Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: NBA Playoffs?

Worth The Wait

Re: NBA Playoffs?

Yachtzee- I hope you don't with the college game because you like jump shooting?

I watch a ton of college hoops, and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a guy hit an actual jump shot. College ball is all about two things now-- larger teams pounding the glass and beating you up, and everyone launching three's.

I have season tickets to OU hoops and I'm not exxagerating when I say we'd go entire games without attempting ONE mid-range jump shot. No one knows how to shoot it anymore.

As a Cavs fan, I can admit that they did very little (nothing really) in this series to capture the casual fan. If I was "checking in" to see the NBA, I too, probably would not have been impressed. The Cavs supporting cast did a pretty nice job in the playoffs of working off of Lebron and making shots-- but they went stone cold in the Finals. A guy Illgauskas, who is normally a very good mid-range shooter, all of a sudden couldn't throw it in the ocean.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Yachtzee- I hope you don't with the college game because you like jump shooting?

I watch a ton of college hoops, and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a guy hit an actual jump shot. College ball is all about two things now-- larger teams pounding the glass and beating you up, and everyone launching three's.

I have season tickets to OU hoops and I'm not exxagerating when I say we'd go entire games without attempting ONE mid-range jump shot. No one knows how to shoot it anymore.

As a Cavs fan, I can admit that they did very little (nothing really) in this series to capture the casual fan. If I was "checking in" to see the NBA, I too, probably would not have been impressed. The Cavs supporting cast did a pretty nice job in the playoffs of working off of Lebron and making shots-- but they went stone cold in the Finals. A guy Illgauskas, who is normally a very good mid-range shooter, all of a sudden couldn't throw it in the ocean.
    I usually stick to smaller conference college games, like the MAC, when I watch basketball. Maybe the guys don't have as much talent as the big conferences, but it just seems more fun to watch. I used to follow basketball more when Clark Kellogg played for the Buckeyes and the Cavs played at the Richfield Coliseum (about 20 minutes from my house when it still existed). Maybe my memory is faulty as time passes, but it seems like back then guys could hit shots from just about anywhere. If a guy had an open shot, it went in more often than not. Now it seems like it's the opposite. It's sad, because my favorite thing about basketball was watching guys just shoot "lights-out," with every shot ending in a swish. As kids we used to strive to hit a clean swish on every shot.

I've seen Z play. He makes me think of the guy in the VW ads. I keep waiting for him to say, "It's time to ahnpimp ze owtoh."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I didn't watch the whole series, so maybe I just caught it at bad times, but I think I'll stick with the college game.
    This series, especially games 3 and 4, wasn't a shining example of the NBA's product, at least from an offensive standpoint. Both teams missed far too many open shots.

There were stretches of excellent defense and solid defensive rebounding on both ends of the court. That's not what highlight reels are made of, though.

My favorite series in the Spurs run was Round 2 vs. Phoenix.
    /r/reds

as the national media has lached onto, the cavs very well have been the worst team to ever be in the nba finals. outside of lebron, the cavs didnt have a legitimate guy to take a game over, at the current time. However, the Cavs have a very bright future, even with the horrible contracts of Marshall, Jones, Hughes, Snow, Newble. The King is 22, Boobie 21, Sasha 23, and Gooden 26, Andy 25, throw in this years 1st rouder Shannon Brown, 22, there is a very solid future for the team from Cleveland. I'd like to see a PG and a defensive C come in this off-season, I have heard rumblings from within about Larry Hughes being on the block, but I dont see much coming back for him. The Cavs will be a little better next year, but the real jump will come in 2008-09 when the contracts of Marshall, Jones and Snow will all be gone. Chicago will be the toughest other team in the East for the nest 5-10 years (Detroit is done) but Chi-town doesnt have a superstar player in the Choosen 1. Lebron will "rise up" and win multiple titles in Cleveland; if they can keep him here

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    OK... you made me do it.

That definitely doesn't violate the "No Hot Chick Pics on RZ" dictate!! Amazing what a couple kilos of make-up can accomplish.

LeBron has not played in his last NBA Championship series. Coming out of the East raises the percentages of multiple NBA Finals appearances significantly in LeBron's favor.

I really wish they could have gotten Michael Redd instead of Larry Hughes. Redd would be the perfect complimentary player to LeBron James. Hughes is simply not a good jump shooter. LeBron draws so much attention, players that can spread the floor and consistently drain open shots are who Danny Ferry should be targeting moving forward. That's a big reason why Daniel Gibson found such quick success (not discounting the fact that he's a very good player with great potential).

No one looks GREAT all the time... besides I don't see how that picture portrays her as being UGLY

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    No one looks GREAT all the time
    How many times have you said that to your girlfriend, TS?

You're still alive, so I'll guess zero.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    No one looks GREAT all the time... besides I don't see how that picture portrays her as being UGLY
    I don't think it makes her look ugly, just like a completely different person.

I'll give you that, I guess.

Just a pet peeve of mine that people put down celebs for looks simply because they are a celeb. If Eva was the girl next door, and one day came outside w/o make up, no one in this world would curl their nose.

Back to the NBA though, how would the Cavs like a Larry Hughes for Troy Murphy and Jamaal Tinsley deal? All three have horrible contracts. Hughes seems to always be hurt and makes more than Murphy & Tinsley, however Murphy & Tinsleys deals are a year longer. They get two good offensive players for one who rarely gets to play. I think I would be willing to swap the Tin man with Mike Dunleavy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Eva's a good egg. Eva's mother lives here in town and I know someone who knows her mother. Eva takes good care of her mother.

Headline on the front page of today's local paper: "We, Alone, Love the Spurs."
    Sub-headline: "So does it really matter that not many outside South Texas care?"

Victory parade on the Riverwalk is tonight. In 2005, an estimated 500,000 were in attendance for the parade. I think I'll watch it on TV.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?