Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: NBA Playoffs?

Spurs had a nice win tonight over Phoenix. If Manu Ginobili continues to play like this, I predict this series will be over in 5.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I know Warrior fans that have been holding out for 30 years now, I remember the Chris Washburn years and earlier. Needless to say my friends are on cloud nine today.
    I've lived in SF since 94 and haven't seen a play-off game til this year. We're lovin it here, even as we say good night to the Sharks.

The Jazz defeated in the Warriors in Game 5 to win the series and advance to the Western Conference Finals. I'm excited to see Utah in the conference finals, but they'll have their hands full no matter who comes out of that Spurs/Suns series.

Here's a very telling stat about the Jazz/Warriors series ...

Utah had a 269-171 rebounding edge on Golden State over the five game series. That's almost 20 rebounds per game on average. Carlos Boozer alone had 70 rebounds in the series, an average of 14 per game.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Utah has really surprised me. Their guard play has been excellent with Fisher, Williams, and Brown. And that Russian guy has been a defensive monster.

Jerry Sloan has done an excellent job coaching them. I'm really dating myself, but I remember seeing him play as a rookie in the mid-60's against the Royals down at the Garden.

The suspensions of Stoudemire and Diaw really stink. Bowen ought to get suspended for overall chippiness. And how Baron Davis didn't get suspended for leveling Fisher with a deliberate elbow is beyond me. The NBA has been very uneven with their punishments.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The NBA really needs to change that stupid rule - bring it up to date. Just stepping on the court gets you suspended, just mind numblingly stupid.

And Horry was clearly, clearly, clearly in the wrong. Nash is the Suns smallest and best player. To have him get hit like that and not have his teammates come to his defense in some form is asking people to go against every instinct known to man.

If that had been Kurt Thomas doing that to Tony Parker you can damn sure bet Duncan and Bowen would have taken one step onto the court.

But the Spurs are a cheap team - I never noticed it til now. They hold, they take cheap shots when possible, Bowen is out to inflict pain, they complain about every call yet they attempt to make the game as physical as possible.

Oh well, I was just getting back into basketball and this happens and now I'll probably leave again. Will be interested in what the Sports Guy has to say about all this.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    But the Spurs are a cheap team - I never noticed it til now. They hold, they take cheap shots when possible, Bowen is out to inflict pain, they complain about every call yet they attempt to make the game as physical as possible.
    Isiah Thomas called out Bowen early this season, but because it's Isiah (who doesn't have the best rep right now) everyone ignored it.

As for the rule...I still remember 1997 when Ewing taking two steps off the bench about 90 feet away from the Heat-Knicks fight on the other side of the court. He got suspended...I have no pity for anyone else who breaks that stupid rule.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Isiah Thomas called out Bowen early this season, but because it's Isiah (who doesn't have the best rep right now) everyone ignored it.

As for the rule...I still remember 1997 when Ewing taking two steps off the bench about 90 feet away from the Heat-Knicks fight on the other side of the court. He got suspended...I have no pity for anyone else who breaks that stupid rule.
    Yup, as a Knick fan that series killed me. That was probably the best Knick team since 73 and one of their best chances to win it all. I don't know if the Knicks could have gotten by the Bulls and Jordan, but it would have been one great series.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I know the MVP is for the regular season, but in all honesty Dirk shouldn't even be considered ...
    Why?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Horry's hip-check is not typical of the Spurs play. There was a column in the paper today about how some local "fans" are now wishing for the team to lose this series because they're so appalled by the team's physical play.

Plus, there's this...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...unsspurs051507

In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it. Bowen then followed Duncan onto the floor, grabbed him and led him back to the bench. If the league does indeed follow the letter of the law, both Spurs players would also be suspended for Game 5.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Why?
    It should go to Steve Nash again, he's the MVP of the NBA. I would think that Kobe has a better argument for MVP than Dirk. Not that Dirk sucks, I like his game and he is a premier player in the league, but I just don't think he does for the Mavs anywhere near what Nash does for the Suns. Nash makes that team go, he makes his teammates better and he creates opportunities for himself and them.

Dirk doesn't create a whole lot for his teammates, he's a shooter, a great shooter but still just a shooter.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Yeah, the NBA reviewed it but, conspicously, did not suspend either player - saying that did not come to the standard of "altercation" so them leaving the bench is OK.

And the NBA wonders why its losing fans year after year. Its still the one sport where officiating impacts the outcomes of whole series. See Wade, DeWayne.

As for Horry's play, while not indicitive of him (and I think Horry is a good player and a "good" citizen) it is indicitve of Bowen, of Duncan and his crying, and Manu and his flops and grabs. So I think this is what the Spurs have become - maybe they didn't used to be a dirty team, but they are now, IMO
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

- - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Yeah, the NBA reviewed it but, conspicously, did not suspend either player - saying that did not come to the standard of "altercation" so them leaving the bench is OK.
    And that's ridiculous.

Basically, the NBA is telling us they have a rule that is subjectively concrete.

Thanks, Puffy. I didn't see that earlier today.

Perhaps they should change that rule to anyone who leaves the bench to participate in a fight will be suspended. Of course, I thought that was the rule already. I didn't think they were dumb enough to apply the rule to players who took a step onto the court but didn't fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

He doesn't like Bruce Bowen much, does he? Neither do I.

Nice soccer blasts as well.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?