Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Banks project to be open by end of 2009

Re: Banks project to be open by end of 2009

It still aint built yet...so there's plenty of time for this deal to fall apart too.

But that negative outlook aside, it's cool to see they've made a big step foward towards getting something done down there. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but glad to see BCast could get things done where others have failed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

With the revitalization of downtown mainly in the Fountain Square area and upcoming projects like the Banks and streetcars, it really is an exciting time to be living in Cincinnati. I can really feel a new energy that I haven't felt in a long time downtown and it seems like leaders are finally seizing this momentum...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    With the revitalization of downtown mainly in the Fountain Square area and upcoming projects like the Banks and streetcars, it really is an exciting time to be living in Cincinnati. I can really feel a new energy that I haven't felt in a long time downtown and it seems like leaders are finally seizing this momentum...
    I really hope they continue this momentum. The only way it will continue however is if it shows in the taxes. If all these new improvments don't help then they will be hesitant to do more.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Where's our resident naysayer, Mr. Krono?? (I'll admit to being quite skeptical as well!)
    Dude, lot of posters in this thread have been a lot more negative then me.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Dude, lot of posters in this thread have been a lot more negative then me.
    I know. I was one of them. I just remembered me and you for some reason.

Although after going back and reading the thread, you ARE the only one who offered to eat an article of clothing (hat).

I don't wear hats anymore, I'm safe

Most of my negaitivy comes from buffoons over on UrbanOhio who hope the banks crushes all development on the Kentucky side and turns it into a big parking lot for downtown.

Jerks.
    Go Gators!

Most of my negaitivy comes from buffoons over on UrbanOhio who hope the banks crushes all development on the Kentucky side and turns it into a big parking lot for downtown.

Jerks.
    I'm with you there.

Don't think there's much chance of that happening at this point.

The infrastructure of the Kentucky side of the Ohio is too solid, firmly entrenched, and organized.

Don't forget to vote, kids!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Jerks.
    Krono, you sure are sensitive about NKY.

While I dont like to condone any of the ridiculous cross-river rivalry unless it is sports team related (UC vs UK/UL) I would posit that if there were an urbanKY forum they would be stating the same things about the mudpit in Ohio. I think most of what you perceive as negativity, though, is a gut reaction to the suburban naysayers for the last 10 years who claim NKY is light years better than anything the Banks could ever offer. It is not so much against NKY, but the people who go there and refuse to see potential on Cincinnati's side. There is room for both developments to coexist, and hopefully make a stronger fabric together.

That much being said, I would absolutely be disappointed if Newport on the Levee was repeated on the northern banks of the Ohio. While it may somewhat currently work as an entertainment district, it fails in so many other senses (how it addresses the river, urbanistically, diversity of use, even as a retail environment). Also, the wall of condo towers popping up along the south side of the Ohio are basically vertical suburbs. Some may say any development is better than nothing, we shall see if that is the case in 5-10 years. (Although I will give NOTL one thing, it is adapting: almost the entire failed top floor retail space is being converted to office space)

UrbanOhio, as the namesake implies, is about promoting urban environments in Ohio. With such an agenda and the opposition they have met, you should not be surprised to read such things over there. That much being said I very much doubt, though, that anyone over there genuinely "hope the banks crushes all development on the Kentucky side and turns it into a big parking lot for downtown."

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    Krono, you sure are sensitive about NKY.
    Not really, I just find it hilarious that that a "rivalry" is brought up at all, if the state line were 20 miles to the south 98% of it wouldn't exist, a lot of it comes across as "well we're north of the river and we're more sophisticated" Please..Northern Kentucky IS part of suburban Cincinnati, same type of people and all
    Go Gators!

Jerks.
    Krono, I think you are doing a little selective reading of that site over there. I too am a frequent visitor to UrbanOhio. Most of the folks on that site have a lot of high praise for most parts of Northern Kentucky such as Covington and other parts of Newport. They don't particularly like Newport on the Levee as much because of its "suburban mall feel". I also think most of them are little bitter because of the suburbanites who think you need a bullet proof vest to walk in downtown Cincinnati and NOTL is the only safe place to go...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

By the time they get that done the Reds will be playing in their new West Chester ballpark.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    By the time they get that done the Reds will be playing in their new West Chester ballpark.
    These things don't spring up over night. They are completing the project in phases. The plan right now is to have people living and eating at the Banks by the end of 2009, which might be a little optimistic but nonetheless I hope GABP isn't obsolete by then. From what I've read the whole project won't be completely finished until around 2017.

And from the way West Chester is building, they won't have a single acre available for construction in a few years...
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Nah, they will be in Dayton, The Cincinnati Reds of Dayton

Actually I do wonder if in 25 years Cincinnati will be an attractive MLB market, assuming baseball doesn't expand in that time period quite a few metro areas project to be bigger then Cincy by then.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?