Reds.
    I do not understand who this team could get in a "firesale"?
    I mean let's trade Ross, Conine,Hatt, BP, etc.
    Some of the guys we have got thru trading these type guys include ...Hancock, Ramirez,Chick, Machado, to name a few. I am not saying your idea isnt a good one "if" you have the people to do it but I just dont see getting a player of any caliber for Weathers/Stanton/Loshe.
    Yes we did get Harang but he was the exception.
    Do you ever yard sale ?
    Sometimes you drive by and see what they have and think "this one looks good" and you stop.
    Other times you look and say "I'm just gonna drive on by this one"

well...the reds could get something but I have my doubts ,how much.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Go game by game...because if you "create" 5 runs on Monday and 0 runs on Tuesday and actually score 3 runs on Monday and 2 on Tuesday, the sum will look good but the details aren't that great.
    I don't have a game-by-game breakdown. Not sure

RC does tend to over estimate runs, but by a very small margin. It's a great tool, and very accurate.

If you want to do the research to try to disprove, it's fine with me.

Testing forumlas is always appreciated.

Last year the Reds averaged 4.62 actual runs and 5.04 runs created. A little less then 1/2 run a game. Which isn't that great.

Since the beginning of the 2005 season, the Reds have scored 4.78 runs/game vs 5.05 RC game.

So about .25 Runs a game, or 1 run per 4 games.
    Pretty darn accurate.

6 runs and 16 hits in 3 games. This team is just not very good offensively and the pen sucks.

could anyone make sense of the double switch to take out EE when he was due to bat again before the game was over? I guess maybe Castro > EE.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I hate to say it but if we continue to play like this I wouldn't be opposed to a firesale
    there isn't much to sell.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Poor drafting in the early part of the decade dooms the team in the late part of the decade. Most, if not all, of the teams you listed have pipelines of talent in the minors that are nearly bursting with capacity. The Braves have possibly the best in-house scouting operations in baseball and seem to always make the right call when it comes to sending minor leaguers out for talent and retaining minor leaguers to bring up to the big leagues. The Marlins, by comparison, always seem to make the right call in bringing in talent.

What do the Reds do well? Neither. They luck out from time to time (Harang), but for the most part the young talent and minor league talent they bring in is either middling (Jimenez, Bray) or outright awful (Claussen, Valentine, Nelson, Harris, Ramirez, Germano, Chick, Bong, Majewski). Up until recently, the drafting has been just a tick above disasterous.

Hard to rebuild when you keep acquiring substandard materials in every transaction.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Put every position player on the block (provided we don't sell low on everyone.) This would mean Dunn, Freel, and even EE and Phillips if they'll fetch something. Load up on pitching and stock the club with prospects. This offense can certainly get worse but not a whole lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I remember as a UK fan watching a basketball game between UK and UC several years ago during the Bowie-Turpin-Walker season.UK won something like 28-12.One of the announcers said and I have never forgot ,"this is about exciting as watching a car rust".
    That applies to this team for the moment.
    Well...is the "moment" or do the reds do this all season.....??

I think you are remembering the UK-Notre Dame game at Southbend. It was before the shot-clock, either 1982, or 1983. Digger had no chance to beat us in a regularly played game and he knew it, so he tried to hold the ball the whole game.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Which is why you acquire MLB pitchers with a history of production: they either produce for you, which is good; or if they don't produce enough, then they are still tradeable.

When you stick with the garbage that's already here or pick up a bunch of garbage no one would want in trade (Stanton), you doom yourself to relying EXCLUSIVELY on the farm, which, for now (and for a number of years into the future), is nonexistent for the Reds.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

At least losing means we fans are closer to getting a GM who might actually make a difference.

Maybe?

Please?
    If you can't find good in Krivsky, then you'll never like anyone.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    If you can't find good in Krivsky, then you'll never like anyone.
    I like a lot of MLB GMs. The difference being, the ones I like win trades and acquire talent.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?