Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jose Reyes

Re: Jose Reyes

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I remember several folks saying he'd never OBP over 300.
    He was also injury prone -- particularly his hamstrings -- and there was some who thought he'd never stay healthy. In fact, I remember when the coaching staff was working with him to change his running style so that he wouldn't pull his hamstrings.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    If there was one guy that I would love to see in a reds jersey it would be Jose Reyes.This guy can do it all and completly is underrated!!!
    I want him to be a Red so WE can chant "Joseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Jose, Jose, Jose...." at the games!

David Wright is my favoritistist non Red.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    My point is this -- out of many thousands of aspiring amateur baseball players, there is good reason for the guys at the very top to be there.
    Well, I suppose if you constantly bet on every horse in the race you can claim to right even if your wallet's bleeding.

Reyes burst onto the scene in 2001. Shortstops on the BA top 100 heading into that season were Antonio Perez, Alfonso Soriano, Wilson Betemit, Jimmy Rollins, Felipe Lopez, D'Angelo Jiminez, Alex Cintron, Luis Montanez, David Espinosa, Miguel Cabrera, Juan Uriba and Ramon Santiago. That list is mad with Reds flavor. No Reyes, who had debuted in the NY-Penn League the previous season. Even after he debuted on the top 100 he was still ranked behind Betemit, Angel Berroa (as bad a player as has ever played the game) and Brandon Phillips. It wasn't until he'd caused widespread panic in AA that he cracked the top 10. So the scouts were hardly early on him.

Guys at the very top of the list tend to get there by playing well in full season ball. Yet why did Reyes make it and Betemit, who had a better pedigree, didn't? Maybe the Mets just know what they're doing. That would explain why David Wright is an All-Star and Andy Marte's struggling to break into the majors. Though the classic SS why for the scouts would be why Alex Rodriguez and not Alex Gonzalez (not the one who now plays for the Reds)? Those two guys were top 10 prospects in '94 and '95 with Gonzalez actually ranking ahead of A-Rod in '94.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

3 of those guys listed had age problems --so that has something to do with folks being a little off.

You have to wonder if it was there even more than we know (ages being off). Was a A-Gon a foreigner? Was/is his age a problem?

Btw, i remember Bill James touting the heck out of Junior Felix and then the next year taking it all back because his age was off by 2 years. I go back and read all of James old stuff now and then. It still is interesting 15 years later.

I also remember several posters here hating on Alphonso Soriano and how JimBo was dumb for trading Brad Wilkerson for him.

I just like Reyes' music when he comes up to bat.

It's like a party!
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, I suppose if you constantly bet on every horse in the race you can claim to right even if your wallet's bleeding.

Reyes burst onto the scene in 2001. Shortstops on the BA top 100 heading into that season were Antonio Perez, Alfonso Soriano, Wilson Betemit, Jimmy Rollins, Felipe Lopez, D'Angelo Jiminez, Alex Cintron, Luis Montanez, David Espinosa, Miguel Cabrera, Juan Uriba and Ramon Santiago. That list is mad with Reds flavor. No Reyes, who had debuted in the NY-Penn League the previous season. Even after he debuted on the top 100 he was still ranked behind Betemit, Angel Berroa (as bad a player as has ever played the game) and Brandon Phillips. It wasn't until he'd caused widespread panic in AA that he cracked the top 10. So the scouts were hardly early on him.

Guys at the very top of the list tend to get there by playing well in full season ball. Yet why did Reyes make it and Betemit, who had a better pedigree, didn't? Maybe the Mets just know what they're doing. That would explain why David Wright is an All-Star and Andy Marte's struggling to break into the majors. Though the classic SS why for the scouts would be why Alex Rodriguez and not Alex Gonzalez (not the one who now plays for the Reds)? Those two guys were top 10 prospects in '94 and '95 with Gonzalez actually ranking ahead of A-Rod in '94.
    Back then, I was too young and naive to know what a prospect was, so that list fascinates me.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Turn Off Ads?