Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reds Trading Pieces

Re: Reds Trading Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yeah, but the reason teams can carry good glove mediocre bats at Catcher, SS and 2B is because they have the game changing studs at 1B to make up for it. The Reds are trying to make the transition from offensive players like Griffey and Lopez up the middle to lower level offensive guys like Gonzalez and Freel (and yes compared to Griffey its a huge downgrade on offense). They are doing this without the compensating run producer manning 1B. .
    Transition....might be the key word here.

Transitions take time. No, I'm not saying he has 15 years to get it done, but you can't just retool an orgination that has been in rot for years quickly. The players you want might not be available at the time you want them, you might have contracts on your team that last longer than you like, trades or FA's acquired might not play to the level you expect them to, etc etc. That doesn't even include working with the players you inherrited who might not play the game in the style that fits your new direction.

I'm not saying Wanye's been prefect in all his moves (he hasn't), or we should all shut up for the next 4 years (we shouldn't) until some magical time limit has passed, but at the same time, retooling an organzatonal mindset (hit lots of homers and forget about actually catching a ball or pitching) doesn't just happen over night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think one of the biggest problems with this organization is that the MLB club needs an overhaul. They are too left handed heavy in the hitting order. They need a lot of production from Dunn and Jr. in order to stay competitive. And their only prospect that is close to being ready is another lefty. The problem with most of the reds top trading pieces is that they are the people who you are going to build your club around. They dont have the luxery of having an all star at one position while having a prospect waiting in the wings at AAA who could be used as trade bait. Their bull pen has a bunch of veterans who are signed to MLB contracts that are blocking the way of some promising younger players who could greatly benefit from a spot on the big league roster. Their starting rotation is their only position of depth that the reds have. Lohse is the only pitcher that I could see the reds trading but I also think that they will look to sign him before they trade him. My top trading options that the reds would consider moving are

Griffey
    Dunn
    Lohse

The problems I forsee are, can the reds afford to trade Griffey and take a attendance hit. When healthy he still has some pop left in his bat and hopefully can become a more productive player playing out in right. I dont see Dunn being moved because of his production. Also he has a very reasonable option for a starting outfielder for next year. Just look at the contracts that were shelled out to the likes of Mathews jr. and Pierre. Lohse could be moved but with the premium placed on starting pitching I forsee the reds trying to sign him before the trading deadline comes.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If we need RH bats so badly, why trade our best one (EE) when his value is lowest?
    Because EdE is in the doghouse.. That's why I think he's got a good chance of being traded.

The same logic pushed Kearns and Lopez out the door.

I could seriously see Edwin get traded for some pitching and the other teams inferior 3b..

I don't agree with trading EdE.. I agree with you, he should be kept. I think Wayne will at least shop him around though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?