Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adopting a dog.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Adopting a dog.

As you may know from a previous thread, I had to have my dog put to sleep last week. We've gradually gotten to the point that we think we are ready to fill the vast void with a new best friend.

I went with my sister to the pet store today and we found a dog that we fell in love with right away, same breed and everything as our last, but I've heard bad things about buying from a pet store.

So my question for you Columbus zoners is, do any of you have any experience with shelters/animal rescues in the area? Any help at all would be appreciated, as I've never really gone through the process before. Best places to look, places to avoid etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adopting a dog.

The best dog we ever owned my wife bought from a pet store. She ridiculously overpaid for him, and he had a few issues (his tale, in particular, was cropped wayyy too short), but he was the best dog we've ever owned.

If you are going to adopt from a shelter or rescue place I would strongly advise getting a young puppy. Not a dog that has been in a home before. We rescued another dog from an owner's home. They advertised her as free to a good home and my wife went to pick her up and she was locked in a closet with a water bowl. The dog was severely messed up mentally and we recently had to send her off to a rescue shelter where they were going to put her through tests to see if she was capable of being "saved and later placed" or if she would have to be put down. That dog should have been put to sleep before we got her and shouldn't have been placed in another home. Just FYI, you don't want to adopt an already "damaged" dog. It's a lose-lose for you and the pet.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Yeah, I'm looking almost exclusively at getting a puppy. My brother actually got my dog from a pet store and he did pretty well for himself over all those years, I've just heard lots of propaganda against pet stores recently for whatever reason, so I'm not ruling it out, just looking at exercising all my options first.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Yeah, I'm looking almost exclusively at getting a puppy. My brother actually got my dog from a pet store and he did pretty well for himself over all those years, I've just heard lots of propaganda against pet stores recently for whatever reason, so I'm not ruling it out, just looking at exercising all my options first.
    It's tough with the pet stores. I suppose it helps to look online to see if there's anything about where that pet shop gets its dogs. The concern is that the pet shops go through puppy mills, which overbreed dogs for money making purposes, without regard to potential health or hereditary issues that breed might have, then keep the dogs in unsanitary and inhumane conditions. On the other hand, you see those puppies in there and even if you don't like where it came from, it's hard to say "no" to a puppy when it looks into your eyes.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Conversely, remember that everyone wants a cute little puppy and many of those 'dogs' you will walk by will end up put down if someone with a big heart doesn't take them.

Sure there are going to be problem dogs, but I'd wager they aren't as prevalent as you might think and many of the dogs in the shelter are just fine and looking for a nice home.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I PMed HHF with some info, but I also wanted to post here that I have been involved in Greyhound rescue, specifically Team Greyhound Adoption of Ohio (www.teamgreyhound.com) for the past 5 years. I'd encourage anyone looking for a slightly used dog to consider a greyhound.

Greys get a bad rap because the perception is that they are so mistreated as racers that they'll never socialize. This program is different. They take dogs from the track to Ohio prisons for 3-4 months to allow the inmate-workers to help socialize them. It's a fantastic program for dogs and humans. Greys are outstanding dogs.

I have three right now.

http://www.teamgreyhound.com/available_greyhounds.htm
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I PMed HHF with some info, but I also wanted to post here that I have been involved in Greyhound rescue, specifically Team Greyhound Adoption of Ohio (www.teamgreyhound.com) for the past 5 years. I'd encourage anyone looking for a slightly used dog to consider a greyhound.

Greys get a bad rap because the perception is that they are so mistreated as racers that they'll never socialize. This program is different. They take dogs from the track to Ohio prisons for 3-4 months to allow the inmate-workers to help socialize them. It's a fantastic program for dogs and humans. Greys are outstanding dogs.

I have three right now.

A good rescue organization like this is also a good option because they take time to get to know the dogs so that they can match you with a dog that will better fit your household. For example, if a dog has a tendency to nip or is nervous around kids, they won't put them in a house with small children.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I know labs are pretty popular, but I was checking out this page and couldn't help but notice all the pups with names of Reds players.

http://www.rescuealab.com/dogs/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    A good rescue organization like this is also a good option because they take time to get to know the dogs so that they can match you with a dog that will better fit your household. For example, if a dog has a tendency to nip or is nervous around kids, they won't put them in a house with small children.
    True, true. For the first grey that I adopted, TGAO did a home visit and everything. It took me longer to get a dog than for Angelina Jolie to adopt a Vietnamese child.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Are you considering a particular breed? If so, I'd look for a breeder. Someone who shows dogs and raises that breed for themselves.

A shelter dog is great too. Talk to your shelter. They should be fine with you spending some time there before making a final decision. We used to encourage it because our goal was to make successful matches.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I'm not a fan of cats and dogs from pet stores, simply because of the puppy farms.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I'm not a fan of cats and dogs from pet stores, simply because of the puppy farms.
    Yep, puppy mills are bottom of the barrel as far as I am concerned, although the dogs they produce do tend to put a lot of money in veterinarians' pockets.

If you want to buy a purebred dog, go to a reputable breeder. If the conditions at the breeder's place is not satisfactory to you, move on. If you are looking at retrievers or other sporting/working dogs, go to a breeder who uses their dogs "in the field" rather than for show.

My practice does work for a local rescue organization. In my experience, the dogs they have are there for a reason. Maybe you can overlook the flaws in those dogs, and maybe you can't. Make sure they allow a "test drive" period if you choose to go that route. On the other hand, my boss does have several greyhounds who were rescued off the track, and they are very nice dogs. Dogs out of shelters can run anywhere from wonderful to nearly unacceptable. The nicer shelters now have play areas where you can spend some time with the dog before making a decision. In the case of either rescues or shelters, the younger the dog, the better chance you have of getting less problems.

Wherever you decide to get your dog, don't make up your mind on the first visit. At the least, go out for lunch and talk it over. If you like the dog as well or better on the second visit, then you have made a good decision. If you don't like the dog as well the second time, keep looking.

Vaccinations, deworming, heartworm preventative, and flea control are all VERY important to the health of you dog. A visit with your veterinarian the week after you get your new dog is important. Also, please spay or neuter.

Good luck!

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

I have three right now.

I have a deep love for sighthounds like afghans and greyhounds. (Met a terrific borzoi last night---she was beautiful!) Most people hear greyhound, afghan or look at them and think 'OMG, they'll need to run all the time!' Not so---yes, they like to run when they have the opportunity but they are just as happy as 'couch potatoes'. Stake out a cushy spot and they are happy as a pig in slop. Great temperment, good with kids and other dogs.

Remdog's 'running mate', Stevie (a blond afi named after Stevie Nicks for the similar hair) was a rescue from the pound. She was terrific, loving funny and, other than getting car sick whenever we tried to take her somewhere ( ) no physical problems.

Rem

We stole both of our dogs.

The one we had to put down last week lived across the street from my mother-in-law. He was just a pup and the people who owned him were abusive. My mother-in-law called the cops, but they said they couldn't do anything unless the saw the abuse or signs of it.

So one day he broke off his chain and was running out in traffic. My mother-in-law picked him up, put him in the car and drove him to our house. He lived a pampered and loved life for 16.5 years after that.

The other dog lived in a home where she was ignored. Totally. The parents got a divorce and asked us if we could keep her until one of them found an apt that would take pets. FOUR years later the wife asked for her back (hadn't even called to see how she was all that time). We refused. That pup is now 16 and queen of the house.

So I said all that to say this. Rescue a dog. Maybe a little more conventionally than we did, but a rescued dog is a great dog.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?