Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Reds Brawls

WHOOOOOO!

Best Reds Brawls

I think we need a change of pace. Maybe by osmosis we can put some fight in this 2007 edition of the Reds. Please post your favorite brawls involving the Reds from the past. If possible post a link to video.

I'll start.

Pete Rose vs. Bud Harrelson 1973- Dustup at 2nd base almost causes a forfeit.

Eric Davis vs. Ray Knight- Meeting at 3rd base touches off a donnybrook with the feared 1986 Mets.
    If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.-Jimmy Buffett

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best Reds Brawls

August 5th, 1960 - The one-year anniversary of Martin getting beaned in the face as a Cleveland Indian by Senator pitcher Tex Clevenger’s fastball, Martin had seven facial bones broken, but declared it an accident and forgave Clevenger for the incident. On the anniversary the Reds are in Chicago playing the Cubs and the Senators are also in town to take on the White Sox in the evening.

Several of the Senator players visited the Reds clubhouse prior to the contest and engaged Billy Martin in a conversation, Billy felt that he was being crowded in the National League (The Dodgers in retaliation for a Roger Craig collision had beaned Vada Pinson three times since the incident causing the Reds to be somewhat on edge.) According Senator pitcher Hal Woodeshick Martin was “fed up with getting knocked on his ass every time up.” And then he swore, “Someone’s going to pay.”

On the mound that day for the Cubs was 22-year-old Jim Brewer, a rookie making his fourth start of his career. After walking Martin to lead off the game Brewer gave up 3 hits and allowed 2 runs. In the second inning he got two quick outs and Martin stepped to the plate. The first pitch was high and tight and Martin acted as if he had been struck in the helmet and took off for first, the ruse didn’t take and he was ordered back into the box. Brewer threw the 1-0 pitch and Martin took a half swing and his bat skittered out towards the mound landing ten feet to the right of the rubber.

Martin said it “Slipped” from there he walked out to the mound to retrieve his bat. In his hearing with Warren Giles he claimed that Brewer was “mouthing off and that if he had kept his mouth shut nothing would have happened. Brewer admitted he asked if Martin wanted to fight. Martin’s reply was “No, I’m out here to get my bat, kid.”

It was then that Martin attacked Brewer with a surprise right, fracturing his cheekbone and orbital, starting a general ruckus that featured an angry Brewer stalking the field with a broken bat in his hand.In the aftermath it was obvious the culture of the game was going to point to the pitcher vs. the hitter aspect of this fight. The Sporting News ran stories about Martins 1959 beaning, and even printed a letter to the editor about “The Carl May’s Pitch” from former Major Leaguer Dummy Hoy. The general consensus was that the batter was at the mercy of the headhunters.

Martin gave his final word on the matter, “Nobody, and I mean nobody is going to throw at my head, they can hit me anyplace else, but not in the head.”
    One final note, in his short time in the National League Billy Martin was never hit by a pitch.

Semi-related: Top 10 baseball brawls on ESPN a few years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lHyZhvgkPo
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2000 - Reds vs Rockies in Colorado. Junior was hit in the first game of the series, the Reds retaliated by hitting Larry Walker. In the final game of the series Junior was hit again; Sully retailiated by hitting Brian L. Hunter, who promptly charged the mound.

It wasn't a particularly spectacular brawl, but I was at the game sitting like 10 rows back, so I thought it was pretty awesome.

Mario Soto vs. the Chicago Cubs

Mario Soto vs. the Atlanta Braves

I think these were in 1983.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Rob Dibbe and Lou Pinnella

Eric Davis and Ray Knight was a good one!!

Paul Wilson and the cubs pitcher that kicked Pauls butt.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think the last Reds fight was the Paul Wilson vs Kyle Farnsworth beat down...

Maybe a fight would put a little fire under their butts

Quote Originally Posted by flynn78 View Post
    Eric Davis vs. Ray Knight- Meeting at 3rd base touches off a donnybrook with the feared 1986 Mets.
    Wasn't there also one between Ray Knight of the Reds and Cesar Cedeno of the Astros, or did I dream that? The two were later traded for one another.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

April 13, 1994. Reggie Sanders charged and went ballistic on Pedro Martinez after being hit by a pitch in the eighth inning on an 0-2 count of what had been a perfect game up to that point.

The game was on TV and I remember watching it and thinking Sanders was a nut for thinking a pitcher would lose a chance to be perfect by hitting someone. Years later and getting to know Pedro Martinez better made me think Sanders might have known more than me that day.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Rob Dibbe and Lou Pinnella

Eric Davis and Ray Knight was a good one!!

Paul Wilson and the cubs pitcher that kicked Pauls butt.
    Kyle Farnsworth be thy name.

My favorite was the one involving the Phillies a couple years back.

Carlos Silva plunked Dunn, I don't remember what led up to it, but Dunn took off towards Silva only to be tackled from behind by the Phillies' Catcher Mike Lieberthal.

That was the same brawl that gave us the famous picture of Ray Olmedo jumping over a pile of guys to get to the brawl. (... Like he was gonna do something in the fight anyway, he's gotta be about 5'9" and all of maybe 140 lbs...)

Dunn was quoted after the game as saying something to the effect of... "If Lieberthal hadn't stopped me, I'd probably still be in jail right now if I got to Silva"

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Wasn't there also one between Ray Knight of the Reds and Cesar Cedeno of the Astros, or did I dream that? The two were later traded for one another.
    The July 4th 1979 weekend... the Reds taunted pitcher Joaquin Andujar which led to a brawl featuring Cesar Cedeno and Ray Knight. Knight dropped Cedeno with a punch at third base when words were exchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    My favorite was the one involving the Phillies a couple years back.

Carlos Silva plunked Dunn, I don't remember what led up to it, but Dunn took off towards Silva only to be tackled from behind by the Phillies' Catcher Mike Lieberthal.
    The REDS were killing the Phils that day (ended up winning 15-1). Dunn scored from 2nd base on a single and ran into the catcher on a close play. The Phils thought Dunn was "rubbing it in" b/c the score was like 8-0 at the time of the play. I also don't believe Silva actually hit Adam, but threw a pitch about 5 feet behind Adam!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    That was the same brawl that gave us the famous picture of Ray Olmedo jumping over a pile of guys to get to the brawl. (... Like he was gonna do something in the fight anyway, he's gotta be about 5'9" and all of maybe 140 lbs...)

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    The REDS were killing the Phils that day (ended up winning 15-1). Dunn scored from 2nd base on a single and ran into the catcher on a close play. The Phils thought Dunn was "rubbing it in" b/c the score was like 8-0 at the time of the play. I also don't believe Silva actually hit Adam, but threw a pitch about 5 feet behind Adam!
    Now that you mention it, I do sorta remember Silva throwing behind Dunn.

I really wish we could have seen the result of Dunn meeting Silva.

The one I remember most is what I call the brawl that never happened. Or least that's how this retiree's old brain remembers it. It was during a Monday twilight double-header at Crosley Field, August 15, 1960, against the Milwaukee Braves. I think the date is right, because these were the last games I ever saw at the old ballpark. BTW, I think that Billy martin played 2B in that series.

As best I can recall, base runner Frank Robinson slid into third base (I think going first to third on a single), evidently colliding with Eddie Matthews, possibly upsetting him. I believe that Robby was safe; my attention from the first base side of the field must have been on some other aspect of the play-- the position of the Braves' infielders for a possible cut-off, or the batter's getting to second base on the outfielder's throw, not sure. Anyhow, next thing I know is that Robinson and Matthews are either rolling/wrestling on the infield dirt or standing and grappling; I don't remember if any punches were thrown.

The following might be dead wrong, but I think that:
    (A) IF the dugouts emptied, there was no brawl,
    (B) that Frank and Eddie either were allowed to proceed and stop on their own, or
    (C) that the ump(s) soon intervened,
    (D) and -- to my astonishment -- I think that nobody got ejected.

Sorry about being so vague, but Id be a terrible crime scene witness. What are the odds that some other Zoner also saw that game and can straighten me out on the facts?

Turn Off Ads?