Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Jerry...

Dear Jerry...

Have you ever thought to explore the option of putting out more consistent lineups than you do? It might sting the ego a little bit to acknowledge that winning a baseball game is not a product of your ingenious match-ups, but a product of players getting used to, and mastering their roles. If you want an improvement in situationalhitting, might not your players benefit from being exposed to certain situations more frequently? For instance, hitting #2 is a difficult task. Contact hitting, hit and run, and advancing runners takes a little time to master. Have one guy hit there for a couple weeks. Why won't you let one of your (*&^* players be in that slot long enough to learn it? To feel it, to develop an instinct for it, for his talent to come out? My solution to the Reds offensive woes: less genius, more consistency. For one who preaches "the little things" Jerry, learn this big thing: baseball is an arithmetic, not a calculus.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Dear Jerry...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Have you ever thought to explore the option of putting out more consistent lineups than you do? It might sting the ego a little bit to acknowledge that winning a baseball game is not a product of your ingenious match-ups, but a product of players getting used to, and mastering their roles. If you want an improvement in situationalhitting, might not your players benefit from being exposed to certain situations more frequently? For instance, hitting #2 is a difficult task. Contact hitting, hit and run, and advancing runners takes a little time to master. Have one guy hit there for a couple weeks. Why won't you let one of your (*&^* players be in that slot long enough to learn it? To feel it, to develop an instinct for it, for his talent to come out? My solution to the Reds offensive woes: less genius, more consistency. For one who preaches "the little things" Jerry, learn this big thing: baseball is an arithmetic, not a calculus.
    Waste of energy and waste of breath. Jerry Narron is Jerry Narron. Jerry will continue to bat low-OBP Brandon Phillips No 2. He'll continue to break up righties (if we have any left) with lefties, and he'll continue to not have a clue on when to pull a pitcher or who to replace said pitcher with. He'll continue to have faith in David Ross and Juan Castro. He'll mystify us with his boneheaded moves and most of Reds nation will love him because , "it could be much worse," "He doesn't have anything to work with," or "Nobody expected us to be this good," as we have another below-.500 year. He's the one true love of Wayne Krivsky who knows how to manage the right way.

May god have mercy on us all.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He's not the worst manager in the world, but the Reds overall can do a lot better.

His record indicates it....and so does the continuing lack of fundamentals and "little things" that are constantly preached.

He makes a lot of head-scratching decisions....but not as many as the people who abolutely have a flat out hate for him will tell you....they'll blame EVERYTHING they can on him...no matter how far fetched, or out of his control.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He's not the worst manager in the world, but the Reds overall can do a lot better.

His record indicates it....and so does the continuing lack of fundamentals and "little things" that are constantly preached.

He makes a lot of head-scratching decisions....but not as many as the people who abolutely have a flat out hate for him will tell you....they'll blame EVERYTHING they can on him...no matter how far fetched, or out of his control.
    Matt:

Which leads us to the question...if we are so committed to winning, as our owner says, why do we have a guy who does not practice what he preaches and leaves you scratching your head stay in charge?

No hate for the man. My brother, who knows Jerry, says he's a fine man. I've been arond long enough to know that even guys I really like sometimes cannot be successful in certain areas. Take that for what it's worth.

I know one thing if I know nothing else. i can spot a winner very easily. I can spot a loser just as easily, though it might take time. Our manager is not a winner by any stretch of that statement. The fact that I can recognize that does not make me any more intelligent nor better than anyone else.

I want to win games and compete for playoff spots. I thought that's what the ownership wanted. The current situation, no matter how you spin it, will not provide that in the near term. When Castilini started talking with Sweet Lou, I thought there was hope . When Krivsky extended Narron after last May I knew it was going to be false hope. Winners are winners and losers are losers. I can tell the difference.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Once the bats start blazing, this team will be okay. It's just a slump, people.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Matt:

Which leads us to the question...if we are so committed to winning, as our owner says, why do we have a guy who does not practice what he preaches and leaves you scratching your head stay in charge?

I want to win games and compete for playoff spots. I thought that's what the ownership wanted. When Castilini started talking with Sweet Lou, I thought there was hope . When Krivsky extended Narron after last May I knew it was going to be false hope. .
    Why is it that because they make moves you don't agree with the only possible conclusion is that they are complete liars and idiots who don't really want to win or can't figure out how to do so?

Is that the only feasable reason in the universe of reasons as to why they make the moves they do? It's either do it WVRedsfan's way or they don't really want to win?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

He's certainly far from the best.

This team continues to win in spite of Jerry Narron.

I don't blame Narron for the performance of individual players, but I do blame him for putting said players in situations destined for failure.

Example 1: Stop giving Eric Milton the ball.
    This is not a winning proposition. By continuing to leave Milton in the starting rotation, rather than auditioning anyone in the bullpen (Santos or Saarloos), or giving someone in AAA a chance, Narron continues to baffle.

Example 2: Taking players out of their comfortable roles
    Edwin Encarnacion shouldn't be asked to bunt if he's the clean up hitter. It's not that he can't bunt, or won't bunt, it's that he shouldn't be asked to bunt. Why take the bat out of your clean up hitter and make him uncomfortable with the task at hand?

Brandon Phillips is not an OBP guy. Sure, he has speed, but you need to get on base to utilize that speed. Unfortunately, we have 3 guys that are either 7th or 8th spot guys (Gonzalez, Ross, Phillips), so that means the best Phillips should ever bat in the lineup is 6th. Gonzalez 7th, Ross 8th. Get out a Sharpie, and write it on your lineup cards, Jerry. Batting those 3 anywhere but 6, 7 and 8 is taking them out of their comfortable roles. Stop doing it.

Example 3: Lineup construction not offering players protection
    If you want to maximize production, offer your bigger/better hitters (Hamilton, Dunn, Griffey, Encarnacion) some protection. Unfortunately, whomever gets slated for the 5 spot will be protected by Brandon Phillips in the 6 hole. That's zero protection. We also lack a legitimate lead off guy, so while we should be strong in the 2, 3, 4, and 5 spots, we are seemingly weak in the 1, 6, 7, and 8 spots. I don't care how ya do it Jerry, but Hamilton, Dunn, Griffey and Encarnacion should be in those 2 through 5 spots. Anything else is criminal.

Example 4: Let's not see Harang and Arroyo combine for 450+ IP in 2007.
    I know you don't have a lot of faith in the bullpen, and most of us don't either, but rather than checking AARP cards when you summon one of the ageless wonders, how about you put our bullpeners (is that even a word?!) in a situation to succeed? Coffey's been getting knocked around lately you say? How about we see more of Santos or Saarloos? Not happy with Stanton or Cormier? Give the ball to Coutlangus. I'm sure you have an advanced scouting department, and hopefully some research materials at your finger tips. Start playing match ups.

Example 5: What to do with Ryan Freel?
    It's simple. Platoon him with Griffey in RF to maximize both of their respective healths. RHB and LHB. Almost makes too much sense. They both need days off, and aren't everyday players. I wish they both were, but we need to accept the reality they aren't, and use them to the best of their collective and respective abilities. Josh Hamilton is our best defensive OF on the 25 man right now, so let him roam CF.

Ultimately, the players are accountable for executing, but you need to put them in the best situations possible to yield the best/most desireable result.

Alexi Casilla and Nick Punto were 1,2 in the Twins lineup this weekend. That's all that needs to be said. It could be worse. The AL MVP is batting 5th in their lineup. They waste the first two spots.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Alexi Casilla and Nick Punto were 1,2 in the Twins lineup this weekend. That's all that needs to be said. It could be worse. The AL MVP is batting 5th in their lineup. They waste the first two spots.
    It's stuff like this - and Joe Torre playing Tony Womack in CF for 22 games in 2005 - and Jim Leyland batting Neifi Perez leadoff - and every move Grady Little ever made - that all makes me wonder if there are any managers who really know what they're doing.

Narron drives me insane - but who's better?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52 View Post
    It's just a slump, people.
    or maybe a lack of offensive ability.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I'm generally not a Narron basher but his constant shuffling of the lineup is maddening. I really think it is counter productive too. I think players do better when there is a level of consistency to the lineup.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm generally not a Narron basher but his constant shuffling of the lineup is maddening. I really think it is counter productive too. I think players do better when there is a level of consistency to the lineup.
    Absolutely.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I agree with Wheelhouse, WVRedsFan, and Highlifeman21 and their themes.

I don’t think that Narron can leave it alone (psychologically) even when he does find a lineup that performs and produces well for the team. I have seen him time and again stumble upon a lineup that goes out and hits and scores well, even season highs, then he changes the mix.

Never know where Dunn, Phillips, or Encarcion might be hitting one day to the next, anyone sure that the inconsistency by Narron does not effect Dunn, Phillips or Encarcion?

Also that one old guy, Conine, seems to have something left in the tank when it comes to hitting. He showed some life and then he disappeared, why?

Why can right hander’s hit righties, but lefthanders can’t hit lefties if given enough exposure to them in Narron’s theory?

What happens if Dunn and Encarcion are given consistent protection within a consistent lineup, does some of their problems lessen?

Odd the more inconsistent the lineup over time, the more inconsistent some of the hitters seem to become. No, of course, I cannot support or prove that conclusion. Yet I don’t think that Narron can support that his chronic mixing and matching is enhancing offensive performance or production either by the results during his managing tenure.

They don’t have a true lead off hitter, batters need protection, lefties need separated?

Why not the following?
    Encarcion
    Dunn
    Conine
    Griffey
    Hamilton
    Phillips
    Ross
    Gonzalez
    Pitcher

Swim or drown with them until Krivsky can find upgrades.

Leaves Narron Freel, Hatteberg and Javy to rotate, pinch hit, pinch run, give guys a needed day off. Of course Narron will have to do that everyday, unfortunately, and defeating the chance to see if it did make a difference in individual and team performances.

I have seen Dunn hit quite well after having a day off, no not a day off to send a message or to punish, just a day off. Maybe some folks just need to get away from the task or office for awhile and then they are ready to go again.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-24-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Matt:

No hate for the man. My brother, who knows Jerry, says he's a fine man. I've been arond long enough to know that even guys I really like sometimes cannot be successful in certain areas. Take that for what it's worth.

I know one thing if I know nothing else. i can spot a winner very easily. I can spot a loser just as easily, though it might take time. Our manager is not a winner by any stretch of that statement. The fact that I can recognize that does not make me any more intelligent nor better than anyone else.

I want to win games and compete for playoff spots. I thought that's what the ownership wanted. The current situation, no matter how you spin it, will not provide that in the near term. When Castilini started talking with Sweet Lou, I thought there was hope . When Krivsky extended Narron after last May I knew it was going to be false hope. Winners are winners and losers are losers. I can tell the difference.
    Having another manager, with a better track record, and a bit more fire would be fine with me. More of a "my way or the highway" type of attitude may be what this team needs.

I'm tired of seeing the same crap not being improved year in and year out, yet hearing how much better they have to improve it.

Well.....hello?

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52 View Post
    Once the bats start blazing, this team will be okay. It's just a slump, people.
    In the last 47 games, this TEAM has hit .229, and scored 3.6 runs a game...that's since September 1st. That all can't be put on Jerry, Wayne signs the players.....however, I don't know if a more consistant lineup would help it, giving the guys a role to work in.

That's one hell of a slump.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-24-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Turn Off Ads?