Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: APB: Edwin Encarnacion

APB: Edwin Encarnacion

Let me preface this with the statement that I've only seen about 3 innings of Reds baseball (ST and regular season combined) so far in 2007.

First of all, is the guy in this picture really Edwin Encarnacion?

Second, and more importantly, what in the world is going on with EE at the plate? 58 ABs so far this year, and he has 1 XBH? .190 / .277 / .207?

That's a .484 OPS for someone who plays a corner position.

To give you a reference point, Juan Castro's career numbers in 2,100+ career ABs are .231 / .271 / .338

Is EE batting blindfolded? Is he wearing ice skates in the batters box? Is he swinging with a 72 ounce bat?

Point to Griffey, Dunn, etc. But if EE can't even put up Juan Castro numbers at the plate, it's gonna be a horrific season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: APB: Edwin Encarnacion

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Let me preface this with the statement that I've only seen about 3 innings of Reds baseball (ST and regular season combined) so far in 2007.

First of all, is the guy in this picture really Edwin Encarnacion?

Second, and more importantly, what in the world is going on with EE at the plate? 58 ABs so far this year, and he has 1 XBH? .190 / .277 / .207?

That's a .484 OPS for someone who plays a corner position.

To give you a reference point, Juan Castro's career numbers in 2,100+ career ABs are .231 / .271 / .338

Is EE batting blindfolded? Is he wearing ice skates in the batters box? Is he swinging with a 72 ounce bat?

Point to Griffey, Dunn, etc. But if EE can't even put up Juan Castro numbers at the plate, it's gonna be a horrific season.
    He's looked much better at the plate in the last two games. I think getting moved down in the order a little bit has taken some of the pressure off of him. I say let him hit low in the order for a little while longer, get some confidence back and he'll be just fine and be the player we expected him to be this season.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

That's Eddie Guardado
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It's the Guardado curse. EE will not start hitting until El Gordo is activated.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Hey wait! Maybe since they showed Everyday Eddie's picture in Arizona (and now ESPN's picking it up), EE's hitting like he's a pitcher. And not just any pitcher, a relief pitcher! Yikes, we need to get his puss up on those places so he can start hitting like a real player!

I've mentioned this in other places, I have been impressed with (gulp!) Jerry Narron when it has come to EdE. He runs him out there everyday no matter what.

In past years, I think Narron would not have been so kind.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Didn't Edwin play all winter? Players get fatigued. You can see that he is late on pitches he should kill, fouling them off or hitting weak fly balls to right-center and right. He's not quick enough to get on top of pitches right now. I'm not suggesting he needs to take signifigant time off, but a day here and there might rejuvinate him a little. Not to put too much pressure on him, but he is the best right handed hitter in the lineup and the Reds are going to struggle against lefties until he gets going. If he's not tearing the cover off the ball by mid-May, I'll be shocked.

I don't think there is a reason to get too worried about EE... slow starts to seasons happen all of the time.

I think it should be pointed out though, Reds fans might be expecting more from his future than they should. EE's value (and the same thing holds for Votto) is that he projects to be roughly a league average thirdbaseman over his control years. So the Reds are getting good production for cheap.

EE is never going to be a Wright or Cabrera with the bat nor is he ever going to be a Beltre with the leather. He's basically going to be a relatively cheap checkmark.

This isn't a negative assessment. I'm stoked about a league average infield consisting of EE, Votto and Phillips (all three costing less than $1.5M in total for the next several years).
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I have to say that Narron is better than a lot of people give him credit. Often his boneheaded moves are later found out to have reasons behind them such as the Arroyo move last week when he asked to be removed. I don't think he is a Leyland or a Sparky but he is much better than many managers. I don't think we can expect him to bring that extra something that great ones bring but he can under the right circumstances get us to the playoffs.

As far as the topic at hand... I think Edwin has looked much better the last few days and is about to explode.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

If I worked at my career in, say, the Dominican, and was surrounded by people who didn't speak English well, and maybe my Spanish wasn't all that wonderful, I think my job performance might be occasionally pretty sketchy. Which is a convoluted way of saying that I think Edwin at this moment needs a support system that may not exist for Latino players in the Reds organization. I wish they had a Latino coach; failing that I wish there was a player who could fill a mentoring role for EE. Can Castro be that guy? I don't know, but my perception is that Edwin could use someone like that right now.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

58 ABs so far this year
    There's your answer. While it is painful to watch on a daily basis, it is a modest slump.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    It's the Guardado curse. EE will not start hitting until El Gordo is activated.
    Well then we are set for 2008
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    If I worked at my career in, say, the Dominican, and was surrounded by people who didn't speak English well, and maybe my Spanish wasn't all that wonderful, I think my job performance might be occasionally pretty sketchy. Which is a convoluted way of saying that I think Edwin at this moment needs a support system that may not exist for Latino players in the Reds organization. I wish they had a Latino coach; failing that I wish there was a player who could fill a mentoring role for EE. Can Castro be that guy? I don't know, but my perception is that Edwin could use someone like that right now.
    I firmly believe that Juan Castro will be a coach in the Reds organization when his playing career is over. It might be at the major-league level, but I think it will more likely be in the low minors--his leadership among young Hispanic players would be invaluable somewhere like Billings, MT.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Juan Castro (Mexico), Javier Valentin (Puerto Rico), Victor Santos (Dominican), Alex Gonzalez (Venezuela). I'm sure you have a point, but I fail to see it. He seems to have a pretty large "latino" influence just on the 25 man roster. I think the Reds need to quit worrying about it and just let him play. He'll figure it out, he has for his entire life. This kid has been hitting baseballs better than most people for a long, long time. He'll be fine.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

What the Reds don't have are kick'em in the rear personalities.

Sometimes, those are nice to have.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?