Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Pet Peeves :P

Porkchop Sandwiches

Internet Pet Peeves :P

Not to take a "holier than thou" approach, but this really rubs me the wrong way:

1. Ridiculous, not Rediculous

Yours?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Internet Pet Peeves :P

People pointing out my spelling errors.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The list in this thread captures many of mine.
    /r/reds

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

LOL

Nobody really "laughs" out loud. They should just have L for laugh.

Chain mail!

People sending me email telling me to forward it to 10 other people or the world will come to an end.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I sometimes laugh out loud ..... and pee a little bit. Hey! I'm old.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Chain mail!

People sending me email telling me to forward it to 10 other people or the world will come to an end.
    Totally...there should be a Snopes.com filter built into virus scanners.

-A national gas fillup day doesnt do anything (in fact, hurts the local owner)
    -No emails can be tracked back to you to get you a certificate to buy Gap jeans or free Vista OS
    -No, thats not a pitcure of (insert latest hurricane here) approaching...its various thunderheads from the plains.
    -I know washington is full of crooks, but the email about all those crimes is not real...

etc etc etc

I'm calling for a moratorium on "not so much", "X say hi", "loves me some X" and "threw up in my mouth a little".

{{{{{{{{{ Hug }}}}}}}}}}}

I don't want to hug you. I don't know you!

I enjoy LOLCats, but I know they'll have a short shelf-life and I will find them annoying soon enough. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the spin the cartoonist Ape Lad has put on it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apelad/...7600296941365/
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

At some point everything on the internet has bugged me. But what really bugs me is how few really well-written non-fiction BOOKS are being written by very smart folks with a lot of stuff to say. I know I sound like a grandpa, but good lord, is it too much to ask that when writing a work of non-fiction, you make the work about the SUBJECT instead of YOURSELF? Man, that's the worst. I don't care about you; I care about your subject.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

things like this:

[http://www.imageshack.hilarity.37645...me.cuddly.jpg][insert]

don't make me ivestigate, copy and paste, it's not worth it.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    At some point everything on the internet has bugged me. But what really bugs me is how few really well-written non-fiction BOOKS are being written by very smart folks with a lot of stuff to say. I know I sound like a grandpa, but good lord, is it too much to ask that when writing a work of non-fiction, you make the work about the SUBJECT instead of YOURSELF? Man, that's the worst. I don't care about you; I care about your subject.
    Por ejemplo

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Por ejemplo
    I'll try not to derail the thread, but here are my examples, recent ones: The Black Swan: the Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nasim Taleb; Saxons, Vikings, and Celts by Brian Sykes.

Interesting subjects if you can avoid the constantly-intruding narrator.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

People who loudly and publicly proclaim that they are leaving a website because (insert reason here).
    Ironically, most return (sometimes under a clone) - however, they have achieved their original intent in getting attention.

Turn Off Ads?