Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs?

Re: NBA Playoffs?

Something that hasn't been brought up yet is Chris Webber's performance last night. Looked like a young man out there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can respect that view on things Edskin, but to counter I would suggest this.

Everyone wants to also say "I was there when...". Lots of people who weren't there when it was Jordan, or Magic, or Wilt, or Russel, can say they were there when LeBron did his thing. It's a mentality of 'now is better than then' because I saw it in person [or on tv].

I totally understand that there is also a mentality of all the old ones are better than the new ones too. Babe Ruth was better than Maris even when Maris broke the record. Hell Babe was better than Aaron even when Aaron broke 714. Aaron was number 3 on the career hits list and number one on the home run list for a long time, yet people are still not willing to give him his due.

I don't want to take away from LeBron, I really don't. maybe I am guilty of old is better than new syndrome even, but the last segment of my first post still applies in my mind. I don't like the NBA and I'm frankly tired of hearing radio personalities and TV personalities telling me I am and I quote "stupid for not watching."

The NBA bores me. I'll tune in to a couple games a season for the Bulls, but it's mostly just trying to recreate a magic that existed for me in the 90's that I frankly ain't gonna get back. LeBron surely doesn't deserve the negativity he's subject too, but I'm not gonna feel sorry for a guy who has all the things he has.

Anyway, maybe LeBron is better. But maybe just maybe he's not and everyone just wants him to be better so they can say, "I was there when..."

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    3. This isn't totally MJ's fault, but he did excel during a "transition" period in the NBA. He entered the league when the Celtics, Lakers, and then Pistons were some of the best teams ever. He never beat any of those teams at their peak-- not that he SHOULD have, but it's just the way the timing worked out. By the time MJ was MJ those teams were gone. The very best team the Bulls EVER beat in ANY round of the playoffs was probably the Jazz teams there at the end, when it was Stockton, Malone and the stiffs.
    I was/still am a Jazz fan, and the thing about those two Jazz teams is they were the two Jazz teams who actually were more than Stockton, Malone and the stiffs. Jeff Hornacek and Bryon Russell gave them added weapons beyond just Stockton and Malone, and their other bench/role players were a bit better than the stuff they had in the early to mid 90s. Hornacek was a lights out shooter and Russell was a heckuva defensive player ... well, except when he slipped on Jordan's game-winner

But the added quality depth the Jazz had beyond Stockton and Malone was what pushed them well over 60 wins and eventually into the Finals where they just became another Jordan victim. IIRC, I think Jordan once said those two Jazz teams were the two best teams he ever faced.

I will say this about LeBron ... he's the best player in the NBA right now, IMO. And I don't think Kobe Bryant is anywhere close to LeBron either.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Worth The Wait

"stiffs" may have been harsh. But the supporting cast in Utah then were total role players. In contrast, the "great" teams like Boston in the 80s' had "supporting" players that were HOF worthy-- Parrish, Dennis Johnson, etc..

And as great as Stockton and Malone were:

Duncan + Parker + Ginobli > Malone + Stockton

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    "stiffs" may have been harsh. But the supporting cast in Utah then were total role players. In contrast, the "great" teams like Boston in the 80s' had "supporting" players that were HOF worthy-- Parrish, Dennis Johnson, etc..

And as great as Stockton and Malone were:

Duncan + Parker + Ginobli > Malone + Stockton
    Well right, the supporting cast in Utah were role players the entire time, and that's the biggest reason why they never won a championship. My earlier point though was that Utah's role players from 1996-1998 were a better grade than their role players from the early to mid 90s.

FWIW, if any two (not three, two) of those Spurs players you mentioned were given Utah's supporting cast, the Spurs probably wouldn't be winning any championships either. Duncan + Parker + Ginobli is an excellent trio, but take any one of those guys out of the equation, and the resulting duo isn't close to Stockton + Malone.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

If that 98 Jazz team was playing the 07 Spurs I'd give them an excellent chance to win a seven game series.

Michael Jordan is the only reason the Jazz didn't get AT LEAST one ring from that era.

I suspect what we're seeing is LeBron figuring out he can impose his will upon a game. This truly was a "climb on my back boys, I'm taking you home" moment. I'd seen flashes of it before, but never where he just took over in a critical game at a critical time.

In previous games, he still did funny things at crucial times (and I don't mean funny ha-ha). In his interviews lately, he keeps talking about being aggressive. I think, by nature, LeBron is a nice guy and wants to be nice to his teammates. I think he's saying the heck with that.

If he keeps this up, he can get up into the MJ/Bird/Magic/Big O uppper pantheon of stars. I don't put guys like Malone, Stockton, Duncan, etc. there. You gotta be a phenomenally talented, supremely skilled superstar with a competitive streak a mile wide and a taste for the jugular to get there.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Jeff Hornacek and Bryon Russell gave them added weapons beyond just Stockton and Malone, and their other bench/role players were a bit better than the stuff they had in the early to mid 90s.
    Like Tom Chambers, Mark Eaton, David Benoit and Felton Spencer???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Point to poinder: Through MJ's 4th season in the league, the Bulls had a 5-15 record in the playoffs, only making it out of the 1st round once. Granted, they did make the playoffs all 4 years, while the Cavs missed the first two years of James' career.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Detroit coming apart at the seams.

2 quick Ts for Rasheed Wallace. Ejection and suspension for game 7 should it occur.

Cleveland up 69-83 with 7:36 remaining.

Witness.

Daniel Gibson is all grows'd up.

Gibson is on FIYAH.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    2 quick Ts for Rasheed Wallace. Ejection and suspension for game 7 should it occur.
    That's a shame. He's such a class act...

Finish it off, boys!

Definitely my least favorite player in the NBA.

Just a complete, total punk.

Turn Off Ads?