Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast

Thread: 4-22 vs Phillies -- No Griffey again

Re: 4-22 vs Phillies -- No Griffey again

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I like a lot of MLB GMs. The difference being, the ones I like win trades and acquire talent.
    He does seem to have an eye for talent and lack of ability to find the appropriate deal. His low risk/no risk acquisitions have done well, his ability to maximize his resources or sell his own assets decidedly less so.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    He does seem to have an eye for talent and lack of ability to find the appropriate deal. His low risk/no risk acquisitions have done well, his ability to maximize his resources or sell his own assets decidedly less so.

I know I've said it a million times, but Jimbo was also good at low risk/no risk acquisitions.

But that alone won't get you where you want to go. He needs to start making some centerpiece deals like Jocketty and Schuerholz make.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Put every position player on the block (provided we don't sell low on everyone.) This would mean Dunn, Freel, and even EE and Phillips if they'll fetch something. Load up on pitching and stock the club with prospects. This offense can certainly get worse but not a whole lot worse.
    A fire sale in April? Honestly.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

He needs to start making some centerpiece deals like Jocketty and Schuerholz make.
    his one attempt at it to this point was a colossal failure.

Narron should stick with the line up he used the 1st week of the season. It's too early to tinker and far too early to panic.

Matt Belisle was brutally inconsistant today. There was times he was completely lost, other times I was wondering why he wasn't gong for a complete game, wow!!!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

April '06 was the time to do it. That window was closed with the extension of Harang and Arroyo. Gotta keep trying to win with filler and hope the draft can stock the minors now.

M2 said it best, this FO relies far too heavily on pixie dust for my taste. I have a feeling if WK were a financial consultant he'd have his clients buying lottery tickets.

I know I've said it a million times, but Jimbo was also good at low risk/no risk acquisitions.

But that alone won't get you where you want to go. He needs to start making some centerpiece deals like Jocketty and Schuerholz make.
    Yep, FCB - there's Jockettys and Schuerholzes falling from GM Trees.

You are getting very redundant in your arguments. How did one become a Jocketty and Schuerholz?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I just got back from the game - I attended Saturday nights game plus todays game.

Some observations:

1. Milton actually pitched pretty good, only three runs in six innings and it should have been only one run but EdE botched a routine doubleplay.

2. David Ross is awful. Cut him or do whatever you have to do. A Triple play? Wow, any other time he just swings and misses.

3. Adam Dunn is lost. This guy currently has zero pitch recogniton. He just swings away at anything. If I were an opposing pitcher I wouldn't throw him a strike, because, at this point, he will swing at anything from a fastball shoulder height to an offspeed pitch in the dirt.

4. This offense is terrible. They swing at the first pitch it seems every atbat, they chase so many bad pitches, and refuse to make adjustments. I would love to have Chris Chambliss back.

BTW, did anyone else see Josh Hamilton doing the wave with the fans during last night's game? He also kissed the baseball during the kiss cam last night. It was hilarious. You can tell he loves being out there on the baseball field.

part of BBN

I was not in no way advocating a firesale but merely pointing out....a firesale will not bring back much at all that would help at the major league level.

Observations from todays game:

Belisle looked shaky today but kept us in it and managable. Stanton was off from the get go and got tatooed.

Not sure why Narron pulled Stanton for Santos. The game was lost at that point. Let him get the last out or two and keep Santos rested.

I'm not one to get too crazy about line ups, but the one yesterday was nearly criminal. The one today was better, but not by much. Narron was relatively consistant the first week or two. This isn't the time to pull the plug and start tinkering. You are not as smart as you think you are Jerry.

Edwin was pulled right after his throwing error. "Double switch" my foot. I don't know what EE did to get on Narrons poop-list but whatever it is, Jerry's got a case of the goo, that is for sure.

Dunn is definatley off. Wonder if those back spasims are still bothering him? Hamilton looked very human today. Gonzo might have swung at an errant hot dog wrapper...not sure about that, better check the tape.

Runners definatley showing some respect for Hamilton's throwing arm. Several guys today threw on the breaks when the ball ended up in Josh's glove.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I'm not one to get too crazy about line ups, but the one yesterday was nearly criminal. The one today was better, but not by much. Narron was relatively consistant the first week or two.
    Team scored, what? 5 runs total this weekend? But for a 2-out solo shot, they would've been swept by the Phillies.

Tough to score runs with any lineup that looks like this:

1. Freel
    2. Dunn
    3. Phillips
    4. Hamilton
    5. Hatteberg/Conine
    6. Dead Out at 3B
    7. Dead Out at SS
    8. Dead Out at C
    9. Dead Out at P

Also, is it just me, or does Ryan Freel seem to come up a ton with 2 outs? I think every one of his ABs, save for the leadoff one, were with 2 men out.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I hate to say it but if we continue to play like this I wouldn't be opposed to a firesale at the trade deadline this year with anyone and everyone on the big league club available (this of course would not include Hamilton). It seems like many of us wouldn't mind having a new team to cheer for. At least that way we could have a new team while still cheering for the Reds.
    Read my previous post. I wasn't proposing a fire sale in April instead I was just suggesting that if we continue like this I wouldn't be opposed to one in July. I know its early and this team could turn it around and I hope they do. I've just reached a point of frustration where my emotional attachment to these players is such that I wouldn't hate to see new players in Reds uniforms toward the end of the year. Fresh faces wouldn't be all that bad; that is provided they are good.

Turn Off Ads?