Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do we take either of these guys at #15?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Do we take either of these guys at #15?

I like Grandal - he's been on my radar for a while now- but like M2 said I think he's more of a supplemental round type of guy.

There are some really interesting HS bats that might be available around 15 that I hope the Reds give some consideration to.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would like to see us draft a position player-not another pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I would like to see us draft a position player-not another pitcher.
    The last two seasons we have taken outfielders with our #1 picks. If a pitcher is on the board as our #1 then we better take him. I have a few guys I would like to see come our way, but its still early to be projecting who is going where in the middle of the round.

When is the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    LaPorta, eh? Power is a pretty rare commodity. Safe pick, like Stubbs was. I could see it....
    Stubbs way anything but a safe pick. College guys with a questionable stick are high risk. If you are going to draft a college 1B/OF in the first round, he had better be able to rake.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Stubbs way anything but a safe pick. College guys with a questionable stick are high risk. If you are going to draft a college 1B/OF in the first round, he had better be able to rake.
    I'll disagree. Stubbs comes with outstanding "prospect pedigree" (he's been highly regarded since he was a high schooler) and a record of success at one of the top college programs in the country. His defensive skill in CF will play at the major league level, and that, along with his speed, power, and plate discipline should be enough to make him useful after a few years of development. Say what you want, but I think that, given his skill set, there's very little chance his inability to make consistent contact will keep him out of the major leagues.

Keep in mind he's been battling turf toe for most of his time in pro ball -- it is not an insignificant injury.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I'm still unsure of what the Reds have in Tatum, Anthony Esquer and Eddy Rodriguez. Most likely, not a lot. I don't think Perez will ever hit. This is supposed to be a good year for catchers -- with both Grandal and a few college guys -- so I'm hoping the Reds snag more than 1 in the top 10 rounds, and preferably 1 in the top 2 rounds. Usually, I don't feel that way. But these are desperate times behind the plate.
    Tatum seems to be taking his time getting up the ladder, although he has at least flashed some throwing and power ability.

Esquer has quite the line-drive bat, but I have no knowledge of his defensive skills. It remains to be seen if he'll hit a wall a la Miguel Perez (who got everyone excited by hitting .335 at Billings, then did little with the bat afterwards) or not.

Rodriguez seems to be defense-first.

It is true that with few exceptions catchers are the riskiest high picks and usually the most stealthy of prospects. I'd say more catchers "come out of nowhere" to establish themselves in the majors than any other type of player. There are always blue-chippers like Mauer, but for every one of him there are several Russell Martins, Mike Piazzas, and David Rosses.

I'll disagree. Stubbs comes with outstanding "prospect pedigree" (he's been highly regarded since he was a high schooler) and a record of success at one of the top college programs in the country. .
    mainly because he is simply a great athlete. His ability to hit a baseball has always been questioned.

from the Baseball Think Factory

#8 - Cincinnati Reds - CF Drew Stubbs
    Crap swing. I reviewed his video more closely and discovered that his hands and his torso disconnect severely. In other words, his torso/hips/legs don’t really help him much in getting the bat moving towards the ball. When so much of the review is based on swing mechanics, it is easy to overlook the other parts of his game. OK, he looks like he’s a good athlete, so there’s hope. That said, I don’t like this pick here, not this high.
    For a guy like Stubbs there will eventually come the time when he can no longer be successful based solely on athletic ability. "A" ball may be that level(or maybe it was the Pioneer League).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    When is the draft?
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/important_dates.jsp

June 7-8

Turn Off Ads?