Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adopting a dog.

Re: Adopting a dog.

I wonder if a lot of it has to do with shedding. Black fur has a tendency to show up on light colored carpets. Personally, I love black dogs. The best dogs I've ever had were a black lab mix and a border collie (tri-color, but predominantly black). Were I to get another dog after Traubi passes on, I'd prefer a black lab, a chocolate lab, or a newfoundland.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I wonder if a lot of it has to do with shedding. Black fur has a tendency to show up on light colored carpets. Personally, I love black dogs. The best dogs I've ever had were a black lab mix and a border collie (tri-color, but predominantly black). Were I to get another dog after Traubi passes on, I'd prefer a black lab, a chocolate lab, or a newfoundland.
    If you like those three, don't rule out a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. A friend of mine in college had one and he was one of the best dogs I've ever known. Smart and had the demeanor of a golden, or a yellow lab. Cheseapeake Bay retrievers are chocolate colored with a wavy coat on their backs. Other than that, they look almost identical to chocolate labs, *without the hyperness because of that recessive gene.

*for Puffy
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-11-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Worth The Wait

Dogs rule......

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    If you like those three, don't rule out a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. A friend of mine in college had one and he was one of the best dogs I've ever known. Smart and had the demeanor of a golden, or a yellow lab. Cheseapeake Bay retrievers are chocolate colored with a wavy coat on their backs. Other than that, they look almost identical to chocolate labs, *without the hyperness because of that recessive gene.

*for Puffy
    Thanks for the tip. They're beautiful dogs.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Here's my border collie mix, adopted from the Lorain Co. Animal Protection League in 1997.

Chesapeake's are great dogs. Very smart and friendly, eager to please.

* By the way, for those wondering, the reason Red Leader knows so much about recessive genes is because he is a victim of a recessive gene.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

The best dog I've ever had is a mutt. She's loyal, has a great disposition and was a dream to train. The girl will down stay in the middle of the street if I ask her to and is perfectly walkable off lead. Couldn't ask for a better dog.

I've had pure breeds and I worry about the disposition. Golden Retrievers, of all dogs, now have this strain of snippiness running through them from poor breeding. It's not that I object to breeding, but I think you have to be careful because some people are churning them out right and left without regard to temperment.

My vote is to go to a shelter and find a nice medium sized mix female. The girls are much easier to train, especially if they are edging out of puppyhood IMO. If I were going to adopt tomorrow I'd look for something with terrier shephard or retriever tendencies. My old girl has a lot of sheephound in her, which can be a little on the annoying side (she herds things, like kids and other dogs), but overall I think whatever else is bred into her has evened out the oddities of her sheephoundedness.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?