Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IF the Reds Were to Trade Adam Dunn...

IF the Reds Were to Trade Adam Dunn...

...they should go after (see below for three important disclaimers):

_______________ (fill in the blank)

For my part, IF they were to entertain such a move, I would be hoping a thumping right-handed stick and solid young starting pitching prospect would be in the return. If they could talk KC into it, Alex Gordon/Zack Grienke, for instance (or Luke Hochevar if you prefer). Or if they could talk LAA into it, Brandon Wood and one of their pitching prospects. Something along those lines. I would want a couple of players with massive upside who are major league ready now. I think, if WK deals Dunn (or entertains dealing Dunn), that should be the bottom line for any such discussions.

What I am curious about is what some of the more level-headed types on this part of the board think the proper return would be for someone like Dunn. It's a question worth musing over, especially in light of how most of this board (including me) feels about the return that AK and Felipe brought a year ago.

* Disclaimer 1: This is NOT a bash Adam Dunn thread. I think he is spectacularly undervalued amongst Reds fans. Without question.

** Disclaimer 2: I am NOT advocating they deal him, just wondering what a realistic return for him might be. This is prompted in part by that insane Dunn for Tori Hunter thread idea on Reds Live. My soul still weeps over that suggestion.

*** Disclaimer 3: If I missed a similar thread on this of recent vintage, I deeply apologize, and please merge these ramblings therein if so, mods.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-24-2007 at 02:03 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: IF the Reds Were to Trade Adam Dunn...

I would be too highly upset for, at least, a month to even consider what they got in return. Other than that, I would really half to think about it. There probably aren't 15 players I would rather have than Adam Dunn, seriously.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Let the freaking out begin.

I would go after a package of young players. Like a ML ready starter, a minor league reliever with some upside and a minor league bat. I wouldn't want a trade with one key guy, since injuries do happen and I would need pitching in any deal involving Dunn. I wouldn't want to see my one pitcher blow out his elbow and we end up with nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I would be too highly upset for, at least, a month to even consider what they got in return. Other than that, I would really half to think about it. There probably aren't 15 players I would rather have than Adam Dunn, seriously.
    Again, I hear you. But, putting that aside, seriously, I am curious about what you think a return should be. There are no untouchables on this roster right now, in theory. Looking for a grown-up discussion about what he might (or should) fetch.

Edabbs...I designate this as a NON-freaking out thread.

One other thought from me, Craig Monroe/Andrew Miller (detroit's #1 last year---unless Miller can't be dealt yet, don't know that part of baseball's rules well enough)...
    Last edited by membengal; 04-24-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Again, I hear you. But, putting that aside, seriously, I am curious about what you think a return should be. There are no untouchables on this roster right now, in theory. Looking for a grown-up discussion about what he might (or should) fetch.

Edabbs...I designate this as a NON-freaking out thread.

One other thought from me, Craig Monroe/Andrew Miller (detroit's #1 last year---unless Miller can't be dealt yet, don't know that part of baseball's rules well enough)...
    that's strange, I was thinking Andrew Miller as well. How about Dunn for Miller, Brandon Inge, and a low level prospect? You could put EdE at 1st or left and Inge at 3rd. That seriously hampers the offense though.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Honestly, if the Reds were to trade Dunn for prospects, then I don't think it would matter whether or not they got position or pitching prospects, because it would almost have to signal other moves since he is such a large part of this offense. Without Dunn, this team has a much smaller, if any at all, chance to compete, and more moves should be made.

However, here is my thought to the return, and the Reds would have to add to this, Dunn and PTBL to Arizona for Hairston and Carlos Gonzalez. I am higher than some on Gonzalez. Would prefer Chris Young, but I do like Gonzalez. Helps the Diamondbacks with Dunn in their lineup, but they also have Carlos Quentin, so possibilities of this deal happening are slim.

To LAA, I would trade him for Brandon Wood and John Lackey.
    To COL, I would consider trading him for Troy Tulowitzki and Jeff Francis/Jason Hirsh. (Can you imagine how many HRs AD would hit in COL?!)
    To DET, I would trade him for Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller (but you'd have to wait until June)
    To TB, I would trade him for BJ Upton and Scott Kazmir (now maybe I'm getting a little greedy...)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    To COL, I would consider trading him for Troy Tulowitzki and Jeff Francis/Jason Hirsh. (Can you imagine how many HRs AD would hit in COL?!)
    To DET, I would trade him for Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller (but you'd have to wait until June)
    To TB, I would trade him for BJ Upton and Scott Kazmir (now maybe I'm getting a little greedy...)
    I don't believe any of those teams would make those moves.

... they should go after quality, not quantity. Exactly the opposite approach of "the trade".
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Didn't the Tigers want a left handed power bat last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    that's strange, I was thinking Andrew Miller as well. How about Dunn for Miller, Brandon Inge, and a low level prospect? You could put EdE at 1st or left and Inge at 3rd. That seriously hampers the offense though.
    I'm pretty sure the Tigers would laugh off the offer to trade Dunn for Miller straightup....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

OMG that's so NOT going to happen.

"This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

at this point Dunn doesn't have a lot of trade value. WK would do well to get one good prospect. If he is dealt, this is his walk year, lessening his value. Obviously from a talent perspective it would cause a downgrade in the short-term so I doubt Wayne would entertain it until he determines the Reds are out of the race.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

AD back home to the Astros for Hunter Pence and Troy Patten. The hometown team might go for that. And with the money saved in salary the Reds could get them a free-agent stick.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

I think someone spilled some soda in your keyboard; your "OMG that's so NOT going to happen" macro is stuck.

New board'll only set you back about 10 bones, 'case you're concerned it'll cost too much to replace.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?