Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs?

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: NBA Playoffs?

LeBron played a game of 1 on 5 for about 15 straight minutes... and won.

Easily one of the best individual performances I've seen in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Amazing.

Beyond belief.

Worth The Wait

Already one of my top 5 all-time sports-fan moments.

It was a joy to watch.

LeBron James' performance tonight in the 4th quarter and both overtimes was ridiculous. That's easily the best individual basketball performance I've seen since Michael Jordan's memorable playoff games.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Wow, that was amazing. 25 straight points to end the game against the Pistons, there's really no way to describe how good that is. It's been a long time since I've witnessed such a clutch performance. It reminded me a little of Reggie Miller's performance against the Knicks in Madison Square Garden in the playoffs. Obviously Lebron's was much more dominant but in terms of clutch factor they had a similar feel.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

How LeBron made that winning layup in the 2nd OT was just ridiculous. It wasn't like there was much doubt as to who was going to take the shot. Still, he whips around his defender, splits 2-3 others, jackknifes, and makes it. Just amazing.

That was one of the more remarkable performances I've seen in a long time. I was splitting time between the Reds game and this game. I guess I'm a little glad the Reds got whipped so I could watch more of this game.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Tirico's comment on ESPN radio: "He's dunking like it's the 8th game of the season against the Grizzlies."

Best I can remember, and that includes Jordan.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I guess that game last night shut up Lebron's critics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I guess that game last night shut up Lebron's critics.
    No it won't. Nor should it. Sports is based on saying 'my guy is better than your guy.' Sometimes 'my guy' is just a guy on another team. Sometimes 'my guy' is a guy who played 40 years ago.

Jordan [my guy] is still better. And the NBA still sucks.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Unbelievable. LeBron took the leap last night. It was as if he was in another gear during the 4th and OT.

Witness

Worth The Wait

Joseph,

Here is my reply to your post:

Hubie Brown, who I respect very much, said it best... he said he had "never" seen a performance quite like THAT-- he included MJ in the list.

In some people's eyes MJ is simply untouchable. Lebron or whoever could walk on water and people would still say no one can touch MJ.

And let me say this....I am NOT saying Lebron is at MJ's career level. I am NOT saying he already deserves the same accolades. But I do believe people kind of get lost in history.

A few points:

1. No one EVER talks about this, but MJ NEVER really faced a zone defense. During his prime years, zone defenses were strictly outlawed. You could not stack the floor against one man. The Pistons routinely throw four guys into Lebron's line of sight-- in MJ's day, that is illegal defense every time.

2. There is simply no doubt that Lebron is a better player at 22 than MJ was at 22. No doubt. The brilliance of MJ was that once he reached his peak, he was able to sustain it for so long. The fact that he was such a ruthless competitor still amazes me. But it took him some time to reach that level. He won his first title at 28. And he lost to Detroit three times in the playoffs before breaking through.

3. This isn't totally MJ's fault, but he did excel during a "transition" period in the NBA. He entered the league when the Celtics, Lakers, and then Pistons were some of the best teams ever. He never beat any of those teams at their peak-- not that he SHOULD have, but it's just the way the timing worked out. By the time MJ was MJ those teams were gone. The very best team the Bulls EVER beat in ANY round of the playoffs was probably the Jazz teams there at the end, when it was Stockton, Malone and the stiffs.

The East was pretty down during MJ's years, and the West rarely produced a great team-- it was generally a revolving door (Blazers, Sonics, Suns, etc... )

The Cavs have yet to beat a great team either. If the Cavs close-out this series, I'd consider it akin to when the Bulls finally beat the Pistons. Caught them when they were still very good, but fading.

However, the Spurs are a different story. This Spurs team is HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than any team the Bulls ever beat-- especially with the newer rules. If this years Cavs could play the 1992 Blazers or the 1996 Sonics, I'd like their chances.

So, I am NOT proclaiming LBJ to be the equal to MJ. He certainly has a lot of rings to earn before we can really start this discussion. But I do believe people tend to view the MJ era with a bit of revisionist history.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    No it won't. Nor should it. Sports is based on saying 'my guy is better than your guy.' Sometimes 'my guy' is just a guy on another team. Sometimes 'my guy' is a guy who played 40 years ago.

Jordan [my guy] is still better. And the NBA still sucks.

I don't think anyone is saying that LeBron is the greatest of all time; just thta he has been criticized for not making the big shot and not being able to carry a team on his back and for making the pass instead of shooting in Game 1. Last night's performance should shut a lot of those people up.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

What was most amazing to me about LeBron's game last night was how he was taking all of these HORRIBLE shots and netting EVERY SINGLE ONE!

He's not a great three point shooter by any means, but he was clearly in one of those 'zones' where players describe the basket as being so big they can't help but throw it in.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    A few points:
    1. No one EVER talks about this, but MJ NEVER really faced a zone defense. During his prime years, zone defenses were strictly outlawed. You could not stack the floor against one man. The Pistons routinely throw four guys into Lebron's line of sight-- in MJ's day, that is illegal defense every time.
    I'm really glad you brought this up, because that's something that I've never even thought of. I take for granted the rule changes over time a lot, and this is a GREAT point.

Turn Off Ads?